Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
These air fryer sweet potato fries are crispy on the outside and fluffy inside! They have the perfect texture. This quick and easy recipe takes only 20 minutes in total. These sweet potato fries can be eaten any time of the day. Great for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. They come together quickly and easily. This recipe is sweet, savory and so flavorful!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These air fryer sweet potato fries are quick and easy.
- They take only 20 minutes in total.
- The air fryer cooks them much quicker than an oven.
- The outsides become golden and crispy.
- These homemade fries are soft and fluffy inside.
- They are great for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks.
- Kids and adults love them!
- Great as a side dish or appetizer. These fries are versatile.
- They are a healthy alternative to deep fried French fries.
- This recipe is naturally gluten free, dairy free, vegan, Paleo, Whole30 compliant, and refined sugar free.
- Check out these Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes for another family favorite recipe!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for air fryer sweet potato fries. Scroll down to the recipe card for the full ingredients list and instructions.
Choose orange or red sweet potatoes. These are more moist and sweet than tan or purple sweet potatoes. In addition, red and orange sweet potatoes contain more amylase. Amylase is an enzyme that breaks down starch into sugar. Thus, these are more naturally sweet.
Olive oil helps the potatoes become crispy. Feel free to use avocado oil or melted coconut oil in its place.
Sea salt and pepper add a subtle flavor without being overwhelming.
Garlic powder adds a slight garlicky flavor. This complements the natural sweetness of the potatoes well.
An optional pinch of paprika adds a tiny bit of heat.
Taste & Texture
These air fryer sweet potato fries taste like classic sweet potato fries! They are slightly sweet and slightly savory. They are great on their own. Or, add your favorite dipping sauce for extra flavor.
The air fryer makes them extra crispy and delicious! The insides are soft, hot, and fluffy. The outside has a nice crispy crunch.
How to Make
First, preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Wash and pat dry the sweet potatoes. Slice into long thin fries.
Add the sweet potato fries to a large mixing bowl. Add in the remaining ingredients.
Toss everything together until the sweet potatoes are evenly coated.
Arrange sweet potatoes in one even layer in the air fryer. If needed, you may have to do this in 2 batches.
Air fry for 10 minutes. Then, shake the air fryer basket gently. Air fry for another 5 minutes or until sweet potatoes have reached the desired level of crispiness.
Finally, remove air fryer sweet potato fries from the air fryer. Serve with your favorite condiment or sauce.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Wash and dry potatoes completely.
Slice potatoes into equal-sized fries. This ensures even cooking.
Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to work in 2 batches.
Arrange air fryer sweet potato fries in an even layer. Do not pile them on top of each other.
All air fryers are slightly different. Adjust cooking time as needed.
Do not skimp on the seasonings.
Other Cooking Methods
There are a few different ways to cook sweet potato fries. Each method has its own advantages.
Baked sweet potato fries are much healthier than deep frying. To bake sweet potato fries, preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until crispy on the outside and fork tender. This method is relatively quick, easy, and convenient.
For super crispy potatoes, deep fry them. This method is not the healthiest. It is commonly used in restaurants and fast food settings.
Grilled sweet potato fries are incredibly flavorful! The smoky char flavor from the grill balances out the sweetness. After slicing into fries, grill for 10 to 15 minutes on medium-high heat. Watch closely to prevent burning.
Sautéed or stir-fried sweet potatoes are delicious. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes in a skillet with oil. Cook on medium heat. For the best result, slice sweet potatoes into small cubes or fries.
These air fryer sweet potato fries are quick, easy, and crispy!
How to Serve & Store
Serve air fryer sweet potato fries hot and fresh! They are delicious served immediately.
Serve with eggs and bacon for breakfast, with salads or sandwiches for lunch, and a side dish for dinner. Make these Hard Boiled Eggs in Air Fryer and Air Fried Bacon! Or, try these Sweet Potato Muffins for brunch!
Pair with your favorite condiment or dipping sauce. Ketchup, mustard, BBQ sauce, and Ranch dressing are all great options.
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
To reheat, add fries to the air fryer. Air fry at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 2 to 4 minutes or until warmed through. Slightly spray with nonstick spray before air frying.
Frequently Asked Questions
Sweet potato fries take about 15 to 20 minutes in the air fryer.
Sure! Add on a few more minutes of cooking time.
Ketchup, honey mustard, BBQ sauce, and Ranch all go well with sweet potato fries.
Yes! Feel free to bake these at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 to 25 minutes.
Sweet potato fries are somewhat healthy! If they air fried instead of deep-fried, they are healthier.
Sweet potato fries go well with chicken, steak, pork, seafood, fish, salads, and sandwiches.
There is no need to soak the sweet potatoes before air frying. These air fryer sweet potato fries get crispy enough without soaking.
Air Fryer: This air fryer is my favorite. I use it seven days a week.
You May Also Like
- Sweet Potato Rice
- Air Fryer Home Fries
- Sweet Potato Curry
- Japanese Sweet Potato Fries
- Baked Sweet Potato Slices
If you make this air fryer sweet potato fries recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Join my exclusive Facebook Group for a behind the scenes look. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Side Dishes.
Get the Recipe: Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- First, preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash and pat dry the sweet potatoes. Slice into long thin fries.
- Add the sweet potato fries to a large mixing bowl. Add in the remaining ingredients.
- Toss everything together until the sweet potatoes are evenly coated.
- Arrange sweet potatoes in one even layer in the air fryer. If needed, you may have to do this in 2 batches.
- Air fry for 10 minutes. Then, shake the air fryer basket gently. Air fry for another 5 minutes or until sweet potatoes have reached desired level of crispiness.
- Finally, remove from air fryer. Serve with your favorite condiment or sauce.
- All air fryers are slightly different. Your cooking time may need to be adjusted.
- Wash and fully dry the potatoes.
- I love the skin, but feel free to peel them if desired.
- The olive oil helps crisp up the potatoes. For an oil free version, generously spray the fries with nonstick spray before air frying.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- To reheat, add potatoes to the air fryer. Spray with nonstick spray. Air fry at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 2 to 4 minutes.
- I love my Ultenic air fryer!
Love these air fryer sweet potato fries? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!