Chocolate Banana Bread
This chocolate banana bread is fluffy, soft and moist! It has the most delicious chocolate flavor. This easy and quick recipe is made in one mixing bowl. Only pantry staple ingredients needed. A thick slice is great for an on the go breakfast, sweet afternoon snack or even dessert!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This chocolate banana bread is quick and easy.
- Only one mixing bowl needed.
- The prep time is only 10 minutes.
- This bread bakes to chocolate perfection.
- It has the most delicious chocolate flavor.
- Eat any time of the day. Great for breakfast, snacks or dessert.
- This recipe can be made with gluten free flour.
- In addition, it is naturally dairy free.
- Use coconut sugar for refined sugar free.
- Check out this Paleo Double Chocolate Banana Bread or this Healthy Banana Bread for another tasty recipe!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for chocolate banana bread. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Use ripe bananas for best results. This adds natural sweetness.
Only one egg needed. I do not recommend using an egg replacement in this specific recipe. For eggless, make this Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread.
Melted coconut oil keeps this bread extra moist. Feel free to use vegetable oil or melted butter. Unrefined coconut oil has a slight coconut flavor. Use refined coconut oil for a neutral flavor.
A little vanilla adds a homemade taste.
Use either all purpose flour or gluten free 1 to 1 flour. Both work well. For a grain free version, I have tested this recipe using Paleo baking flour.
Both light brown sugar and coconut sugar work well. For refined sugar free, use coconut sugar.
Cocoa powder adds the chocolate flavor.
Baking soda helps this bread rise.
Add in a pinch of sea salt if desired.
Lastly, add in the chocolate chips. Any type of chocolate chips can be used. I love dark chocolate chips, but milk or semisweet work well.
Taste & Texture
This chocolate banana bread is rich, decadent and chocolaty. It is sweet but not overly sweet. This quick chocolate bread has a deep flavor.
This bread is soft, fluffy and moist. I like to leave the bananas not completely mashed. Little chunks of banana add the most delicious flavor and moist texture. It is not dry and not overly dense.
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a bread loaf pan with parchment paper.
In a mixing bowl, add mashed bananas, egg, melted coconut oil and vanilla. Stir to combine.
Then, add in flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and sea salt. Stir to combine.
Fold in the chocolate chips.
Transfer batter to the lined loaf pan. Spread into an even layer.
Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out with only moist crumbs.
Finally, remove from oven. Allow chocolate banana bread to fully cool before slicing.
Expert Tips & Tricks
For the best flavor, use ripe bananas. They are more naturally sweet.
If needed, replace melted coconut oil with melted butter or vegetable oil.
Use either all purpose flour or gluten free 1 to 1 flour. This recipe also works with Paleo baking flour.
For refined sugar free, use coconut sugar. Otherwise, use brown sugar.
The bread batter will be pretty thick. See photos above for reference.
Do not over bake. Insert toothpick into the bread. If it comes out with only some moist crumbs, remove from oven.
Allow this healthy chocolate banana bread to fully cool. Then, slice and serve.
Flavor Variations & Add Ins
Consider these adds in to this chocolate banana bread.
Add in white chocolate chips.
Add in mini chocolate chips.
Use unrefined coconut oil for a slight coconut flavor.
Sprinkle in a pinch of cinnamon.
Add in chocolate chunks.
Add in chopped walnuts or pecans.
Top with a smear of peanut butter or almond butter.
Warm up a slice and top with butter.
How to Serve & Store
Serve chocolate banana bread once fully cooled.
Serve by itself or topped with butter or peanut butter.
Eat for breakfast, an afternoon snack or dessert. This bread is great with coffee or tea.
Store covered for up to 4 days.
Freeze individual slices for up to 30 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
Banana and chocolate taste great together! They complement each other well.
Use gluten free flour to keep this banana bread gluten free.
This recipe can be modified to be healthy. Use gluten free flour and coconut sugar to make it more wholesome and nutritious.
Yes! I have recipe tested this to be Paleo. Use Paleo baking flour and coconut sugar. In addition, use sugar free dairy free chocolate chips.
Yes! Freeze individual slices for up to 1 month.
Sure! Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 14 to 18 minutes for chocolate banana muffins.
You May Also Like
- Almond Flour Banana Bread
- Protein Banana Bread
- Pumpkin Banana Bread
- Coconut Flour Banana Bread
- Cream Cheese Banana Bread
If you make this chocolate banana bread recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Join my exclusive Facebook Group for a behind the scenes look. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Breakfast Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Chocolate Banana Bread
- First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a bread loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, add mashed bananas, egg, melted coconut oil and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Then, add in flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and sea salt. Stir to combine.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Transfer batter to the lined loaf pan. Spread into an even layer.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out with only moist crumbs.
- Finally, remove from oven. Allow bread to fully cool before slicing.
- Use ripe bananas for the best results.
- Feel free to replace melted coconut oil with vegetable oil or melted butter.
- Both regular all purpose flour and gluten free 1 to 1 flour can be used.
- Both light brown sugar and coconut sugar work well. I actually prefer the version with coconut sugar.
- The banana bread batter will be somewhat thick.
- Do not bake too long. Once a toothpick inserted comes out with only moist crumbs, remove from oven.
- Allow bread to fully cool before slicing.
- Store covered at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Love this homemade chocolate banana bread? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!