Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies
These eggless chocolate chip cookies are thick, chewy and gooey! They have the flavors and texture of classic cookies, but they are made without eggs. These gluten free egg free cookies are perfect for those with allergies or for when you run out of eggs!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These eggless chocolate chip cookies are so easy to make.
- They are made in one mixing bowl.
- These chocolate chip cookies without eggs are great for those allergic to eggs.
- They only take 10 minutes to mix together and 10 minutes to bake.
- This recipe is made without eggs, without cream cheese, and without milk.
- This recipe is egg free, gluten free, vegetarian, oil free and easily made Vegan and dairy free.
- Check out these Eggless Brownies are another great gluten free egg free dessert!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Cold butter is key in helping these cookies not spread too much while baking. Butter adds a great buttery flavor to these cookies. For dairy free and Vegan, use Vegan butter sticks.
Both white sugar and light brown sugar add the sweetness. I do not recommend using another granulated sweetener. Coconut sugar might make these a little too gritty.
Unsweetened applesauce is the egg replacement. Applesauce is a great Vegan egg replacement because it is easy to find, neutral tasting, and adds the perfect texture. Nobody can ever tell these cookies are egg free!
Gluten free 1 to 1 flour is a great replacement for all purpose flour. If not gluten free, all purpose flour works well. A lot of flour is used in this recipe to produce thick cookies!
A little tapioca flour adds some chewiness to this recipe. Cornstarch and arrowroot powder are perfect substitutes.
Baking soda helps these cookies rise while baking.
The chocolate chips add the best chocolate flavor! For a dairy free and Vegan option, use Vegan dark chocolate chips. I use Enjoy Life dark chocolate chips because they are allergy friendly and they melt well!
Add in a pinch of sea salt if your butter is unsalted.
Taste & Texture
These egg free chocolate chip cookies taste like classic cookies. They are buttery, sweet, and have melted chocolate chips throughout. The applesauce flavor is not detectable.
These cookies are thick! They are chewy around the outside and gooey in the middle.
Baking without eggs is challenging but totally doable. There are several reasons for baking without eggs. These include:
You ran out of eggs
Eggs are used in baking for moisture, rise, structure, and texture. Replacing eggs is not easy!
For these eggless chocolate chip cookies, applesauce replaces eggs. It adds the moisture and texture that eggs provide. For best results, measure ingredients carefully. Do not make any ingredient substitutions. Do not over bake cookies!
Some of my Vegan recipes call for flax eggs, but this eggless chocolate chip cookies recipe needs applesauce. Flax eggs do not provide enough structure.
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a stand mixer, add cubes of cold butter, white sugar and light brown sugar. Beat for 3 minutes or until no clumps of butter remain.
Then, add in unsweetened applesauce. Stir to combine.
Add in flour, tapioca flour, and baking soda. Stir until a thick cookie dough forms.
Fold in dark chocolate chips.
Use an ice cream scoop or large spoon to scoop balls of dough onto lined baking pan. Mine were about 4 ounces each which produces large cookies. Place balls of dough at least 2 inches apart.
Bake for 9 to 10 minutes or until the middles of the cookies are just barely set in the middle.
Finally, remove pan from oven. Allow cookies on cool on pan for 10 minutes. Carefully transfer cookies to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Use cold butter from the fridge. Slice into small cubes. Cold butter helps the cookies have the buttery flavor without spreading too much while baking. Small cubes of butter cream well with the sugars.
Tightly pack light brown sugar.
Bake cookies until they are just set in the middle. They will firm up slightly while cooling.
How to Serve & Store
Serve eggless chocolate chip cookies once they are cool enough to handle. They are delicious with a big glass of almond milk!
Store cookies covered at room temperature for up to 4 days. Store in fridge for up to 7 days for a firmer cookie.
These cookies freeze and thaw well.
Variations & Add Ins
Consider adding one or two of these ingredients to your eggless chocolate chip cookie dough before baking.
White chocolate chips
Mini chocolate chips
Peanut butter chips
Dash of cinnamon
How to Make Allergy Friendly
These cookies can be made allergy friendly if needed.
For Vegan and dairy free cookies, replace butter with Vegan butter sticks. Use cold Vegan butter sticks sliced into small cubes like the recipe calls for.
In addition, use Vegan chocolate chips. These cookies are also vegetarian as written.
These cookies are nut free as is, but double check your flour ingredients to make sure it is nut free if needed.
For gluten free, use gluten free 1 to 1 baking flour.
Frequently Asked Questions
It depends on the recipe, but applesauce, chia eggs and flax eggs are egg replacements for cookies.
Cookies need something to bind them together. Without eggs, they need an egg replacement.
Yes! You would never know these are eggless.
Sure! Use Vegan butter sticks and Vegan chocolate chips.
You May Also Like
If you make this eggless chocolate chip cookies recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Dessert Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies
- First, preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a stand mixer, add cubes of cold butter, white sugar and light brown sugar. Beat for 3 minutes or until no clumps of butter remain.
- Then, add in applesauce. Stir to combine.
- Add in flour, tapioca flour, and baking soda. Stir until a thick dough forms.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Use an ice cream scoop or large spoon to scoop balls of dough onto lined baking pan. Mine were about 4 ounces each which produces large cookies. Place balls of dough at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 9 to 10 minutes or until the middles of the cookies are just barely set in the middle.
- Remove pan from oven. Allow cookies on cool on pan for 10 minutes. Carefully transfer cookies to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- These cookies are very large in size, but feel free to make them smaller. Adjust baking time as needed.
- Use cold butter right from the fridge. Slice into small cubes.
- Feel free to use Vegan butter for a dairy free and Vegan option. This works better than using coconut oil.
- All purpose flour can be used if desired.
- Bake until cookies look barely set in the middle. They will firm up while cooling.
- Store covered at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Love these eggless chocolate chip cookies? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!