Sourdough Banana Bread
This sourdough banana bread is soft, fluffy and so uniquely flavored! It is great for a quick breakfast, cozy afternoon snack or dessert. This bread is made in one mixing bowl and comes together easily. Great way to use up leftover discard!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This sourdough banana bread is quick and easy.
- Great way to use up sourdough discard.
- It is soft and fluffy.
- Delicious any time of the day.
- This recipe can be made with gluten free ingredients or regular. Or, try this Healthy Banana Bread .
- In addition, it is easily dairy free adaptable and nut free.
- The sourdough discard gives this bread such a unique flavor.
- Feel free to add in chocolate chips, walnuts or berries!
- Check out these Sourdough Chocolate Chip Cookies for another fun sourdough discard recipe!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for sourdough banana bread. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
First, use ripe bananas. Look for bananas that are brown spotted, but not yet fully brown or black. Do not use green bananas.
Two eggs help bind this bread together. For eggless, try this Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread.
Any type of milk works. Use dairy free milk to keep this bread dairy free. For nut free, use regular milk, oat milk or coconut milk.
Both brown sugar and coconut sugar work well. For these photos, I used coconut sugar. That makes this recipe refined sugar free. Although white sugar works, the flavor is not as strong.
Sourdough discard adds the best flavor. The sourdough flavor is definitely detectable. Both regular discard and gluten free discard can be used.
A little vanilla extract adds a cozy homemade flavor.
In addition, both regular all purpose flour and gluten free 1 to 1 flour work well. Do not use almond flour, oat flour, coconut flour or something else.
Baking soda helps this bread rise. This banana bread does rise significantly.
Add in a pinch of sea salt if desired.
If desired, add in some chocolate chips, blueberries or chopped nuts. Or leave plain.
Taste & Texture
This sourdough banana bread tastes like classic banana bread with a tangy flavor. The sourdough is detectable. It is the best mix between beer bread and banana bread. Additionally, it is not overly sweet.
It is soft and fluffy. This bread is not dry or dense.
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a bread loaf pan with parchment paper or spray heavily with nonstick spray.
In a mixing bowl, add mashed bananas, eggs, oil, and milk. Stir to combine.
Then, add in all remaining ingredients. Stir until just combined.
Transfer batter to the lined loaf pan.
Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Finally, remove sourdough banana bread from oven. Allow bread to cool in pan for 15 minutes. Then take out of pan and cool on cooling rack. Cool fully before slicing into.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Use ripe bananas for best results. Lightly brown spotted bananas work best.
Use either regular discard or gluten free discard.
Likewise, use either all purpose flour or gluten free flour. I have not tried any grain free or alternative flours.
If desired, add in some blueberries, chopped nuts or chocolate chips to the batter.
Do not bake too long. Check bread after about 40 minutes.
Once toothpick inserted comes out clean, bread is done.
Remove bread from pan after 15 minutes of cooling down. Then, allow bread to fully cool before slicing into.
Flavor Variations & Add Ins
Consider these add ins for sourdough banana bread.
Add in some chocolate chips. Or try this Gluten Free Banana Bread!
Add in white chocolate chips.
Use mini chocolate chips.
Sprinkle in chopped nuts.
Add in a pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg.
How to Serve & Store
Serve sourdough banana bread once fully cooled.
Serve with coffee, tea, hot chocolate or by itself.
For the ultimate brunch, serve with these Sourdough Pancakes.
This banana bread can be eaten any time of the day.
Store covered at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Chill for up to 5 days.
Freeze for up to 1 month. Thaw completely before eating.
Frequently Asked Questions
Sourdough bread is typically healthier than yeast bread because it contains fewer ingredients and additives.
Sourdough bread has wild yeast. Wild yeast naturally grows over time. Regular bread has yeast added to it.
Use brown spotted bananas, but not yet black.
Use gluten free sourdough discard and gluten free flour.
Use dairy free milk to make this bread dairy free.
You May Also Like
- Sourdough Muffins
- Sourdough Pizza Crust
- Almond Flour Banana Bread
- Cream Cheese Banana Bread
- Sugar Free Banana Bread
If you make this sourdough banana bread recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Breakfast Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Sourdough Banana Bread
- 1 ¼ cups mashed bananas
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup avocado oil, or melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup milk
- ¾ cup brown sugar, or coconut sugar
- ½ cup sourdough discard
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour, all purpose or gluten free flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch sea salt
- First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper or spray heavily with nonstick spray.
- In a mixing bowl, add mashed bananas, eggs, oil, and milk. Stir to combine.
- Then, add in all remaining ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Transfer batter to the lined loaf pan.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Finally, remove from oven. Allow bread to cool in pan for 15 minutes. Then take out of pan and cool on cooling rack. Cool fully before slicing into.
- This recipe can be made with regular sourdough discard or gluten free discard.
- Likewise, both all purpose flour and gluten free 1 to 1 flour can be used.
- Feel free to add in some chocolate chips to the batter before baking.
- Do not over bake. Check bread after about 40 to 45 minutes. Once toothpick inserted comes out mostly clean, remove from oven.
- Store leftovers covered at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Love this homemade healthy sourdough banana bread? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!
One Comment on “Sourdough Banana Bread”
This banana bread had such a unique flavor! We loved it.