Baked Sweet Potato Slices
These baked sweet potato slices are tender, soft and so flavorful! They become caramelized in the oven. Feel free to switch up the seasonings to create sweet, savory or spicy potatoes. Great as an appetizer, side dish or snack!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These baked sweet potato slices are quick and easy.
- They are made with only pantry staple ingredients.
- Switch up the seasonings for a unique flavor.
- These baked sliced sweet potatoes are versatile.
- Serve as a Thanksgiving side dish, appetizer, snack or meal prep.
- They are great as leftovers.
- This recipe is Whole30 compliant, Paleo, gluten free, dairy free, sugar free, nut free, and allergy friendly.
- Check out these Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes and these Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries for another delicious recipe!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for baked sweet potato slices. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Look for sweet potatoes that are firm. Wash, peel and slice into rounds. They can be left with skin on. Try to slice into equally sized rounds for best results.
Olive oil helps the potatoes become softened. If desired, substitute with avocado oil or melted coconut oil. Melted butter also works well.
A little sea salt adds the perfect touch of flavor!
Scroll down to the Flavor Variations section for more flavor ideas.
Taste & Texture
These sweet potatoes are naturally somewhat sweet. They become caramelized in the oven. Use specific seasonings for other flavors.
These baked sweet potato slices are soft and tender! For crispy potatoes, broil or air fryer for a couple minutes.
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
Wash, dry and peel sweet potatoes. Slice potatoes into ½ inch size rounds.
Add sliced sweet potatoes, oil, sea salt and other seasonings to a bowl. Toss until they are fully coated.
Arrange sweet potatoes on a baking sheet with rims. Do not overlap the potatoes.
Bake for 20 minutes. Then, carefully flip. Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
Finally, remove from oven. Serve immediately or refrigerate.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Wash and pat dry potatoes. Then, peel.
Slice potatoes into equal sizes. This prevents potatoes from uneven baking.
Do not skimp on the seasonings.
Use a baking pan with rims. This prevents any oil from leaking out.
Arrange sweet potatoes in an even layer. Try not to overlap potatoes.
Flip after 20 minutes of baking.
For crispy potatoes, broil or air fry after baking. Closely watch potatoes. They can easily burn when broiled.
Flavor Variations & Seasonings
These baked sweet potato slices can be mixed and matched flavor wise.
For sweeter potatoes, use melted coconut oil. Toss with cinnamon, a pinch of nutmeg or coconut sugar. Brown sugar can be used too.
For savory potatoes, toss with black pepper, garlic powder or onion powder.
To add some spice, toss with cumin, chili powder, cayenne powder or paprika.
How to Serve & Store
Serve baked sweet potato slices hot and fresh from the oven.
Serve with ketchup, BBQ sauce or another condiment.
These sweet potatoes can be turned into a sweet treat! For a sweet potato casserole feel, top with brown sugar and marshmallows.
They are great for family dinners, holidays, Christmas and more.
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
To make them more crispy, broil or air fry for a couple minutes after baking.
No. Feel free to leave the skin on.
Sweet potatoes need at least 20 minutes to cook. If baking a whole sweet potato, bake for at least one hour.
Sweet potatoes need a cooking fat and seasonings. Wash, dry, and peel sweet potatoes.
You May Also Like
- Sweet Potato Curry
- Whole30 French Fries
- Japanese Sweet Potato Fries
- Whole30 Sweet Potato Chili
- Sweet Potato Blondies
If you make this baked sweet potato slice recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Side Dish Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Baked Sweet Potato Slices
- First, preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash, dry and peel sweet potatoes. Slice into ½ inch size rounds.
- Add sliced sweet potatoes, oil, sea salt and other seasonings to a bowl. Toss until potatoes are fully coated.
- Arrange sweet potatoes on a baking sheet with rims. Do not overlap potatoes.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Then, carefully flip. Bake another 10 minutes.
- Finally, remove from oven. Serve immediately or refrigerate.
- The sweet potatoes do not have to be peeled. With skin and without skin are both delicious.
- For a sweeter result, use cinnamon, a pinch of nutmeg or coconut sugar in addition to the sea salt. Feel free to use melted coconut oil instead of olive oil.
- For more savory, use black pepper and garlic.
- To make a spicy version, use cayenne powder, chili powder and paprika.
- Slice sweet potatoes into equal sizes. This ensures even baking.
- For crispy potatoes, broil for 1 to 2 minutes. Or, air fryer for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Love these baked sweet potato slices? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!