Oat Flour Banana Bread
This oat flour banana bread is soft, fluffy and so easy! The recipe takes only 10 minutes to prepare and comes together in 45 minutes total. This healthy homemade bread has the perfect texture and delicious flavor!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This oat flour banana bread is quick and easy.
- Everything is made in one mixing bowl.
- This recipe is great for breakfast, snacks and dessert.
- The bananas add natural sweetness and moisture.
- This bread is not dry or bland.
- Oat flour is an affordable flour.
- This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, nut free, and easily made refined sugar free.
- Check out these Oat Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies for another oat flour recipe!
- For a healthier option, try this Healthy Banana Bread.
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for oat flour banana bread. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Use ripe bananas. They should be brown spotted, but not yet fully blackened. Do not use green bananas. About 3 large bananas is sufficient for this recipe.
Melted coconut oil adds moisture to this bread. If needed, substitute with another neutral flavored oil. Use refined coconut oil for a neutral flavor. Unrefined coconut oil has a slight coconut flavor.
Two eggs help bind the banana bread together. For an eggless option, check out this Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread.
Oat flour is a delicious and readily available flour. For gluten free, be sure that the oat flour is certified gluten free. Oats are naturally gluten free, but oftentimes processed alongside wheat. For this recipe, I recommend buying oat flour instead of making it homemade.
A little baking powder helps leaven the bread.
Granulated sugar adds the sweetness. For these photos, I used coconut sugar for a refined sugar free option. If needed, use white sugar or lightly packed brown sugar.
Lastly, the chocolate chips add the chocolate! Any type of chocolate chips work. Feel free to use dairy free, Vegan, or sugar free if needed. Alternatively, use chopped chocolate, mini chocolate chips or even white chocolate chips. Walnuts are another great add in.
What is Oat Flour?
Oat flour is made from ground up oats. This whole grain flour is slightly hearty and nutty in flavor.
When finely ground up, oat flour resembles regular white flour in texture.
Oat flour is made from only one ingredient: oats. Thus, it can be easily homemade.
To make oat flour, add oats to a blender or food processor. Blend until finely ground. Alternatively, oat flour is readily available in most grocery stores.
Although oats are naturally gluten free, they are oftentimes processed alongside wheat. For this reason, be sure to use a certified gluten free oat flour brand if needed.
Taste & Texture
This oat flour banana bread tastes slightly more nutty and hearty than traditional recipes. It is naturally sweet. The recipe tastes like bananas, chocolate and oats.
The texture is soft and fluffy. This bread is moist! It is not dry or bland.
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line bread loaf pan with parchment paper.
In a mixing bowl, combine mashed bananas, melted coconut oil, eggs and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
Then, add in oat flour, baking powder and sugar. Stir to combine.
Fold in the chocolate chips.
Pour banana bread batter into lined bread pan.
Bake for 35 to 38 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Finally, remove from oven. Allow the bread to cool before slicing and serving.
Expert Tips & Tricks
For best results, use brown spotted bananas. They are naturally sweet and provide a great texture.
The batter is slightly more thin than my other banana bread recipes.
This oat flour banana bread takes much less time to bake than classic recipes. For that reason, start monitoring bread around 30 minutes in the oven.
Bread is done baking when toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Flavor Variations & Add Ins
This oat flour banana bread is to die for! Here are some ways to switch it up.
Add in a dash of cinnamon
Use mini chocolate chips
Substitute white chocolate chips
Use chopped chocolate
Add in dried cranberries
Add in walnuts or pecans
Top with a sprinkle of sea salt
Add in a dash of pumpkin pie spice
Turn it into this Cream Cheese Banana Bread
How to Serve & Store
Serve oat flour banana bread once cooled enough to slice. This usually takes a couple hours.
Serve alongside a glass of milk, coffee or even oat milk hot chocolate.
Top with peanut butter, Nutella or butter.
Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 48 hours.
Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
This bread freezes and thaws well.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, oat flour bakes really well.
Oat flour tastes like oats. It provides the same flavor that oatmeal does to oatmeal cookies.
Use gluten free oat flour for gluten free banana bread.
I recommend store bought, but homemade can be used. Be sure to really finely grind the oats. Then, measure out the 2 cups.
You May Also Like
- Oat Flour Pancakes
- Almond Flour Oatmeal Cookies
- Coconut Flour Oatmeal Cookies
- Dairy Free Banana Bread
- Sugar Free Banana Bread
If you make this oat flour banana bread recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Breakfast Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Oat Flour Banana Bread
- First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a bread loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine mashed bananas, melted coconut oil, eggs and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
- Then, add in oat flour, baking powder and sugar. Stir to combine.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into lined bread pan.
- Bake for 35 to 38 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Finally, remove from oven. Allow bread to cool before slicing and serving.
- For best results, use brown spotted ripe bananas. Do not use green bananas.
- If needed, replace melted coconut oil with another neutral flavored oil.
- For gluten free, use gluten free oat flour.
- To keep this recipe refined sugar free, use coconut sugar and sugar free chocolate chips.
- This banana bread takes less time to bake than traditional recipes. Keep a close eye on it as it bakes.
- I prefer store bought oat flour. While it can be homemade, it can be tough to fully grind the oats into a flour like consistency.
- Store leftovers at room temperature covered for up to 2 days.
- Store in fridge for up to 5 days.
Love this oat flour banana bread? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!