Matcha Chocolate Chip Cookies
These Matcha Chocolate Chip Cookies are chewy, delicious and so easy! The addition of matcha powder adds the perfect amount of green tea taste. This matcha cookie recipe is quick, straightforward and foolproof!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These matcha chocolate chip cookies are a fun twist on classic cookies.
- The matcha flavor is subtle and not overpowering.
- Matcha has many health benefits. It is chock full of antioxidants.
- The green color is naturally occurring and so fun!
- These one mixing bowl cookies do not require any chilling time.
- This recipe is gluten free!
- Check out these Matcha Brownies for another fun dessert!
What is Matcha?
Matcha means powdered tea. In normal tea, the tea leaves are dropped into the hot water and then later discarded. With matcha, the tea leaves have been ground up into a fine powder and then added to the water.
Matcha is high in antioxidants and offers several other health benefits. In addition, matcha is much higher in caffeine than traditional tea.
Baking with Matcha Powder
The matcha powder is subtle in both quantity and taste. It is naturally very fine and bright green.
With these cookies, the matcha powder adds color, flavor, and taste. These cookies have a very slight matcha aftertaste that leaves you wanting more!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Use room temperature butter for best results. Melted butter will yield runny cookies that spread too thin. I haven’t tried this recipe with Vegan butter or coconut oil, but I think room temperature coconut oil would work.
Both brown sugar and white sugar add sweetness. Pack brown sugar well before measuring.
The egg is definitely necessary for these cookies. I do not recommend an egg replacement.
Every cookie recipe needs some vanilla extract for extra flavor!
This recipe can be made with either gluten free 1 to 1 flour or all purpose flour. I used King Arthur Flour 1 to 1 gluten free flour and it worked well!
Matcha powder can be tough to find. I ordered mine off Amazon and bought the brand Jade Leaf. I highly recommend using an unsweetened all natural powder.
A little baking soda helps these cookies rise.
For the chocolate chips, use desired size and flavor. White chocolate chips would be great here! I used dark chocolate mini chocolate chips and dark chocolate regular sized.
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
In a stand mixer or large bowl, cream together softened butter, brown sugar and white sugar.
Add in egg and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
Then, add in all remaining ingredients except chocolate chips. Stir to combine.
Fold in chocolate chips.
Use cookie scoop to drop balls of dough onto lined baking pan.
Bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until cookies are just set in the middle.
Finally, remove from oven. Allow to cool on pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Room temperature (slightly softened) butter is the best.
Cream together butter and sugars until fully combined.
Tightly pack brown sugar while measuring.
Balls of dough should be about 1 tablespoon in size before baking.
Bake until cookies are just done in the middle. Do not over bake!
How to Serve & Store
Serve cookies once they are cool enough to handle.
Store cookies covered at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Store in the fridge for up to 7 days.
These cookies freeze well! Wrap each individual cookie and freeze for up to 2 months.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, matcha and chocolate are a good combination.
A little bit of matcha powder doesn’t heavily affect baking. It changes the color of your dessert to green and leaves a subtle tea taste.
These cookies taste like classic chocolate chip cookies with a very subtle green tea taste.
I have only found it on Amazon.
You May Also Like
If you make this recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Dessert Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Matcha Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups gluten free 1 to 1 flour, or all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp matcha powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup chocolate chips, regular or white chocolate
- First, preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a stand mixer or large mixing bowl, cream together butter, brown sugar and white sugar until mixed.
- Then, add in egg and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
- Add in remaining ingredients except chocolate chips. Stir until combined.
- Then, fold in chocolate chips.
- Use a cookie scoop to drop balls of dough onto lined baking pan. Dough should be about 1 tablespoon in size.
- Bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until middles of cookies are just set.
- Finally, remove from oven. Allow cookies to cool on pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- Use room temperature softened butter for best results. Do not melt butter! If you forget to take the butter out before making these, microwave butter for 10 seconds to soften it.
- Tightly pack brown sugar while measuring.
- I used King Arthur Flour gluten free 1 to 1 flour. All purpose works as well.
- I used a combination of regular dark chocolate chips and mini chocolate chips. White chocolate chips work well too!
- Balls of dough should be about 1 tablespoon in size.
- Bake until cookies are just set in the middle. Do not over bake!
Love these matcha chocolate chip cookies? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans and new recipes!
14 Comments on “Matcha Chocolate Chip Cookies”
I usually don’t love when I use King Arthur gluten free flour, but this recipe was perfect, the texture was crispy on outside and chewy on the inside, just like how I love cookies to be, and the flavor was perfect too, did not taste gluten free!
Hello! I am so glad to hear that. Thank you for making these cookies and reporting back!
Never had matcha-flavored cookies before but it totally works! Delicious recipe
delicious recipe, thank you for sharing!
These matcha chocolate chip cookies are so unique and fun! I loved making them with my family!
These were really delicious. They were also quite easy to make so I know that I’ll be making them again. Thank you.
Love that these are gluten free. They were delicious.
I cannot wait to try these!! I loooove a good chocolate chip cookie and matcha sounds like a yummy and unique addition. I think these would be really fun for Halloween too
What a fun twist on a chocolate chip cookie!! Must try!
Matcha in a choc chip cookie? Yum! And they are such a great colour 🙂
Looks super yummy! Going to try these cookies this weekend!
I’ve not tried matcha in cookies but these look delicious..
Please can you provide metric measurements as well.
Metric is the best to make cookies but when they don’t give metric measurements, I just spoon the flour into the cup and then level it off with the back of a knife, it worked for this recipe