Almond Flour Banana Bread
This almond flour banana bread is soft, fluffy and flavorful! This recipe is made in one mixing bowl. The almond flour adds the best flavor and texture. Great for a cozy breakfast, afternoon snack or healthy dessert! This recipe is Paleo, grain free, gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This almond flour banana bread is soft and fluffy!
- It takes only 10 minutes of prep time.
- Great for breakfast alongside Almond Flour Muffins.
- The almond flour adds a great subtle flavor.
- The bread is light and not dense.
- Only one mixing bowl needed.
- This recipe is Paleo, grain free, gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free.
- Check out this Paleo Banana Bread for another similar recipe!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for almond flour banana bread. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Ripe bananas add great moisture and texture. In addition, ripe bananas add natural sweetness.
Eggs bind this bread together. I do not recommend using Vegan eggs, flax eggs or chia eggs. For an eggless Vegan version, try this Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread.
Creamy all natural nut butter adds some hearty flavor and substance. Be sure to use a nut butter that is made from only nuts and salt. Added sugars or oils will yield a different texture. Use your favorite flavor of nut butter; it is a major flavor.
Coconut sugar is a great Paleo granulated sweetener. Maple sugar is another great option for refined sugar free! If not Paleo, use lightly packed brown sugar.
Vanilla extract adds a homemade flavor.
Almond flour is the only flour. There are no perfect substitutes. For regular gluten free flour, make this Gluten Free Banana Bread!
Baking soda helps this bread rise.
Add a pinch of sea salt if desired.
Any chocolate chips can be used. For Paleo, use refined sugar free chocolate. Hu Kitchen is a great brand.
What is Almond Flour?
Almond flour is a common grain free baking flour. It is both Paleo and naturally gluten free.
Almond flour creates a unique texture in baking. It never gets fully crispy while baking. With that said, this almond flour banana bread remains quite soft and fluffy.
Blanched almond flour is made from ground up almonds without skin. Blanched almond flour is great for baking. Alternatively, almond meal is made from ground up whole almonds. It is more gritty and coarse.
Almond flour is higher in protein and fat than regular all purpose flour. It is a healthy option for those wanting to eat Paleo or gluten free.
Taste & Texture
This almond flour banana bread tastes like bananas, nut butter and chocolate chips. Use a nut butter you really enjoy the taste of.
The texture is soft and fluffy. Due to the almond flour, this bread feels moist. It rises beautifully in the oven.
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a bread loaf pan with parchment paper.
In a mixing bowl, add mashed bananas, eggs, creamy nut butter and vanilla. Mix until combined.
Then, add in coconut sugar, almond flour, baking soda and sea salt. Stir to combine.
Fold in chocolate chips. Leave a few to sprinkle on top of the bread.
Transfer batter into lined loaf pan. Dot with extra chocolate chips on top.
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Finally, remove from oven. Allow bread to cool at least 2 hours before slicing into.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Carefully measure all ingredients.
Use ripe bananas for best flavor. Do not use green bananas. In addition, completely blackened bananas are too moist.
Use all natural creamy nut butter. Choose one you enjoy the flavor of. It should be made from only nuts and salt.
Save a few chocolate chips to sprinkle on top before baking.
Do not over bake. Bake only until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Allow almond flour banana bread to cool at least 2 hours. Then, slice and serve.
Flavor Variations & Add Ins
Consider these fun flavor variations!
Use a different nut butter.
Add in chopped walnuts.
Add in chopped pecans.
Use mini chocolate chips.
Use chopped chocolate or chocolate chunks.
Add in a pinch of cinnamon.
Add in white chocolate chips.
Use dried cranberries.
How to Serve & Store
Serve almond flour banana bread once cool enough to slice into. This bread is soft and moist.
Serve with bacon and eggs for breakfast. It also pairs well with fruit.
This bread is great with coffee or hot chocolate.
Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Freeze for up to 1 month.
Frequently Asked Questions
Almond flour and all purpose flour are very different. For that reason, they are not perfect substitutes for each other.
Almond flour adds a slightly nutty flavor. In addition, it keeps bread soft and fluffy.
Yes, this recipe is naturally gluten free.
This banana bread tastes like bananas, nut butter and chocolate. The almond flour adds just a hint of nutty flavor.
You May Also Like
- Almond Flour Pumpkin Bread
- Almond Flour Cookies
- Eggless Banana Bread
- Almond Flour Chocolate Cookies
- Almond Flour Peanut Butter Cookies
If you make this almond flour banana bread recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Breakfast Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Almond Flour Banana Bread
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup creamy nut butter
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line an 8 inch by 4 inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, add mashed bananas, eggs, creamy nut butter and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- Then, add in coconut sugar, almond flour, baking soda and sea salt. Stir to combine.
- Fold in chocolate chips, leaving a few for the top of the bread.
- Transfer batter into lined loaf pan. Dot with extra chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Finally, remove from oven. Allow bread to cool at least 2 hours before slicing into.
- Use ripe bananas.
- Any creamy all natural nut butter can be used. For Paleo, use almond butter or cashew butter. Creamy peanut butter can also be used.
- Use nut butter made from only nuts and salt. Do not use a variety with added sugars or oils.
- Bake bread until a toothpick inserted comes out mostly clean.
- Allow bread to cool for at least 2 hours.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- This banana bread can be frozen.
Love this almond flour banana bread? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!
4 Comments on “Almond Flour Banana Bread”
Love this recipe. I make it with brown stevia instead of coconut sugar because we have a diabetic but it’s one of our favourite options. Wonderful banana flavour and really moist!
I am so thrilled to hear that you enjoy this recipe, Jen! Thank you for letting me know it works well with brown stevia.
You mention to use a bread sized pan. There are two sizes for this, so can you be specific as to measurement? Either 9 x 5 or 8 x 4. Thanks
Hi Cindy! Both will work. I like 8 by 4 to make the bread a little taller. Enjoy!