Vegan Ginger Cookies
These Vegan ginger cookies are warmly spiced, soft, and chewy. They are easy to make and great for the holidays! The ginger and molasses flavors are warm and cozy. These Vegan gluten free ginger molasses cookies are quick, delicious and tasty!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These Vegan ginger cookies are made in one mixing bowl.
- No cookie dough chilling required.
- These cookies have warm flavors, including ginger and molasses.
- These cookies are softer than gingersnaps, but just as flavorful!
- They are made without eggs, without dairy, without flax eggs, without gluten, and without oil.
- This recipe is gluten free, nut free, dairy free, and Vegan.
- Check out these Paleo Gingerbread Chocolate Chip Cookies or Olive Oil Cookies for other holiday recipes!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Vegan butter is a great Vegan baking fat. Use Vegan butter sticks (not a spread) for best results. If you are not Vegan or dairy free, regular butter works well. I have not tried coconut oil, but that may be another option.
Coconut sugar gives these gluten free ginger cookies a nice natural sweetness. Lightly packed light brown sugar can be used in its place if desired.
The molasses adds a rich depth of flavor. Molasses and ginger go very well together. If you want to make these without molasses, date syrup or maple syrup can be substituted.
Vanilla extract adds a great classic flavor.
A little baking soda helps these cookies rise while baking.
Ground ginger is key in this recipe. It gives these cookies a strong ginger flavor. For a more mild taste, reduce to 1 teaspoon ginger.
Cinnamon also provides a nice pop of flavor. The cinnamon flavor itself is not very strong, but it helps bring out the ginger flavor even more.
Granulated sugar adds a nice coating to these cookies. I do not recommend trying brown sugar or coconut sugar for this.
Taste & Texture
These Vegan ginger cookies have a strong molasses and ginger taste. They are similar to gingerbread.
These cookies are soft with a slightly crunchy sugar coating. They are soft when removed from the oven, but become slightly more firm as they cool.
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
In a large bowl or stand mixer, mix Vegan butter, coconut sugar, molasses and vanilla extract until combined.
Add in all remaining ingredients except granulated sugar. Stir until a thick dough forms.
Use cookie scoop to scoop balls of cookie dough. Add granulated sugar to a shallow bowl. Roll each ball in sugar until completely covered.
Then, place balls of dough at least 2 inches apart on baking pan.
Bake for 10 to 11 minutes or until edges are slightly crispy and middles are set.
Finally, remove from oven. Allow cookies to cool on pan for 10 minutes before carefully transferring them to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Use Vegan butter sticks, not a buttery spread.
The cookie dough will be thick. Use a cookie scoop to help scoops the balls of dough. This ensures evenly sized cookies.
Roll dough balls completely in sugar.
Do not over bake! These cookies will look soft when first removed from the oven.
Allow cookies to cool on pan for about 10 minutes. This allows them to firm up and become easier to handle.
How to Serve & Store
Serve Vegan ginger molasses cookies once cool enough to handle. They are delicious warm with a tall glass of almond milk or oat milk!
Store cookies covered at room temperature for up to 4 days. If desired, freeze cookies individually for up to 1 month.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, these are gluten free if using gluten free flour.
Sure. I highly highly recommend the molasses, but if you are out, maple syrup or date syrup can be used.
The sugar coating gives them a nice crunchy exterior. These cookies can be made without it if need be.
You May Also Like
Get the Recipe: Vegan Ginger Cookies
- First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, mix Vegan butter, coconut sugar, molasses and vanilla extract until combined.
- Add in all remaining ingredients except granulated sugar. Stir until a thick dough forms.
- Use cookie scoop to scoop balls of cookie dough. Add granulated sugar to a shallow bowl. Roll each ball in sugar until completely covered.
- Place balls of dough at least 2 inches apart on baking pan.
- Bake for 10 to 11 minutes or until edges are slightly crispy and middles are set.
- Finally, remove from oven. Allow cookies to cool on pan for 10 minutes before carefully transferring them to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- The cookie dough will be pretty thick.
- Use a cookie scoop to help scoop balls of dough.
- Fully coat the balls of dough in sugar coating.
- If desired, sugar coating can be omitted. The cookies will be less crunchy. The sugar gives them a nice coating.
- If you do not have molasses, date syrup or maple syrup can be used in its place.
- Do not over bake cookies. Remove from oven when the middles are barely set and edges have started to crisp up.
- These cookies will firm up at room temperature.
Love these Vegan ginger cookies? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!