Dairy Free Banana Bread
This dairy free banana bread recipe is soft, fluffy and delicious! It takes only 10 minutes of prep time. This quick and easy bread has the perfect flavor and texture. Great for a grab and go breakfast, afternoon snack or healthy dessert!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This dairy free banana bread is easy and healthy.
- It is naturally sweetened with ripe bananas and maple syrup or honey.
- This recipe is made in one mixing bowl.
- No dough chilling required.
- It is made without butter, without sour cream, without yogurt and without dairy.
- Only pantry staple ingredients needed.
- It is great for breakfast, snacks or even dessert.
- This recipe is gluten free friendly, dairy free, and refined sugar free.
- Use gluten free flour for gluten free.
- Check out this Sugar Free Banana Bread for another great dairy free recipe!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for dairy free banana bread. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Melted coconut oil acts as the baking fat. Coconut oil is a heart healthy fat. In addition, it is naturally dairy free. Feel free to substitute melted dairy free butter if desired.
Maple syrup adds a great natural sweetness. Substitute honey or date syrup if needed.
Use ripe bananas for best results. They are naturally sweet and easily mashed. Since this is banana bread, there are no substitutes.
Any type of dairy free milk works well. For nut free, use oat milk or coconut milk.
The eggs help hold the bread together. Eggs are not considered dairy. For egg free, check out this Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread.
A teaspoon of vanilla extract adds a warmth of flavor.
Use gluten free 1 to 1 flour or all purpose flour. Both work well. Alternative flours such as almond, coconut, cassava or oat cannot be perfectly substituted.
Baking soda leavens this bread.
Feel free to add in some dairy free chocolate chips. Enjoy Life brand makes great dairy free chocolate chips.
Scroll down to the Flavor Variations & Add Ins section for more fun flavor ideas.
Dairy Free Baking
Although dairy free baking has its challenges, it is fairly easy to do!
Dairy free baking involves finding substitutes for dairy filled ingredients. Double check recipes to be sure these substitutes can be made.
In many cases, coconut oil is a great replacement for butter. In addition, dairy free butter is another great option.
To replace milk, use dairy free milk. If a recipe calls for whole milk, use canned coconut milk. Otherwise, almond milk, cashew milk or oat milk are usually suitable.
Chocolate and chocolate chips are typically made with cow’s milk or cream. Thankfully there are many great dairy free alternatives available.
Taste & Texture
This dairy free banana bread tastes exactly like classic banana bread! Bananas are the most intense flavor, with the chocolate chips being second. This recipe is sweet but not overly sweet.
The texture is soft, fluffy and moist. Not dry or bland.
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a bread pan with parchment paper or generously spray with nonstick spray.
In a large mixing bowl, add melted coconut oil, maple syrup, mashed bananas, milk, eggs and vanilla. Stir to combine.
Then, add in flour and baking soda. Stir to combine.
Fold in chocolate chips if desired.
Spread batter into lined bread pan. If desired, sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top.
Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the bread comes out clean.
Finally, allow bread to fully cool in bread pan before slicing and serving.
Expert Tips & Tricks
For best results, use ripe bananas. Look for bananas that are brown spotted but not yet fully brown or black.
Line the bread pan with parchment paper. Alternatively, spray generously with nonstick spray.
Use gluten free 1 to 1 flour or all purpose flour. I do not recommend any alternative flours in this recipe.
Bake only until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. This banana bread bakes faster than traditional recipes. Mine was perfect at 48 minutes.
Flavor Variations & Add Ins
Consider switching up the flavors of this dairy free banana bread.
Use mini chocolate chips as seen in these photos.
Use chopped chocolate or chocolate chunks.
Add in dairy free white chocolate chips.
Add in dried cranberries.
Sprinkle in a dash of cinnamon or nutmeg.
Create a swirled effect by adding in some melted chocolate. See these Gluten Free Banana Muffins as an example.
Add in crushed Oreos. Surprisingly, Oreos are dairy free!
How to Serve & Store
Serve dairy free banana bread once fully cooled and sliced.
Serve for breakfast with bacon, eggs and fruit.
Or, serve by itself. It is a delicious afternoon snack with coffee or oat milk hot chocolate!
Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Freeze individual slices for up to 1 month. This bread thaws well.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, eggs are not considered dairy. For an egg free version, check out this Eggless Banana Bread.
Sure! Fill muffin cavities almost to the top. Then, bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 12 to 15 minutes.
For egg free and Vegan, check out this Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread.
You May Also Like
- Paleo Banana Bread
- Banana Oatmeal Cookies
- Almond Flour Banana Muffins
- Gluten Free Banana Cake
- Banana Protein Muffins
If you make this dairy free banana bread recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Dairy Free Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Dairy Free Banana Bread
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup, or honey
- 1 ¼ cups mashed bananas
- ¼ cup dairy free milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups flour, gluten free 1 to 1 or all purpose
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ⅔ cup dairy free chocolate chips, optional
- First, preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a bread loaf pan with parchment paper or generously spray with nonstick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, add melted coconut oil, maple syrup, mashed bananas, milk, eggs and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Then, add in flour and baking soda. Stir to combine.
- If using, fold in chocolate chips.
- Spread batter into the lined bread pan. If desired, sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the bread comes out clean.
- Finally, allow bread to fully cool in bread pan before slicing and serving.
- Use ripe bananas for best results. About 2 large bananas is sufficient.
- Replace melted dairy free butter for coconut oil if needed.
- Any dairy free milk works. For these photos, I used unsweetened almond milk.
- Both gluten free 1 to 1 flour and all purpose flour work well. I used gluten free 1 to 1.
- Bake only until toothpick inserted comes out clean. This recipe bakes faster than typical banana bread.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days at room temperature.
- Or, store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Bread freezes and thaws well. Slice into slices before freezing.
Love this gluten free dairy free banana bread? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!
5 Comments on “Dairy Free Banana Bread”
Could I use a chia egg substitute?(:
Hi Taylor! I have not tried an egg substitute in this recipe. I do recommend this vegan banana bread for egg free!
Ooh great! Thanks so much!!
This was very tasty! I added a little salt since I didn’t see it in the recipe and my husband and brother ate it like it was going outta style!
Hi Jem! I am so happy to hear that. Thank you for taking the time to write a comment!