Dairy Free Buffalo Chicken Dip (Whole30)
This dairy free buffalo chicken dip is hands down my favorite appetizer ever. It is creamy, a little spicy, and oh so delicious. This recipe is easy to whip up and comes out so tasty every single time. Make this for your next game day party appetizer and everyone will enjoy it!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This dairy free buffalo chicken dip is so creamy and delicious!
- It is great for game day appetizers, entertaining, holidays and rainy days.
- This non dairy dip can be as spicy or mild as your prefer. Add more or less hot sauce to suit your taste.
- This Whole30 appetizer is great with celery, chopped peppers, with spaghetti squash, or by the spoonful.
- Great for those with a dairy allergy or lactose intolerance.
- For non Whole30, it is great with chips, crackers and gluten free bread.
- This recipe is Whole30 compliant, Paleo, gluten free, dairy free, sugar free, Keto, and low carb.
- For a full meal, serve over spaghetti squash.
- Check out these Whole30 Buffalo Chicken Meatballs for another fun appetizer!
- You may also like this Cranberry Jalapeno Dip for the holidays.
What is Buffalo Chicken Dip?
Buffalo chicken dip is a super creamy dip traditionally consisting of cream cheese, buffalo hot sauce, chicken and spices.
This dip is usually both creamy and spicy. Feel free to adjust the amount of hot sauce as needed.
To make this lactose free buffalo chicken dip, cream cheese is replaced by dairy free mayonnaise and canned coconut cream. It is just as creamy and delicious as the traditional version!
This buffalo chicken dip without cheese is so delicious!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for dairy free buffalo chicken dip. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
For Whole30 buffalo chicken dip, use a nonstick spray without any added sugars or preservatives. Chosen Foods Avocado Oil Spray is 100% avocado oil and a great option.
Finely chopped onions provide a pop of flavor in this popular appetizer.
Freshly minced garlic adds a great depth of flavor to this dairy free dip.
Use shredded, cooked chicken for this recipe. The only rotisserie chicken I’ve found that is Whole30 is from Whole Foods. Otherwise, use shredded chicken breast or thighs.
The dairy free mayonnaise adds a lot of creaminess.
In addition, the canned coconut cream adds all the cream! This dairy free alternative to heavy cream is great for Whole30. I buy the brand Thai.
Use a sugar free hot sauce to keep this Whole30. The hot sauce provides all the heat!
Ground mustard is totally underrated in my opinion. Just a little bit goes a lot way here!
Other ingredients include onion powder, ground pepper, garlic powder, and chopped basil.
How To Make
First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a casserole dish with avocado oil spray and set aside.
Sauté onions and minced garlic in olive oil over low-medium heat. Remove from heat when onions are soft, about 4-5 minutes of cooking.
Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and combine. Then, pour into greased pan and cook for 30 minutes, until top is bubbling.
Finally, garnish dairy free buffalo chicken dip with chopped basil if desired.
Slow Cooker Method
To make this Whole30 buffalo chicken dip in a slow cooker, follow instructions above until the baking step.
Then, add mixture to your slow cooker.
Cook on low for 3 to 4 hours or high for 1 to 2 hours. Stir once or twice.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Cook onions until soft and tender. Skipping this step will result in firm onions.
Fully mix dip before baking.
Bake until bubbly but not burnt!
How to Serve & Store
Serve dairy free buffalo chicken dip hot from the oven or slow cooker! This dip is great when hot. You will also love this Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip!
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To reheat dairy free buffalo chicken dip, add dip into an oven safe dish. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until warm.
Dip in celery, chopped peppers, carrots, or serve with spaghetti squash.
This gluten free dairy free dip is also great by the spoonful.
This Buffalo Chicken Pasta is a fun spinoff.
Entertaining and Whole30 is a challenge. I highly recommend bringing a compliant dish to any parties or holidays. Here are some of the best Whole30 appetizers.
Keto Deviled Eggs with Avocado and Bacon
With any Whole30 round, it is best to prepare ahead of time. Make this dairy free buffalo chicken dip for special occasions or holidays. That way, you will have a ready made option for any get togethers.
Frequently Asked Questions
Whole Foods has a Whole30 approved rotisserie chicken. Double check labels for compliant ingredients.
Sure! You can bake this dairy free buffalo chicken dip and then refrigerate and reheat as needed. Or, refrigerate just before baking. Then, bake when it is time to eat.
Yes! See above for slow cooker instructions.
Celery, carrots, and chopped peppers all go well with buffalo chicken dip. If not doing Whole30, chips and crackers pair well with it too.
Cheese is not Whole30 compliant. If you are not doing Whole30, go ahead and add some dairy free cheese on top!
You May Also Like
If you make this dairy free buffalo chicken dip recipe, I would love to see it! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! Join my exclusive Facebook Group for a behind the scenes look. For more ideas, check out these Side Dish Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Dairy Free Buffalo Chicken Dip (Whole30)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped finely
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 1/2 cups chicken breast, shredded and cooked
- 3/4 cup Whole30 mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 cup hot sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- avocado oil spray
- basil, to garnish
- First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and spray a casserole dish with avocado oil spray.
- Add olive oil, chopped onions and minced garlic to a skillet over low medium heat. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until onions are soft.
- Remove from heat and add to a large mixing bowl. Next, add all remaining ingredients to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into greased casserole dish.
- Then, cook for 30 minutes or until top is bubbling.
- Remove from oven.
- Finally, garnish with basil if desired.
- Feel free to use rotisserie chicken if desired. Whole Foods has a great Whole30 compliant rotisserie chicken.
- Primal Kitchen Foods Avocado Oil Mayonnaise is Whole30 approved and dairy free.
- Bake until dip is bubbly but not burnt.
- Serve immediately for best results.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake until warmed.
Love this healthy dairy free buffalo chicken dip? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans and new recipes!
12 Comments on “Dairy Free Buffalo Chicken Dip (Whole30)”
This is the perfect Buffalo chicken dip without all the dairy! Only thing I’d change is to reduce the 1/2 cup of hot sauce to a 1/4 cup. And this is because my husband and I are “spice wimps” 😉 Will definitely make again!
Hi Ann! Thank you for the note about the spice level. I really appreciate your review!
Such a great recipe! So delicious!
Yum! I can’t wait to try this. I love buffalo sauce.
Oh this was so delicious! We love spicy food so we did add a little extra hot sauce. Will be making it again!
This looks yummy
I’m a little addicted to buffalo chicken dip. It’s amazing.
Great recipe and a brilliant weekend recipe for watching the football 🙂
So delicious and addicting, definitely will make this again!
I wish I had found this recipe before today! I felt like I was missing out on all the Game Day snacks because I’m going Whole30 this month, thanks for sharing. I’ll definitely still try it on a non-Game Day 😉
Such a delicious dip! Great flavours and so good to have something that is Whole30!