Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
This pumpkin chocolate chip bread is soft, fluffy, warmly spiced and incredibly delicious! The pumpkin and chocolate combination is crave worthy. This bread comes together quickly and easily in one mixing bowl. Only 45 minutes total! This delicious bread is great for the fall season for breakfast, brunch or dessert.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This pumpkin chocolate chip bread is quick and easy.
- Only one mixing bowl needed.
- This bread takes just 45 minutes total.
- Chocolate and pumpkin pair so well together.
- This bread is especially delicious for fall, but delicious year round.
- It is cozy and warmly spiced.
- Try this Pumpkin Cheesecake Bread too!
- This bread is not overly sweet.
- Great for any occasion, any time of the day.
- Eat it for breakfast, brunch, snacks or dessert. Check out this Gluten Free Bread too!
- This recipe can be made gluten free and refined sugar free. It is naturally nut free.
- Check out this Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread for another similar recipe!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Use pumpkin purée, not pumpkin pie filling. Pumpkin purée is sold in a can in the baking aisle of the grocery store.
Three eggs help bind the batter together. Do not use a Vegan egg replacement in this recipe. Instead, make this Vegan Pumpkin Bread.
Melted coconut oil adds moisture. Feel free to replace with avocado oil, vegetable oil or melted butter if needed. Use refined coconut oil for a neutral flavor.
Vanilla extract adds a cozy warmth.
Both regular all purpose flour and gluten free flour work well. I love King Arthur Flour and Bob’s Red Mill for gluten free options.
Baking powder and baking soda help leaven this quick bread.
Use brown sugar or coconut sugar. They both add sweetness. Coconut sugar is refined sugar free.
Both pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon add the warm spices. Feel free to omit pumpkin pie spice if needed. Add in a pinch of nutmeg if desired.
Lastly, use any type of chocolate chips or chunks.
Check out this Healthy Pumpkin Bread too!
Taste & Texture
The pumpkin gives this pumpkin chocolate chip bread a subtle sweetness. The chocolate and pumpkin flavors go so well together.
It has a moist tender crumb. This bread is soft, fluffy and delicious.
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a bread loaf pan with parchment paper.
In a large mixing bowl, add pumpkin purée, eggs, melted coconut oil and the eggs. Stir to combine.
Add in all remaining ingredients except chocolate chips. Stir to combine.
Fold in the chocolate chips.
Transfer batter to the lined bread pan. Smooth into one even layer. Top with a few more chocolate chips on top.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Finally, remove pumpkin bread from oven. Fully cool before slicing into.
Expert Tips & Tricks
To make the perfect pumpkin chocolate chip bread, there are a few expert tips and tricks to keep in mind.
First, be sure to use canned pumpkin purée, not pumpkin pie filling.
Use either all purpose flour or gluten free 1 to 1 flour.
Be careful not to over mix the batter, as this can result in a tough and dense bread.
Spread into an even layer in the parchment lined bread pan.
Top with a few extra chocolate chips on top before baking. Those are my favorite!
Do not bake too long.
Allow bread to fully cool before slicing into.
Flavor Variations & Add Ins
Here are some quick and delicious ways to switch up your pumpkin chocolate chip bread.
Use white chocolate chips.
Use mini chocolate chips.
Add in some raisins or dried cranberries.
Add in walnuts.
Throw in some pecans.
Add extra pumpkin pie spice.
Add extra cinnamon.
Omit the chocolate chips completely.
How to Serve & Store
This pumpkin chocolate chip bread is delicious served warm or at room temperature.
Serve alongside coffee, tea, milk, a smoothie or orange juice. For a dessert, make these Pumpkin Spice Cookies!
Serve for breakfast, as a snack, or even as a healthy dessert. Warm it up with some butter or peanut butter on top.
Store covered at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Freeze for up to 1 month. Wrap individual slices before freezing.
Frequently Asked Questions
Insert toothpick into the bread. If it comes out mostly clean, then bread is done baking. The top will become a slight dome shape and will look set.
Use gluten free flour to keep this pumpkin bread gluten free.
Yes! Wrap individual slices in plastic wrap or a Ziplock bag before freezing.
Quick bread is bread made without yeast. Instead, quick breads use baking powder or baking soda to rise. Banana bread is the most common quick bread.
You can, but freshly roasted pumpkin is much more time consuming. In addition, it may be more liquid. Be sure to discard any excess liquid. I highly recommend using canned pumpkin purée.
Hand Mixer: This hand mixer is great for baking! This pumpkin chocolate chip bread recipe does not require a hand mixer. Feel free to use one if desired.
KitchenAid Stand Mixer: This stand mixer is heavy duty and great for baking.
Pre-Cut Parchment Paper Sheets: Use these parchment paper sheets to line the loaf pan.
Pyrex 3 Glass Mixing Bowls: These glass mixing bowls are sturdy and easy to clean.
Pyrex Glass Measuring Cups: Use these durable glass measuring cups for measuring ingredients.
Bread Pan: This is the bread loaf pan I use and love.
You May Also Like
- Vegan Pumpkin Bread
- Easy Pumpkin Bread
- Almond Flour Pumpkin Bread
- Pumpkin Banana Bread
- Healthy Banana Bread
If you make this pumpkin chocolate chip bread recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Join my exclusive Facebook Group for a behind the scenes look. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Breakfast Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
- First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a bread pan with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add pumpkin purée, eggs, melted coconut oil and eggs. Stir to combine.
- Add in all remaining ingredients except chocolate chips. Stir to combine.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Transfer batter to the lined bread pan. Smooth into one even layer. Top with a few more chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Finally, remove pumpkin bread from oven. Allow bread to fully cool before slicing into.
- Use pumpkin purée. Do not use pumpkin pie filling.
- Both all purpose flour and gluten free 1 to 1 flour work well. Do not directly substitute another flour.
- Both brown sugar and coconut sugar can be used.
- If you cannot find pumpkin pie spice, use more cinnamon.
- This bread can be made without the chocolate chips.
- Do not over bake. Bake until the top has risen slightly and looks set.
- Insert toothpick into bread. If it comes out mostly clean, bread is done baking.
- Allow bread to fully cool before slicing into.
- Store leftovers covered for up to 3 days at room temperature.
- Store in fridge for 5 days.
- Freeze individual slices for up to 1 month.
Love this homemade pumpkin chocolate chip bread? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!