This homemade steak seasoning is incredibly flavorful! It requires only a handful of pantry staple spices and 5 minutes. This seasonings works well on other meats and vegetables. Season chicken, beef, hamburgers, lamb, shrimp, fish, and other proteins. It instantly adds a depth of steakhouse flavor!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This steak seasoning takes only 5 minutes.
- It is quick and easy to make.
- This recipe requires only common spices and seasonings.
- The brown sugar or maple sugar add a hint of sweetness.
- This homemade spice mix is a little sweet, savory, and a little spicy!
- It can be used on other meats and proteins.
- This recipe is forgiving. Feel free to tweak this recipe to suit your taste.
- This seasoning provides a restaurant quality flavor.
- It is naturally gluten free, dairy free, egg free, and nut free. In addition, it can be made Paleo and refined sugar free. The seasoning itself is vegan and vegetarian.
- Check out this Skirt Steak for a delicious family dinner recipe!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for homemade steak seasoning mix. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Light brown sugar or maple sugar add a touch of sweetness. After making this many times, I prefer maple sugar. It adds just a hint of maple flavor.
Paprika is naturally spicy. This seasoning is not overly spicy. Paprika adds a pop of flavor.
Both sea salt and pepper add a subtle flavor.
Garlic powder and onion powder also add taste.
Chili powder or cayenne powder add more heat. Feel free to reduce the amount for a more mild flavor.
Lastly, dried thyme adds a slight minty and earthy flavor.
How to Season Steak
Here is how to season steak perfectly.
Dried spices and seasonings add so much flavor without being overpowering.
Sea salt and pepper are common spices. They add a classic flavor. Feel free to garnish with some flaky sea salt on top!
For a restaurant flavor, baste steaks with melted butter and fresh herbs. This locks in the juices and adds flavor.
Once the seasoning blend is ready, season the steaks. Rub steaks all over both sides, top and bottom. Coat every square inch of the steak with seasoning.
After the steak is cooked, garnish with flaky sea salt for an added crunch. In addition, feel free to garnish with garlic butter, fresh herbs, or melted butter.
Taste & Texture
This is the best steak seasoning! It is a little spicy, a little savory, and a little sweet. It has notes of different flavors.
The spice blend adds a very slight “crust” to the steak. In addition, garnish with flaky sea salt after cooking for more crunch.
How to Make
First of all, combine all spices in a shallow bowl. Stir to combine.
Use as a dry rub on steaks or meat immediately. Or, store in a glass jar with a lid until ready to use.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Taste the seasoning blend and adjust as needed. This recipe can be tweaked, changed and played with.
Be sure to rub steaks all over with this steak seasoning.
Do not be shy! The seasoning adds so much flavor but does not overwhelm the meat.
Feel free to use this on chicken, burgers, vegetables, French fries, potatoes, and more!
How to Store
Store this steak seasoning in a jar with a lid.
It stays fresh for up to 2 months.
Since there is no anti-caking agent, use a spoon to mix together every so often.
Frequently Asked Questions
This homemade steak seasoning is the best! It adds so much flavor. There are store bought seasoning blends like McCormick, but this homemade recipe is better.
Use this homemade blend for grilling steaks.
Season the steaks immediaetly before cooking.
To prepare a good steak, use room temperature steak. Pat dry with paper towels. Add seasoning generously. Use a hot pan or grill for searing. Do not over cook steak. Use a meat thermometer to measure internal temperature. Slice against the grain once steak has rested for 5 to 10 minutes.
Montreal steak seasoning is made with salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, red pepper flakes and corinader.
You May Also Like
If you make this easy steak seasoning recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Join my exclusive Facebook Group for a behind the scenes look. I would love for you to follow along!
Get the Recipe: Steak Seasoning
- First, combine all ingredients in a shallow bowl. Stir to combine.
- Use as a dry rub on steaks or meat immediately. Or, store in a glass jar with a lid until ready to use.
- This recipe is very forgiving. Feel free to adjust the amounts to suit your taste.
- I prefer maple sugar and coconut sugar to light brown sugar. All three work well.
- Store this seasoning in a glass jar with lid on top.
- It works well on steak, chicken, pork, lamb, beef, burgers, seafood, and vegetables!
Have you signed up for my newsletter? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!