Gluten Free Zucchini Bread
This gluten free zucchini bread is soft, fluffy, moist and loaded with chocolate chips! It is the best way to eat that healthy garden fresh vegetable. This dairy free quick bread requires only one mixing bowl and no mixer. It is delicious for a quick and easy breakfast, afternoon snack or healthier dessert!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This gluten free zucchini bread is easy to make.
- It requires only one mixing bowl and no mixer.
- This recipe is a great way to sneak in vegetables.
- This gluten free quick bread is great for any time of the day.
- Great way to use up zucchini from the garden.
- This recipe is gluten free, dairy free and nut free.
- Check out this Gluten Free Zucchini Banana Bread for another great recipe!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for gluten free zucchini bread. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Two eggs add the best texture to these muffins. I have not tried this recipe with a Vegan egg replacement or flax eggs. For egg free, check out these Vegan Zucchini Muffins for another great recipe!
Vanilla extract adds a great flavor.
Use avocado oil or another neutral oil. Lightly flavored olive oil is a great option. I have not tried this recipe with coconut oil.
A squeeze of lemon juice helps react with the baking soda. In addition, this creates risen bread.
Both brown sugar and granulated sugar both add sweetness.
Both baking powder and baking soda act as the leavening agents. This zucchini bread has a beautiful golden dome top!
Cinnamon and nutmeg add some warm to this quick bread!
Use gluten free 1 to 1 flour. If not gluten free, all purpose flour may be substituted. For a Paleo and grain free option, check out this Paleo Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread.
Grated zucchini adds nutrients, moisture and freshness. Do not squeeze out the liquid from the zucchini. In addition, do not peel zucchini before grating.
Dark chocolate chips adds the best part! Any chocolate chips work.
Baking with Zucchini
The end of summer means zucchini season! While there is nothing quite as good as garden fresh zucchini, zucchini is typically available year round. Any fresh zucchini works in this recipe.
Zucchini is a green vegetable with a mild flavor. It retains a ton of water! This can make baking with zucchini tricky.
Zucchini is similar to grated carrots or mashed bananas in baked goods. Not only does it add a ton of nutrients, but zucchini adds an incredible texture.
Many of my zucchini recipes call for grating zucchini then squeezing out as much of the moisture as possible. For this gluten free zucchini bread, do not squeeze out any liquid. This recipe relies on the grated zucchini for all the moisture.
The batter will feel very thick and dry before the grated zucchini is added.
Taste & Texture
This gluten free zucchini bread tastes like chocolate chip quick bread. It is very similar to banana bread without the taste of banana. The chocolate chips add a chocolaty flavor!
The texture is soft, fluffy and moist. It is not dry or bland.
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a bread pan with parchment paper that overhangs on the sides. Or, very generously spray with nonstick spray.
In a large mixing bowl, add eggs, vanilla, avocado oil and lemon juice. Stir to combine.
Add in all remaining ingredients except grated zucchini and chocolate chips. Stir until a very thick batter is formed. It will have a similar consistency to thick mashed potatoes.
Then, add in grated zucchini. Stir until combined. Batter will resemble a normal quick bread batter at this point.
Fold in dark chocolate chips.
Then, add batter to lined bread pan.
Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Finally, remove bread from oven. Allow it to cool for at least an hour before slicing and serving.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Use a lightly flavored oil. Both avocado oil and light olive oil work well.
Do not squeeze or wring out grated zucchini. This bread needs the moisture from the zucchini.
Try not to over bake. Insert toothpick into the middle of the bread. If it comes out clean, remove bread from oven.
Allow gluten free zucchini bread to cool before slicing and serving.
Variations & Add Ins
Consider adding these ingredients to the batter before baking.
White chocolate chips
Mini chocolate chips
How to Serve & Store
Serve gluten free zucchini bread once cool enough to slice. Pair with fresh fruit, bacon or sausage for a delicious breakfast. Add some butter, almond butter or peanut butter on top!
Serve with a glass of milk, hot chocolate or coffee. Either way, it is tasty!
Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Freeze for up to 1 month.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, there is no need to peel the zucchini. The skin adds nutrients and texture.
Yes! Freeze for up to 1 month if desired. Slice into individual slices before freezing.
Yes, this recipe is dairy free with the use of dairy free chocolate chips.
You May Also Like
- Gluten Free Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Paleo Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
- Paleo Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Muffins
If you make this gluten free zucchini bread recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Breakfast Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Gluten Free Zucchini Bread
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup avocado oil, or other neutral oil
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg, optional
- 1 ½ cups gluten free 1 to 1 flour
- 1 ¼ cups grated zucchini, do not squeeze out water
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a bread pan with parchment paper that overhangs on the sides. Or, very generously spray with nonstick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, add eggs, vanilla, avocado oil and lemon juice. Stir to combine.
- Add in all remaining ingredients except grated zucchini and chocolate chips. Stir until a very thick batter is formed. Note: it will have a similar consistency to thick mashed potatoes.
- Then, add in grated zucchini. Stir until combined. Batter will resemble a normal quick bread batter at this point.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Add batter to lined bread pan.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Finally, remove bread from oven. Allow it to cool for at least an hour before slicing and serving.
- Use avocado oil or another neutral flavored oil. Light olive oil may be used. I have not tried this with melted or liquid coconut oil.
- Do not squeeze out excess moisture from zucchini. This is very important! This bread relies heavily on the moisture from the zucchini.
- Before mixing in the grated zucchini, the bread batter will be very thick and difficult to mix.
- After the zucchini is added in, the moisture from the zucchini makes the batter much more moist and easier to stir.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
- This bread is best when you let it cool before slicing and serving.
- Store covered at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Freeze for up to 1 month if desired.
Love this gluten free zucchini bread? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!