Whole30 Chicken Salad
This Whole30 chicken salad is creamy and crunchy. It is way better than any chicken salad you’ve ever had! The grapes add a little sweetness, the pecans add the crunch factor, and the chicken adds the heartiness. You will be making this again and again!
This Whole30 Chicken Salad has become my go to lunch. It is incredibly easy, and so good every single time. I make it for my Whole30 meal prep weekly, even when I’m not doing Whole30.
Why This Recipe Works
This chicken salad is foolproof.
- This recipe takes only 10 minutes.
- It is made with pantry staples.
- Great way to use up leftover chicken.
- This chicken salad has so many great flavors and textures.
- It’s great for a Whole30 meal prep at the beginning of the week.
- Great for meal prep, leftovers, and lunches and dinners.
- It is high in protein and low in carbs.
- It is versatile and can be enjoyed many ways.
- This recipe is Whole30 compliant, Paleo, Keto friendly, gluten free, sugar free and low carb.
- Check out this Whole30 Grilled Chicken Strawberry Salad for another great recipe.
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for Whole30 chicken salad. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Use leftover chicken or shredded chicken. Rotisserie chicken is a great option, but double check ingredients to make sure it is Whole30 compliant. This would be great with tuna too!
Whole30 mayonnaise adds the creaminess.
Sliced grapes add some freshness and natural sweetness. Feel free to omit if needed.
Finely chopped onion adds some flavor without being overpowering. Use white onion or red onion.
A chopped apple also adds natural sweetness. For a tart flavor, consider using a green apple. For these photos, I used a honey crisp apple.
Pecan halves add a great crunchy texture. Feel free to use another nut or omit entirely if desired.
Black pepper, garlic powder and onion powder are the seasonings used. Feel free to add in a pinch of sea salt if desired. Seasonings and spices can be adjusted to suit your taste preference.
Add in a squeeze of lemon juice for freshness.
How to Make
First, add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
Toss to combine, until everything is coated in Whole30 mayonnaise.
Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Use shredded chicken for best results. Large chunks of chicken do not work as well.
Use leftover chicken to save time.
Feel free to adjust seasonings to suit your taste.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How long does homemade chicken salad last?
This Whole30 chicken salad will last up to 3 days in the fridge. Store in an airtight container for best results.
Can I substitute for the mayonnaise?
Yes and no. The mayonnaise is a crucial ingredient. Mashed up avocado would work well in place of mayonnaise. For a non Whole30 option, dairy free plain yogurt works too.
What cut of chicken should I use?
Chicken breasts or chicken thighs both work well. Either way, shred chicken into bite sized pieces.
What if I don’t like pecans?
Feel free to use almonds or walnuts. Pecans can be left out altogether but they do add a nice crunch factor!
What mayonnaise is Whole30 approved?
I love Primal Kitchen Foods for a Whole30 compliant mayo.
Whole30 Meal Prep
Meal prep is a key to success when doing Whole30. Here are my favorite Whole30 recipes that reheat well, store well, and make several servings:
- Paleo Taco Skillet (Whole30)
- Whole30 Asian Meatloaf
- Pressure Cooker Whole Chicken
- Whole30 Sweet Potato Chili
- Vegan Harvest Rice
See my Ultimate Guide to Whole30 for rules, ideas, tips and tricks!
How to Serve & Store
Serve Whole30 chicken salad immediately or refrigerate.
It pairs well with lettuce wraps, sliced veggies, or with a side salad.
For non Whole30, consider serving with tortilla chips, on a wrap, or in a sandwich.
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days. The sliced apples may start to turn brown by this point.
You May Also Like
If you make this Whole30 chicken salad recipe, I’d love to see it! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I’d love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Whole30 Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Whole30 Chicken Salad
- First, add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
- Stir to combine.
- Enjoy immediately or refrigerate leftovers.
- Use shredded chicken (or finely cubed chicken) for best results.
- Toss chicken salad until everything is coated in Whole30 mayonnaise.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Love this Whole30 chicken salad? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans and new recipes!