Healthy Pumpkin Bread
This healthy pumpkin bread is a classic fall treat! This version is made with wholesome and nutritious ingredients, but it has the perfect texture and flavor. It is soft, fluffy, and moist. The flavors are warm, cozy, and comforting. This quick bread is great for breakfast, brunch, an afternoon snack, or a healthier sweet treat!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This healthy pumpkin bread is made with healthy ingredients.
- It takes just 45 minutes in total.
- Only one mixing bowl is needed.
- It is naturally sweetened with coconut sugar, so it is lower in sugar than traditional pumpkin bread recipes.
- I am a huge fan of all things pumpkin. In fact, I buy canned pumpkin all year long! This bread is great any time of the year.
- Great for any time of the day! I love this for a quick breakfast, afternoon snack, or healthy dessert.
- For a classic sandwich bread, make this Gluten Free Bread Recipe!
- Both kids and adults love this homemade pumpkin loaf.
- It is moist and flavorful, with the perfect balance of pumpkin and spices.
- This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, and refined sugar free.
- Check out this Easy Pumpkin Bread for a super easy option!
Ingredients & Substitutes
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for this healthy pumpkin bread. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Use pumpkin purée, not pumpkin pie filling.
Melted coconut oil adds moisture. Use refined coconut oil for a neutral flavor. Unrefined coconut oil has a slight coconut flavor.
Eggs help give this bread a light and airy texture. I do not recommend replacing the eggs. For an egg free version, make this Vegan Pumpkin Bread.
Both gluten free flour and regular flour work well. Since I am gluten free, I use King Arthur Flour gluten free 1 to 1 flour. In addition, Paleo baking flour works well. For a grain free version, make this Almond Flour Pumpkin Bread.
Both baking powder and baking soda help this bread rise.
Coconut sugar sweetens the bread. This is a much healthier sweetener than brown sugar.
Cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice add a warm and cozy flavor.
Taste & Texture
This healthy pumpkin bread has a moist and tender texture. It has a subtle sweetness and warm pumpkin spice flavor.
The spices add a touch of warmth and depth, without being overpowering.
Overall, this pumpkin bread is not too sweet. It has the perfect texture and flavor.
How to Make
First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius). Add a piece of parchment paper to a bread loaf pan.
In a mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin purée, melted coconut oil, eggs, and vanilla extract. Stir together.
Next, add in all of the remaining ingredients. Stir together.
Pour the bread batter into the parchment lined bread pan.
Then, bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Lastly, remove the bread from the oven. Wait at least 1 hour before slicing and serving.
Expert Tips for Success
These are expert tips for making the best healthy pumpkin bread.
To make sure your pumpkin bread is moist, be sure to use canned pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling.
Do not overmix the bread batter.
Line the loaf pan with parchment paper. This makes removal very easy.
For a fun variation, try adding chopped nuts, chocolate chips, or dried fruit to the batter.
Do not overbake the pumpkin bread. Once a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean, remove the bread from the oven.
Flavor Variations & Add-Ins
Here are some fun ways to switch up the flavors of the healthy pumpkin bread.
To make a spiced pumpkin bread, add 1 teaspoon of ground ginger, 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg, and 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves to the batter.
To make chocolate chip pumpkin bread, add 1/2 cup of chocolate chips to the batter.
For pumpkin cranberry bread, add 1 cup of chopped cranberries to the batter.
For pumpkin banana bread, mash 1 ripe banana and add it to the batter. Check out this Pumpkin Banana Bread recipe.
Add a simple glaze on top!
Turn it into Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bread.
How to Serve & Store
This healthy pumpkin bread is best served slightly warm or at room temperature.
This bread pairs well with a cup of coffee, tea, hot chocolate, or smoothie.
Add some peanut butter or almond butter on top for a filling snack.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Or, freeze the bread for up to 2 months.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Yes, you can use gluten-free flour in this recipe. Just be sure to use a gluten-free flour that is specifically designed for baking, such as Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten-Free Flour.
Yes, you can use a different type of sweetener in this recipe. Some good options would be brown sugar, honey, or maple syrup. Just be sure to adjust the amount of sweetener you use to taste.
Yes, you can make this recipe ahead of time. Just bake the bread and let it cool completely. Then, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and store it at room temperature for up to 3 days. You can also freeze the bread for up to 2 months.
This bread is made with wholesome and nutritious ingredients. Pumpkin is loaded with nutrients.
No, the Starbucks pumpkin bread contains high amounts of sugar.
If your healthy pumpkin bread is dry, it is overbaked. This loaf is very moist normally.
Yes, canned pumpkin and pumpkin purée are the same thing. Do not use pumpkin pie filling.
Pre-Cut Parchment Paper Sheets: These parchment paper sheets make removal very easy.
Pyrex 3 Glass Mixing Bowls: These are my favorite mixing bowls for baking.
Pyrex Glass Measuring Cups: I love these glass measuring cups for baking.
Bread Pan: I use this bread pan every time I bake this healthy pumpkin bread!
Check out all of my kitchen favorites!
You May Also Enjoy
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
- Healthy Zucchini Bread
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread
- Healthy Banana Bread
- Gluten Free Banana Bread
If you make this easy healthy pumpkin bread recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! Check out these Breakfast Recipes for more great ideas.
Get the Recipe: Healthy Pumpkin Bread
- First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius). Add a piece of parchment paper to a bread loaf pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin purée, melted coconut oil, eggs, and vanilla extract. Stir together.
- Next, add in all of the remaining ingredients. Stir together.
- Pour the bread batter into the parchment lined bread pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Lastly, remove the bread from the oven. Wait at least 1 hour before slicing and serving.
- Use pumpkin purée, not pumpkin pie filling.
- Feel free to use Paleo baking flour instead of gluten free. All-purpose flour works too, but I am gluten free so I always use gluten free flour.
- Do not overbake the bread. Bake until the bread has puffed up and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Freeze individual slices for up to 2 months.
Love this easy recipe for healthy pumpkin bread? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!