WHOLE30 ONION RINGS
These Whole30 Onion Rings are quick, easy, crispy and so delicious! Comfort food has never been easier. Since these are air fryer onion rings, they’re much healthier than traditional onion rings. In addition, no need to clean up the mess of deep frying! These onion rings pair well with so many different Whole30 dinners. Dip into Whole30 Garlic Aioli for one insane combo!
INGREDIENTS FOR WHOLE30 ONION RINGS
WHITE ONION: Large white onions sliced into large onion rings are the best for these air fryer onion rings!
ALMOND FLOUR: Almond flour is a common Whole30 and Paleo flour that’s made from ground up almonds.
TAPIOCA FLOUR: Tapioca flour is very similar to cornstarch but it’s Whole30 approved. The tapioca flour gives these air fryer onion rings the perfect breading texture.
COCONUT CREAM & LEMON JUICE: Coconut cream and lemon juice are used together to create a buttermilk mixture. Each onion ring is coated in the flour mixture, dunked into the buttermilk, then dipped back in the flour mixture. This gives them a ton of breading!
AVOCADO OIL SPRAY: For Whole30, use a compliant nonstick spray. My favorite is the Chosen Foods Avocado Oil spray which contains just avocado oil.
OTHER INGREDIENTS: garlic powder, onion powder, paprika
HOW TO MAKE WHOLE30 ONION RINGS
Preheat your air fryer (or oven) to 400 degrees. Slice onion into “rings” and set aside.
In a shallow bowl, combine almond flour, tapioca flour, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika. Stir to combine. In another shallow bowl, combine coconut cream and lemon juice.
Next, prepare baking sheet by spraying lightly with avocado oil. If using an oven, line baking sheet with parchment paper.
Dip each onion ring into the flour mixture, then into the coconut cream mixture then back into the flour mixture. Then, place on baking sheet. Continue this process for each onion ring.
Bake for about 10 to 20 minutes. Check around 7-8 minutes to make sure onion rings aren’t burning (some air fryers are much more powerful than others). Once crispy, remove from oven and serve.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH AIR FRYER ONION RINGS
Air fryer onion rings are versatile and pair well with plenty of Whole30 dinners. Dip into Whole30 Garlic Aioli or desired sauce! Pair with Whole30 Pulled Pork, Whole30 Burger Bowls, or Whole30 BBQ Ribs.
Get the Recipe: Whole30 Onion Rings
- Air fryer
- First, preheat air fryer (or oven) to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice onion into "rings" and set aside.
- Then, combine almond flour, tapioca flour, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika in a shallow bowl. Stir to combine.
- In another shallow bowl, add coconut cream and lemon juice.
- Prepare baking sheet by spraying with avocado oil spray. If using an oven, line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Then, dip each onion ring into the flour mixture. Next, dip it into the wet mixture. Dip back into the flour mixture. Place on baking sheet and repeat for each onion ring.
- Air fry or bake for 10 minutes. If crispy on the outside, remove from oven. If not, continue air frying or baking until crispy.
- Finally, remove from oven and serve with Whole30 Garlic Aioli or desired sauce!
- My air fryer is VERY powerful. Continue air frying or baking until breading is crispy and onions are tender.
- If baking in the oven, your onion rings will likely need at least 20 minutes.