Whole30 Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
Is there anything better than melt in your mouth pulled pork? This recipe is incredibly easy, made with good for you ingredients, and perfect for family dinners or meal prep. In addition, a slow cooker does all the hard work. If you’re ready for an insanely easy and hearty recipe, let’s get cooking!
LIST OF INGREDIENTS
PORK SHOULDER: Pork shoulder is the perfect cut of meat for pulled pork since it contains fat. This inexpensive cut of meat comes from the pig’s shoulder and may contain bones. This pulled pork is fall off the bone tender!
BROTH: The broth is used as a cooking liquid. Both chicken broth and beef broth work just as well.
SEASONINGS: Onion and garlic powder, sea salt and pepper are used to add a subtle hint of flavor. The pork itself is the main star of the show and doesn’t need a ton of extra seasoning.
BBQ SAUCE: To keep this Whole30, use a Whole30 compliant BBQ sauce. My favorites are The New Primal Smoky BBQ and Primal Kitchen Foods BBQ. I usually add about 1 cup but feel free to add more or less to suit your taste.
HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT CUT OF MEAT
The key to a tender pulled pork is all in the cut of meat. Use a pork butt or pork shoulder with some fat to yield the best results. Bone in pork typically leads to an extra tender pulled pork. Stay away from cuts that are super lean – these tend to dry out when cooking.
HOW TO MAKE WHOLE30 SLOW COOKER PULLED PORK
First, add broth to slow cooker.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH WHOLE30 SLOW COOKER PULLED PORK
Pulled pork is extremely versatile. Pair this slow cooker pulled pork with roasted vegetables, mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes, sweet potato fries, or salad.
Get the Recipe: Whole30 Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- 4 lbs pork shoulder, or pork butt
- 2 cups broth, chicken or beef
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Sprinkle garlic powder
- Sprinkle onion powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 cup BBQ sauce, sugar free for Whole30
- First, set your slow cooker to low and pour broth in.
- Place pork in slow cooker. Add in olive oil and seasonings.
- Cook on low for about 8 hours. When meat is tender, discard all but 1/2 cup of the liquid. Discard bones if necessary.
- Finally, shred pork with 2 forks inside the slow cooker. Add in BBQ sauce and gently stir until pork is covered in sauce.
- Pork butt and pork shoulder both work well in this recipe.
- Chicken or beef broth can be used here.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
4 Comments on “Whole30 Slow Cooker Pulled Pork”
This pulled pork was a huge hit with my family! We all loved it.