Vegan Pumpkin Bread
This vegan pumpkin bread is quick, easy and so cozy! The warm flavors are perfect for crisp fall days. This one mixing bowl recipe is great for breakfast, snacks or a healthy dessert. Grab a cup of coffee or mug of hot chocolate and dig in!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This vegan pumpkin bread is quick and easy to make.
- Everything is made in one mixing bowl.
- Pumpkin and chocolate go so well together.
- This recipe is great for breakfast, snacks and dessert.
- It is not overly sweet.
- This recipe is gluten free (use gluten free flour), dairy free, egg free, vegan, refined sugar free, and easily made nut free.
- For nut free, use oat milk or coconut milk.
- Check out this Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread or this Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread for another delicious recipe!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for vegan pumpkin bread. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Use pumpkin purée, not pumpkin pie filling. If you have more pumpkin, try this Easy Pumpkin Bread.
Melted coconut oil adds moisture and nutrients. If desired, use avocado oil.
Any type of vegan milk works. For nut free, use oat milk or coconut milk.
Coconut sugar is a great refined sugar free sweetener. Use brown sugar in its place if needed.
Both all purpose flour and gluten free 1 to 1 flour work well. I do not recommend another flour in this specific recipe. For Paleo and grain free, try this Almond Flour Pumpkin Bread!
Both baking powder and baking soda help this bread rise slightly.
Cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice add the warm flavor. Feel free to replace pumpkin pie spice with more cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg.
Any type of chocolate works! Chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, mini chips and chopped chocolate work.
Taste & Texture
This vegan pumpkin bread tastes like pumpkin, cinnamon and chocolate. It is warmly spiced, flavorful and cozy. It truly has the best fall flavors!
The texture is soft and slightly dense. It does not rise much while baking.
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a bread pan (8 inch by 4 inch) with parchment paper.
In a mixing bowl, add pumpkin purée, melted coconut oil and milk. Stir to combine.
Then, add in coconut sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. Stir to combine.
Fold in the chocolate chips.
Add batter to the lined bread pan. Smooth out the top.
Bake vegan pumpkin bread for 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Finally, remove from oven. Allow bread to cool before slicing and serving.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Carefully measure all ingredients.
Use pumpkin purée. Do not use pumpkin pie filling.
If needed, replace melted coconut oil with avocado oil. Light flavored olive oil can be used in a pinch.
Use either all purpose flour or gluten free 1 to 1 flour.
If necessary, replace pumpkin pie spice with more cinnamon and nutmeg. A little nutmeg goes a long way.
Bake vegan gluten free pumpkin bread until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Do not over bake! Since all ovens are different, keep a close eye on this bread after the 35 minute mark.
If your bread is becoming too brown on top, add a piece of tin foil on top and continue baking.
Allow bread to almost fully cool before slicing into. This bread is not overly fragile.
Flavor Variations & Add Ins
Consider these flavor variations and add ins.
Add in white chocolate chips.
Sprinkle in mini chocolate chips.
Add pumpkin seeds or oats to the top of the bread.
Make a streusel as a topping.
Add in chopped pecans or walnuts.
How to Serve & Store
Serve vegan pumpkin chocolate chip bread once almost fully cooled.
This bread is delicious served warm or cold.
Top with some peanut butter, almond butter or vegan butter.
Pair with coffee, hot chocolate or vegan milk.
Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Or, store in fridge for 5 days.
Freeze for up to 1 month.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. This bread freezes well. Thaw fully before eating.
Use gluten free 1 to 1 flour to keep it gluten free.
Use a nut free milk to ensure this bread is nut free.
Yes, chocolate and pumpkin go very well together!
You May Also Like
- Pumpkin Banana Bread
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Cookies
- Vegan Pumpkin Muffins
- Healthy Pumpkin Cookies
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Muffins
If you make this vegan pumpkin bread recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Vegan Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Vegan Pumpkin Bread
- First, preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a bread pan (8 inch by 4 inch) with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, add pumpkin purée, melted coconut oil and milk. Stir to combine.
- Then, add in coconut sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. Stir to combine.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Add batter to the lined bread pan. Smooth out the top.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Finally, remove from oven. Allow bread to cool before slicing and serving.
- Use pumpkin purée, not pumpkin pie filling.
- Feel free to replace melted coconut oil with avocado oil. Substituting with applesauce will make this bread very dense.
- Any type of vegan milk works.
- Both coconut sugar and lightly packed brown sugar can be used.
- Both gluten free 1 to 1 flour and all purpose flour work well.
- Bake only until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Do not over bake!
- Allow bread to cool before slicing into.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Store in fridge for up to 5 days.
- This bread freezes well.
Love this vegan pumpkin bread? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!