Pumpkin Banana Bread
This easy pumpkin banana bread is soft, fluffy, and perfectly flavored! It has the warm and cozy flavors of fall. This easy quick bread is great for breakfast, an afternoon snack, and dessert. Everything is mixed together in one bowl. The pumpkin and banana give this bread so much flavor and moisture. It is incredibly moist and easy to make!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This pumpkin banana bread is quick and easy to make.
- Everything is mixed in one bowl.
- This bread is a great way to use up ripe bananas.
- Perfect for fall.
- Great for breakfast, snacks or dessert. Enjoy any time of the day.
- I am such a huge fan of banana bread. In fact, I bake a loaf of banana bread every single week. This is my favorite one for the autumn months!
- Use gluten free flour to easily make this recipe gluten free. The photos in this post use gluten free 1 to 1 flour.
- In addition, this recipe is nut free and dairy free.
- Use coconut sugar to make it refined sugar free. Or, try this Healthy Banana Bread.
- Check out this Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread for another delicious recipe!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for this homemade pumpkin banana bread. Scroll down to the recipe card for the full ingredients list and instructions.
Use ripe bananas for best results. About 2 large bananas will yield 1 ¼ cups mashed bananas.
Use pumpkin purée, not pumpkin pie filling.
Two eggs help bind this bread together. I do not recommend trying to use flax eggs, chia eggs or another egg replacement. For egg free, make this Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread.
Both melted coconut oil and vegetable oil can be used. In addition, avocado oil works well.
Vanilla extract adds that classic warmth.
Both lightly packed brown sugar or coconut sugar can be used. For these photos, I used coconut sugar. Use coconut sugar for a refined sugar free option.
For the flour, use regular all purpose flour or gluten free 1 to 1 flour. Both work equally well. I do not recommend another flour in this specific recipe. This Almond Flour Pumpkin Bread is a great Paleo and grain free option.
Pumpkin pie spice adds a great warmth of flavor. Since it can be tough to find in stores, feel free to replace with cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg.
Cinnamon pairs well with both bananas and pumpkin.
Baking powder and baking soda work together to leaven this pumpkin spice banana bread.
Taste & Texture
This pumpkin squash bread is naturally sweet. It tastes more like pumpkin than bananas. The banana flavor is slightly detectable, but not overwhelming. Additionally, the pumpkin pie spice flavor is delicious.
This bread is soft, moist and fluffy. It is light and not too dense or dry.
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a loaf pan (8 inch by 4 inch) with parchment paper.
In a mixing bowl, add mashed bananas, pumpkin purée, eggs, melted coconut oil and vanilla. Stir to combine.
Then, add in all remaining ingredients. Stir to combine.
Add batter to lined loaf pan. Smooth out the top.
Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Finally, remove pumpkin banana bread from oven. Allow the bread to fully cool before slicing and serving.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Carefully measure all ingredients.
For the best flavor, use ripe bananas.
Do not use pumpkin pie filling. Use pumpkin purée.
If needed, replace melted coconut oil with vegetable or avocado oil.
For refined sugar free, use coconut sugar. Otherwise, use lightly packed brown sugar.
For gluten free, use gluten free 1 to 1 flour. All purpose flour works well too.
Bake bread until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. The bread will have puffed up by that point.
Fully cool before slicing and serving.
Flavor Variations & Add Ins
Consider these delicious add ins for pumpkin banana bread.
Add in chocolate chips. This makes pumpkin banana chocolate chip bread!
Add in chopped chocolate.
Sprinkle in mini chocolate chips.
Sprinkle in white chocolate chips.
Add in chopped walnuts or pecans.
Make a streusel topping.
Top each slice with peanut butter.
Warm up a slice and top with maple syrup or whipped cream.
Warm up a slice and serve with vanilla ice cream.
Bake this pumpkin banana loaf into muffins! Banana pumpkin pumpkin bread muffins are so delicious.
Try this Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bread too!
How to Serve & Store
Serve pumpkin banana bread once fully cooled.
Serve with coffee, tea, or ice cream.
A crispy October night calls for a slice with some hot chocolate.
Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.
Freeze individual slices for up to 1 month.
Frequently Asked Questions
I do not recommend replacing the eggs. For vegan, make this Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread.
Use gluten free 1 to 1 flour to keep this recipe gluten free.
This bread tastes mostly like pumpkin bread with some natural sweetness. The banana flavor is light and only slightly detectable.
The middle of the loaf will have puffed up into a beautiful dome shape. Insert toothpick into loaf. If it comes out clean, remove from oven. If it comes out with raw batter, continue baking.
You May Also Like
- Cream Cheese Banana Bread
- Oat Flour Banana Bread
- Dairy Free Banana Bread
- Sugar Free Banana Bread
- Gluten Free Zucchini Bread
If you make this banana bread with pumpkin purée recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! Check out these Breakfast Recipes for more great ideas.
Get the Recipe: Pumpkin Banana Bread
- 1 ¼ cups mashed bananas, about 2 large bananas
- ¾ cup pumpkin purée
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup melted coconut oil, or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar, or coconut sugar
- 2 cups flour, all purpose or gluten free flour
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a loaf pan (8 by 4 inch) with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, add mashed bananas, pumpkin purée, eggs, melted coconut oil and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Then, add in all remaining ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Add batter to lined loaf pan. Smooth out the top.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Finally, remove from oven. Allow bread to fully cool before slicing and serving.
- Use ripe bananas for best flavor.
- Use pumpkin purée, not pumpkin pie filling.
- Feel free to use vegetable oil or avocado oil in place of melted coconut oil.
- Both brown sugar and coconut sugar work well.
- Both regular all purpose flour and gluten free 1 to 1 flour can be used. I used King Arthur Flour gluten free 1 to 1 flour for these photos.
- Bake until toothpick inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
- Allow the bread to fully cool.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Bread freezes well.
Love this pumpkin banana bread? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!