Whole30 Taco Salad (Paleo)
This Whole30 Taco Salad is loaded with the best flavors and textures! It is a little spicy, so fresh, and healthy. This Paleo taco salad takes less than 30 minutes to make. It is completely customizable and great for busy weeknights.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This Whole30 Taco Salad is easy, healthy and delicious!
- It requires only one skillet and less than 30 minutes to make.
- Ground pork, ground chicken, ground turkey and ground beef can all be used. These Paleo Carnitas would be great too!
- This Paleo taco salad is great for meal prep and leftovers.
- The topping possibilities are endless.
- This recipe is Whole30 compliant, Paleo, gluten free, dairy free and sugar free.
- Check out this Whole30 and Paleo Taco Skillet for another easy dinner.
What is Taco Salad?
Taco salad is a Tex-Mex salad that combines all the flavors of a taco in salad form.
Oftentimes, taco salad is served in a fried tortilla shell with the ingredients inside. Common ingredients are lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cheese, meat and salsa.
Since this recipe is Whole30 approved, it is made without the taco shell. Instead, the flavors of a taco are all atop a bed of mixed greens.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Ground beef can be substituted with ground turkey, ground pork, or ground chicken. I suggest using a ground meat that is not too lean. For this recipe, I used 90% lean ground beef.
The minced garlic and spices all add so much flavor! Paprika, chili powder and cayenne pepper add some heat and spice. Cumin is a very popular and common taco seasoning flavor. Onion powder adds the right amount of onion flavor without being overpowering.
Baby kale, mixed greens, romaine or spinach are all great bases for this Paleo taco salad. I used and loved Earthbound Farm Fresh Organic Baby Kale!
Mashed avocado is a creamy and delicious topping. Use ripe avocados for best results.
Halved tomatoes and chopped red onion provide some freshness, color and flavor.
A squeeze of lime juice adds some moisture and tartness. See below for dressing options.
Whole30 Taco Seasoning
Unfortunately most store bought taco seasoning contains added sugar. For Whole30, homemade taco seasoning is the way to go.
This blend contains paprika, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper. I suggest tasting while you cook. Then, make any adjustments in terms of heat and spice.
How to Make
First, add ground beef to a skillet over medium heat.
Cook until brown and crumbly, breaking apart with spatula. Drain excess grease from skillet.
Then, add in water and seasonings. Simmer for 3 minutes or until water is soaked up.
Remove meat from heat. Assemble salads. Add kale to plates.
Top with meat mixture, tomatoes, onions, and mashed avocado. Garnish with a squeeze of lime juice.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Simmer meat mixture and seasonings until water has soaked up. Once water is gone, remove from heat.
Taste while you cook. Make any adjustments with seasonings and spices as needed.
Use ripe avocados for best results.
How to Serve & Store
Serve taco salad immediately after making it.
Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
If making ahead of time, store meat mixture separately from salad ingredients. Then, mash avocado just before eating.
This Paleo taco salad has creamy mashed avocado and a squeeze of lime juice. It is not dry, but the addition of salad dressing would make it more like a traditional salad. Here are some options.
Whole30 Ranch dressing with some chipotle powder mixed in
Avocado crema from these Whole30 Taco Sweet Potato Skins
Frequently Asked Questions
Sure! Double check ingredients to make sure it is Whole30 approved if needed.
Yes. Ground turkey, ground pork and ground chicken work well.
Yes, this taco salad can be made ahead of time. Store meat mixture and salad ingredients separately.
You May Also Like
Get the Recipe: Whole30 Taco Salad (Paleo)
- First, add ground beef to a skillet over medium heat.
- Use spatula to break up meat. Cook until brown and crumbly. Then discard excess grease from pan.
- To the skillet, add water, minced garlic, paprika, cumin, onion powder, chili powder, and cayenne powder. Stir to combine. Simmer for 3 minutes or until water is mostly gone.
- Then, remove meat from heat.
- Assemble salads. Place baby kale or mixed greens on plate. Top with meat mixture, halved tomatoes, diced onion, and mashed avocado.
- Add a squeeze of lime juice to eat salad. Serve!
- Ground beef can be replaced by ground turkey, ground chicken or ground pork.
- Allow meat mixture and seasonings to simmer until water has been soaked up. Do not let it burn or get too dry.
- Baby kale or mixed greens are great for this salad. If desired, spinach and romaine work well too.
- Salsa is another great topping for this taco salad.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- If making ahead of time, I suggest storing the meat mixture separate from the salad ingredients. Additionally, mash the avocados just before eating.
Love this Whole30 Taco Salad? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans and new recipes!