Healthy Banana Bread
This healthy banana bread is so soft and fluffy! With its moist texture and naturally sweet flavor, this recipe is truly perfect. This quick and easy recipe takes only 10 minutes to prep. Everything is mixed together in one bowl. This bread is lower in sugar than most breads and contains wholesome and nutritious ingredients. Great for breakfast, brunch, a snack or dessert!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This easy healthy banana bread is quick and easy.
- Everything is mixed in one mixing bowl.
- Unlike most banana bread, this one takes only 35 minutes to bake.
- It comes out soft and fluffy.
- This bread is moist, not dry.
- It is lower in sugar than most recipes. So is this Healthy Pumpkin Bread.
- Great any time of the day. Make this healthier banana for breakfast, snacks, family brunch or dessert!
- Naturally sweetened with ripe bananas and coconut sugar.
- This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, nut free, and refined sugar free.
- Check out this Keto Banana Bread or this Gluten Free Bread for another healthy baking recipe!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for healthy banana bread. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Use ripe bananas for the best flavor. Ripe bananas are more naturally sweet than green bananas. About 2 large bananas is sufficient for this recipe.
Only one egg needed. Do not replace the egg in this specific recipe. Instead, try this Eggless Banana Bread!
Melted coconut oil adds moisture. Use refined coconut oil for a neutral flavor. Unrefined coconut oil has a coconut taste.
Vanilla extract adds a classic homemade flavor.
Coconut sugar adds sweetness. Coconut sugar is a great refined sugar free sweetener. If needed, use brown sugar.
Cinnamon adds a warmth of flavor. Feel free to add in a pinch of nutmeg too.
Both baking powder and baking soda help leaven this bread. Overall, due to the low sugar content, this bread is more dense than tall.
Add in a pinch of sea salt if desired.
Lastly, add in sugar free chocolate chips or chunks. Any type of chocolate chips work well. I prefer sugar free to keep this recipe healthier.
Feel free to add in some chopped walnuts or pecans too.
Taste & Texture
The taste and texture of this healthy banana bread recipe are similar to that of traditional banana bread.
It is moist and sweet, with a subtle banana flavor. The main flavors are banana and chocolate.
However, due to the healthier ingredients, it may have a slightly denser texture. In addition, it is not as tall as regular banana bread.
Nonetheless, it is still so delicious and satisfying.
What is Banana Bread?
Banana bread is a type of quick bread made with mashed bananas.
It is a popular baked good that is typically eaten for breakfast or as a snack.
Banana bread can be made with a variety of ingredients, including flour, sugar, eggs, and butter.
Some versions have chocolate chips, pecans or walnuts.
However, to make it healthier, this recipe uses healthier alternatives to some of these ingredients.
What Makes This Healthy?
This recipe is healthy because it is made with healthier alternatives to some of the traditional ingredients used in banana bread.
Coconut oil is anti-inflammatory and is heart healthy.
Gluten free flour is great for Celiacs and those following a gluten free diet.
Coconut sugar is a healthier alternative to white sugar. It is unrefined and not as heavily processed. Additionally, it has a lower glycemic index.
Cinnamon has been used as a natural remedy for years. In addition, it is cholesterol free and fat free.
Use sugar free chocolate chips to lower the sugar content.
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a bread pan with parchment paper.
In a bowl, add mashed bananas, egg, melted coconut oil and vanilla. Stir to combine.
Then, add in all of the remaining ingredients except chocolate chips. Stir to combine.
Fold in the chocolate chips or chunks, reserving some for the top of the bread.
Transfer batter into the lined bread pan. Top with remaining chocolate.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out mostly clean.
Finally, remove from oven. Allow healthy banana bread to fully cool before slicing into.
Expert Tips & Tricks
For best results, make this recipe exactly as written.
Use ripe bananas for added sweetness.
This healthier banana bread is not overly sweet.
Use either all purpose flour or gluten free 1 to 1 flour. Do not replace with another flour.
Do not over bake. Bake only until a toothpick inserted comes out mostly clean.
Allow healthy banana bread to fully cool. Then, slice and serve.
Flavor Variations & Add Ins
This healthy banana bread is incredibly versatile. There are many flavor variations and mix ins that you can use to customize it. Here are a few ideas.
Swirl a few tablespoons of Nutella into the batter before baking for a rich and indulgent treat.
Or, swirl in some peanut butter to the batter.
Fold in a cup of fresh blueberries for a burst of fruity flavor.
Fold in some raspberries for natural sweetness.
Add in white chocolate chips.
Add in chopped pecans or walnuts to the banana bread batter.
Fold in some oats to give it an oatmeal flavor.
How to Serve & Store
This healthy banana bread is great both warmed up or room temperature.
To serve, slice the bread into pieces. Enjoy it on its own or with a smear of peanut butter or jelly.
It also pairs well with a cup of coffee or tea for a cozy breakfast or snack. Serve with applesauce or yogurt for a nutritious snack.
Store covered at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Freeze individual banana bread slices for up to 1 month.
Frequently Asked Questions
Banana bread is healthy if the ingredients are healthy. This recipe is nutritious.
Banana bread is not necessarily healthier than normal bread.
Yes! Feel free to fold in some chopped walnuts or pecans.
Use gluten free flour to keep this recipe gluten free. You can also try this Gluten Free Banana Bread!
Sure! Heavily spray muffin pan. Fill each cavity about ¾ full. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 14 to 16 minutes.
Pre-Cut Parchment Paper Sheets: These parchment paper sheets are already cut and ready to go.
Pyrex 3 Glass Mixing Bowls: These measuring bowls are sturdy and easy to clean.
Pyrex Glass Measuring Cups: Use these measuring cups for measuring out ingredients.
Whisk: Whisk the batter together.
Bread Pan: This is my favorite bread pan for baking banana bread.
You May Also Like
- Chocolate Banana Bread
- Sourdough Banana Bread
- Pumpkin Banana Bread
- Cream Cheese Banana Bread
- Protein Banana Bread
If you make this healthy banana bread recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Join my exclusive Facebook Group for a behind the scenes look. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Breakfast Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Healthy Banana Bread
- First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a bread pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, add mashed bananas, egg, melted coconut oil and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Then, add in all remaining ingredients except chocolate chips. Stir to combine.
- Fold in the chocolate chips or chunks, reserving some for the top of the bread.
- Transfer batter into the lined bread pan. Top with remaining chocolate.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out mostly clean.
- Finally, remove from oven. Allow bread to fully cool before slicing into.
- Use ripe bananas for the best flavor. This bread is only sweetened with a little bit of coconut sugar.
- Both regular all purpose flour and gluten free 1 to 1 flour work well. Do not directly substitute another flour.
- If needed, replace coconut sugar with brown sugar.
- Do not bake too long. This bread may look a little soft but will firm up as it cools.
- Wait until bread has fully cooled before slicing into.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
- Freeze individual slices for up to 1 month.
Love this easy healthy banana bread? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!