Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
These air fryer sweet potato cubes are quick, easy, crispy and delicious! They have the perfect crispy exterior with a soft tender inside. This recipe is great as a side dish, appetizer or hearty snack. It takes less than 20 minutes from start to finish!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These air fryer sweet potato cubes are so quick and easy.
- From start to finish, this recipe takes less than 20 minutes.
- Great for side dishes, appetizers, snacks, holidays and entertaining.
- Serve with any dipping sauces.
- Great for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- They are great as leftovers and meal prep.
- Both kids and adults love this recipe.
- The air fryer gives the sweet potatoes the best texture.
- The outsides are crispy while the middles are tender.
- This recipe is Whole30 compliant, Paleo, Vegan, gluten free, dairy free, sugar free, egg free and nut free.
- Check out these Air Fryer Diced Potatoes for another great recipe.
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for air fryer sweet potato cubes. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Use fresh sweet potatoes for best results. Covington and Red Garnet sweet potatoes are great options for air frying. These are readily available in grocery stores and easy to find. If using frozen sweet potatoes, add a few minutes of air frying time.
Olive oil helps these sweet potato cubes crisp up. See section below for how to make this recipe without any oil. Feel free to use olive oil, avocado oil, or melted coconut oil.
Sea salt and black pepper add flavor without being overwhelming.
Both garlic powder and onion powder also add some flavor. Feel free to adjust seasonings to suit your taste.
Serve air fryer sweet potato cubes with your choice of dipping sauces and condiments.
There are many different types of sweet potatoes. Although they all look mostly similar, there are some differences.
For this recipe, look for Garnet or Covington sweet potatoes. These varieties have more moisture, thus making them great for roasting.
Sweet potatoes are high in fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C and manganese.
These potatoes contain high levels of beta carotene, which is great for eyesight. In addition, they are a healthy form of carbohydrates.
Sweet potatoes can be baked, grilled, roasted, or fried. They are commonly eaten as baked sweet potatoes, sweet potato fries or sweet potato mash. My favorite is this Paleo Sweet Potato Casserole!
Taste & Texture
These air fryer sweet potato cubes are the perfect mix between sweet and savory. Sweet potatoes are naturally somewhat sweet. The spices used make them a little more savory. Scroll down to the flavor variations section for more ideas.
The exteriors are crispy while the middles are nice and soft. They have a similar texture to breakfast potatoes or roasted potatoes.
How to Make
First, preheat air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Wash and pat dry sweet potatoes. Then, slice into ½ inch cubes.
Add cubed sweet potatoes and all remaining ingredients to a bowl. Toss until the potatoes are completely covered in oil and seasonings.
Arrange in an even layer in air fryer.
Air fry for 12 to 15 minutes.
Finally, remove from air fryer. Serve with desired sauces.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Cut potatoes into equal sized pieces. Slice into ½ inch cubes. Unevenly sized potatoes will cook unevely.
Do not skimp on the seasonings and spices.
Air fry until fork tender.
If using frozen potatoes, add a couple more minutes of air frying time.
There are so many spices and seasonings! Here are some ideas for how to switch up the air fryer sweet potato cube flavors.
To make a spicy version, add in cayenne, chili powder, cumin and paprika. Use only ¼ tsp of each. These would be great in tacos or taco salad.
To make a sweet version, add in cinnamon, coconut sugar and nutmeg. Use only ¼ tsp of each.
Feel free to use a mixture of sweet and spicy.
Oil Versus Oil Free
This air fryer sweet potato cubes recipe calls for 1 tablespoon olive oil. Many people love air fryers because they do not require oil.
I tested this recipe with the tablespoon of olive oil and without. Here are my findings.
The batch with olive oil became softer and more tender on the inside. They took slightly longer to crisp up, but they did not burn.
The batch without olive oil was sprayed with nonstick spray before air frying. They crisped up much more quickly and some started to blacken. In addition, they were much tougher and did not become soft internally.
In conclusion, I highly recommend using oil. This recipe can be made with or without it, but the batch with olive oil was much better.
How to Serve & Store
Serve air fryer sweet potato cubes hot and fresh! They are great right out of the air fryer.
Serve with burgers, chicken or steak.
For plant based Vegan options, serve on top of a salad.
Dip into your favorite sauce or condiment, like ketchup, mustard or BBQ sauce.
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
To reheat, place back in air fryer. Air fry at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 2 to 3 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, sweet potatoes are healthy.
I use the Ultenic air fryer which is great!
Air fry them for 12 to 15 minutes. All air fryers are different though so please keep an eye on them.
Sure! Add a couple minutes of air frying time.
You May Also Like
- Whole30 French Fries
- Dairy Free Mashed Potatoes
- Sous Vide Potatoes
- Green Beans and Potatoes
- Baked Sweet Potato Slices
If you make this air fryer sweet potato cubes recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Side Dish Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
- First, preheat air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash and pat dry sweet potatoes. Slice into ½ inch cubes.
- Add cubed sweet potatoes and all remaining ingredients to a bowl. Toss until potatoes are completely covered in oil and seasonings.
- Arrange in one even layer in air fryer.
- Air fry for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Finally, remove from air fryer. Serve!
- If using frozen sweet potato cubes, air fry for 15 minutes or more. In addition, consider adding a little more oil to get them crispy.
- Olive oil can be substituted by avocado oil or melted coconut oil.
- All air fryers are different. Yours may take more or less time.
- See blog post above for different flavor variations.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- To reheat, arrange in air fryer. Air fry at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Use code AddisonK10 for $20 off the Ultenic Air Fryer!
Love these air fryer sweet potato cubes? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!