Sweet Potato Rice
This sweet potato rice is such an easy, healthy and delicious side dish! It takes only 15 minutes total and requires only 4 ingredients. This riced sweet potato works well as a side dish, base of a bowl, in burritos or tacos, on salads, in casseroles, and more. It has the most tasty natural sweetness!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This sweet potato rice is quick and easy.
- Only 15 minutes and 4 ingredients needed.
- This recipe is so versatile.
- It comes out fluffy and delicious.
- Use it in soups, stews, casseroles, burritos and salads.
- This is a great alternative for white rice or brown rice.
- Add in to a bowl with chicken, steak, beef or pork.
- This recipe is Whole30 compliant, Paleo, gluten free, dairy free, added sugar free and vegan.
- Check out these Baked Sweet Potato Slices for another delicious recipe!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for sweet potato rice. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Use fresh sweet potatoes for best results. They should be firm to the touch. Wash and dry completely. Then, peel and slice into 1 inch cubes.
Olive oil helps cook and tenderize the riced sweet potatoes. Use avocado oil, butter or ghee if desired. For a slightly sweeter option, use coconut oil.
Lastly, season with a pinch of sea salt and pepper.
For other flavors, consider adding in cumin, paprika, garlic, onion powder, or cinnamon.
Sweet Potato Health Benefits
Sweet potatoes are loaded with health benefits! Here are some of the health benefits of sweet potatoes.
They are high in fiber.
Sweet potatoes can be baked, fried, air fried, boiled, roasted, grilled or steamed.
They are high in beta carotene. The body is able to convert beta carotene into Vitamin A.
In addition, sweet potatoes contain Vitamin C and potassium.
Overall, sweet potatoes have some health benefits.
Taste & Texture
This sweet potato rice tastes like sweet potatoes. It is naturally slightly sweet. Change up the flavors with different spices, seasonings or oils.
The rice comes out fluffy. Continue cooking for a more crispy result. Otherwise, they are fairly light and fluffy.
How to Make
First, wash, dry and peel sweet potatoes. Slice them into 1 inch cubes.
Add cubed sweet potatoes to a food processor. Process until small rice shape is formed.
Then, add olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the sweet potato rice.
Season with sea salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
Lastly, remove from heat. Serve!
Expert Tips & Tricks
Use fresh sweet potatoes when possible. Look for ones that are firm to the touch.
Wash and dry completely. I like to scrub my potatoes clean.
Peel potatoes then cube into 1 inch pieces.
Food process until the cubes have turned into small rice size pieces.
If you do not have a food processor, feel free to use a cheese grater. The rice may be slightly larger this way.
Cook until rice has reached desired consistency. The longer it cooks, the more tender inside and more crispy outside it becomes.
How to Serve & Store
Serve sweet potato rice hot and fresh!
Serve by itself, topped with fresh herbs, or with some sauce.
This riced sweet potato works well with chicken, shrimp, beef, pork, and stir fry.
Add it to the bottom of a shallow bowl. Then, top with protein and veggies.
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
To reheat, add to a skillet over low heat. Add in a drizzle of oil. Cook until warmed.
Flavor Variations & Add Ins
Consider switching up the flavors!
Cook in coconut oil for a slightly sweeter flavor.
For a taco flavor, add in cumin, paprika and chili powder.
Add in some garlic powder and onion powder.
For a sweet version, add in cinnamon.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, sweet potato rice is healthy. It is Whole30 approved, Paleo, gluten free, dairy free, nut free, sugar free and healthy.
Yes! This riced sweet potato can take the place of rice.
Yes, this recipe is gluten free.
Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container. This is good for up to 4 days.
Add leftovers to a pan over low heat. Add in some oil. Heat until warmed.
Food Processor: This food processor is easy to use and great for this recipe.
Spatula: Stir occasionally with a spatula to prevent burning.
Pan: This pan is great for cooking, pan searing, and sautéing.
You May Also Like
- Whole30 French Fries
- Japanese Sweet Potato Fries
- Sweet Potato Curry
- Sautéed Carrots
- Roasted Cauliflower and Asparagus
If you make this sweet potato rice recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Join my exclusive Facebook Group for a behind the scenes look. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Side Dishes.
Get the Recipe: Sweet Potato Rice
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, cubed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- pinch sea salt
- pinch black pepper
- First, wash, dry and peel sweet potatoes. Slice into 1 inch cubes.
- Add cubed sweet potatoes to a food processor. Process until small rice shape is formed.
- Then, add olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add in sweet potato rice.
- Season with sea salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Finally, remove from heat. Serve!
- Be sure to wash and dry sweet potatoes completely.
- Slice into 1 inch cubes before food processing. Food processors cannot break down entire potatoes.
- Continue cooking until riced sweet potato has reached desired texture.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- To reheat, add leftovers to a skillet over low heat. Add in a drizzle of olive oil and cook until warmed.
Love this easy sweet potato rice? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!
FREE Meal Plan!Subscribe via Email