Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
These Vegan oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are chewy, thick and so delicious! These one bowl cookies have the perfect texture and best flavor. They are easy to make and both gluten free and Vegan!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These Vegan oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are incredibly tasty!
- They have a chewy texture but they are gooey in the middle.
- The melted dark chocolate chips are so yummy.
- They are made without Vegan butter, without eggs and without applesauce.
- This recipe is made in one mixing bowl.
- For a healthier option, check out these Banana Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies!
- No dough chilling required!
- These oatmeal cookies are gluten free, dairy free, and Vegan.
- Check out these Almond Flour Oatmeal Cookies for another great option!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for Vegan oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Scroll down to the recipe card below for the full recipe.
Coconut oil is a great Vegan baking fat. In addition to having many nutritional benefits, coconut oil has great baking properties. It is solid when cold and liquid when heated. For this recipe, use room temperature coconut oil. It should be solid but not hard.
Both white sugar and brown sugar add the sweetness. Tightly pack light brown sugar while measuring. I have not tested this recipe with coconut sugar.
The almond milk adds some moisture. Any dairy free milk works!
Two teaspoons of vanilla extract add a ton of classic flavor.
Gluten free old fashioned oats are the best oats for these cookies. Old fashioned oats are softer and larger than quick oats and provide both flavor and texture. Old fashioned oats yield chewy cookies. For the version without oats, try these Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Gluten free 1 to 1 flour is a great flour alternative. I use and love the King Arthur Flour brand. If not gluten free, all purpose flour works too. For this recipe, I do not suggest any other replacements.
The baking soda helps these cookies rise while baking.
A pinch of sea salt makes all the difference in these Vegan oatmeal chocolate chip cookies! I like to use a high quality flaky sea salt, but regular salt works too.
The dark chocolate chips are very important! Use Vegan chocolate chips, such as Enjoy Life dark chocolate chips.
If you are interested in a peanut butter version, check out these Vegan Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies!
Taste & Texture
These Vegan oatmeal chocolate chip cookies have the taste and texture of a classic oatmeal cookie! The two most prominent flavors are oatmeal and dark chocolate.
The texture is spot on. Think golden crispy edges and a soft chewy center. The old fashioned oats yield the perfect texture.
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
Beat coconut oil, white sugar and brown sugar in a stand mixer for 1 minute.
Then, add in remaining all ingredients except chocolate chips. Stir to combine.
Fold in dark chocolate chips.
Scoop dough in rounded 1 inch balls onto lined baking pan.
Bake for 9 to 10 minutes or until cookies are just set in the middle.
Finally, remove from oven. Cool on pan for 5 minutes before carefully transferring to a cooling rack.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Use room temperature coconut oil. Cold hardened coconut oil is much more difficult to mix.
Tightly pack light brown sugar.
Use old fashioned oats, not quick cooking oats.
Use cookie scoop to scoop evenly sized balls of dough. This ensures even baking.
Place balls of dough at least 2 inches apart. They do spread while baking.
Bake until cookies are just set in the middle. They will firm up at room temperature so do not over bake them!
With that said, allow Vegan oatmeal chocolate chip cookies to cool on pan for 5 minutes. Then, carefully transfer to a cooling rack to finish cooling. They are soft!
How to Serve & Store
Serve Vegan oatmeal chocolate chip cookies once they have cooled. It is tempting to dig in when they are hot, but they are soft.
Store covered at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Store in fridge for up to 7 days.
These freeze well! Wrap each individual cookie before freezing. Freeze for up to 2 months.
If you have extra oats, make this Vegan Oatmeal!
Vegan Chocolate Chips
To keep this recipe Vegan, be sure to use Vegan chocolate chips. I swear by Enjoy Life since they melt well! Here are some of my favorite brands:
Variations & Add Ins
These Vegan oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are delicious as is, but consider some additional flavors! Add these into the dough before baking.
Pinch ground ginger
White chocolate chips
Peanut butter chocolate chips
Butterscotch chocolate chips
Frequently Asked Questions
Old fashioned oats are the best for flavor and texture.
Sure! Wrap each cookie individually before freezing.
Yes! If making ahead of time, freeze balls of dough. Then place on baking sheet and add 1 to 2 minutes of extra baking time.
You May Also Like
If you make this Vegan oatmeal chocolate chip cookies recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Vegan Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a stand mixer or large mixing bowl, beat coconut oil, white sugar, and brown sugar for 1 minute or until mixed.
- Once mixed, add in all remaining ingredients except chocolate chips. Stir to combine. Batter will be thick.
- Then, fold in dark chocolate chips.
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop 1 inch round balls of dough onto lined baking pan.
- Bake for 9 to 10 minutes or until cookies are just set in the middle.
- Finally, remove from oven. Allow cookies to cool on pan for 5 minutes. Then transfer to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Use refined coconut oil for a neutral flavor. Unrefined coconut oil has a slight coconut flavor.
- Tightly pack light brown sugar when measuring.
- Old fashioned oats are the best oats for these cookies. Use gluten free oats for gluten free.
- Gluten free 1 to 1 flour or all purpose flour both work well.
- The cookie dough will be thick.
- These cookies spread while baking so space balls of dough at least 2 inches apart on pan.
- Bake until cookies are just barely set in the middle. They will firm up after baking.
Love these Vegan oatmeal chocolate chip cookies? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans and new recipes!