Sugar Free Banana Bread
This sugar free banana bread is soft, fluffy and so moist! This quick and easy recipe is great for a healthy breakfast or snack. It contains no sugar, no added sugar and no artificial sweeteners. The only sweetness comes naturally from bananas. It has the perfect texture and flavor!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This sugar free banana bread is quick and easy.
- Everything is made in one mixing bowl.
- There is no granulated sugar, no brown sugar, no maple syrup and no honey.
- There are no added sugars or sweeteners.
- It tastes similar to a healthy banana cake recipe with no sugar!
- This recipe is made without erythritol, Splenda, monk fruit or any other sugar free sugar alternative.
- It is gluten free, dairy free, sugar free and can be easily made nut free.
- Feel free to customize this loaf with chocolate chips, walnuts or something else.
- Check out this Paleo Chocolate Chip Banana Bread for another delicious idea.
- For a slightly sweeter option, check out this Dairy Free Banana Bread sweetened with maple syrup.
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for sugar free banana bread. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Bananas add the natural sweetness. In addition, they add a great moist texture. Fold in thinly sliced bananas to the batter for the best texture. For best results, use brown spotted ripe bananas.
Melted coconut oil adds some heart healthy fats. Additionally, it adds moisture. Substitute melted butter if needed.
Use any type of milk. For dairy free and nut free banana bread, use coconut milk. Regular milk works too.
The eggs help bind this bread together. I do not recommend using an egg replacement or Vegan eggs. For egg free banana bread, check out this Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread for another delicious idea.
A little vanilla extract adds a great homemade flavor.
Both gluten free 1 to 1 flour and all purpose flour work well. I do not recommend using another flour such as almond, coconut or cassava for this recipe.
Baking soda helps this sugar free banana bread rise slightly.
Cinnamon adds a great warm spice flavor. Although cinnamon itself is not sweet, it adds a very slight hint of sweetness in this low sugar banana cake bread.
Sugar Free Baking
Sugar free baking is great for those trying to limit their sugar intake.
Since sugar is such a common baking ingredient, it can be tough to bake without it.
Granulated sugar adds both sweetness and a dry ingredient to desserts. This must be accounted for when taken out.
This low sugar banana bread is naturally sweetened with ripe bananas.
Taste & Texture
This gluten free sugar free banana bread tastes like a less sweet version of banana bread. The bread itself is not savory, but may taste savory if you are used to sweetened banana bread. The only added sweetness comes from the bananas.
The texture is soft, fluffy and moist. In addition, this bread is slightly more dense. The thinly sliced bananas add so much moisture.
How to Make
First, preheat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line an 8 inch by 5 inch loaf pan with parchment pan.
In a mixing bowl, add mashed bananas, melted coconut oil, milk, eggs and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
Then, add in flour, baking soda and cinnamon. Stir to combine.
Gently fold in thinly sliced bananas. Mixture will be thick.
Add bread batter to the lined bread pan.
Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Finally, remove from oven. Allow the sugar free banana bread to cool for at least 1 hour before slicing and serving.
Expert Tips & Tricks
For best results, use ripe bananas. Brown spotted bananas are best.
I do not recommend trying to use frozen bananas. Even when thawed, they are too moist and too mushy.
Both melted coconut oil and melted butter can be used.
Gluten free 1 to 1 flour and all purpose flour work well.
Add in thinly sliced bananas to the bread batter for extra moisture. Do not skip this step!
If possible, use an 8 inch by 5 inch bread pan. A 9 by 5 can be used, but the bread will not rise as much.
Bake healthy banana loaf until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Do not over bake.
Allow sugar free banana bread bread to cool at least 1 hour before slicing and serving. This allows the banana bread to slightly firm up.
Flavor Variations & Add Ins
Consider adding these ingredients to the sugar free banana bread batter.
Sugar free chocolate chips
Add oats on top
Dash of nutmeg
How to Serve & Store
Serve sugar free banana bread with fresh fruit, eggs or bacon for breakfast.
For a snack, top with peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter or butter.
It is delicious with milk, coffee or even hot chocolate.
Store leftovers covered at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Freeze this no sugar banana bread loaf for up to 2 months.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Make the batter the same way. Line muffin pan with paper liners. Then bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Yes, you can make banana bread without sugar. This recipe is great!
Sure! I suggest reducing the melted coconut oil and milk to only ⅓ cup. Then, add in ⅓ cup maple syrup or honey. So, you would have ⅓ cup each of melted coconut oil, milk and maple syrup.
This tastes like a less sweet version of classic banana bread.
This healthy banana loaf bread recipe is only sweetened with ripe bananas. It is much less sweet than typical banana breads, but it is not savory. It has a delicious natural sweetness.
You May Also Like
- Banana Oatmeal Cookies
- Almond Flour Banana Muffins
- Gluten Free Banana Cake
- Banana Protein Muffins
- Cassava Flour Banana Bread
If you make this sugar free banana bread recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Breakfast Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Sugar Free Banana Bread
- 1 cup mashed bananas, about 2 large bananas
- ½ cup melted coconut oil, or butter
- ½ cup almond milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups gluten free 1 to 1 flour, or all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup thinly sliced bananas
- First, preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line an 8 inch by 5 inch loaf pan with parchment pan.
- In a mixing bowl, add mashed bananas, melted coconut oil, almond milk, eggs and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Then, add in flour, baking soda and cinnamon. Stir to combine.
- Gently fold in thinly sliced bananas.
- Add batter to the lined bread pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Finally, remove from oven. Allow bread to cool for 1 hour before slicing and serving.
- Use ripe, spotted brown bananas for best results.
- Both melted coconut oil and melted butter can be used.
- Gluten free 1 to 1 flour and all purpose flour both work well.
- Feel free to use any type of milk.
- The thinly sliced bananas add so much moisture to this bread! I do not recommend skipping this ingredient.
- Feel free to add in chocolate chips, walnuts, or any other add in.
- Banana bread is done baking when toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. My oven baked it in 45 minutes.
- Please note, if you use a 9 inch by 5 inch bread pan, the bread won’t be nearly as tall.
- Allow bread to cool slightly before slicing and serving.
Love this sugar free banana bread? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!
20 Comments on “Sugar Free Banana Bread”
Can I use regular milk instead of almond milk and instead of coconut oil can I use butter?
Yes and yes! Use melted butter. Enjoy!
Just made this yesterday and it was excellent, the very best banana bread I have ever had, everyone loved it! Thank you so much for sharing it!!!!
What a huge compliment, Laura! I am so happy you really enjoyed this sugar free banana bread. Thank you for commenting and rating. I really appreciate it!
That was delicious! I used applesauce instead of butter because I was out, turned out perfect! Loved that there was no sugar added! Thank you!!!
Hi Lisa! I am so thrilled you loved this banana bread. Definitely a great no added sugar option. I bet the applesauce added a great flavor!
Would this freeze and thaw nicely?
Hi! I have frozen and thawed this before. The texture is a little more dense but overall the taste was great!
This bread is delicious – light and true banana flavor. Very easy. I will be toasting this for breakfast or later with yogurt for a shortcake!
Hi Georgia! I am so glad you enjoyed this recipe. Sounds delicious toasted!
love it. Try to make it too
Can I use almond or oat flour instead of glitter free flour?
Hi Natalie! I’d recommend trying this Paleo banana bread which uses almond flour. You can leave out the coconut sugar for a sugar free option. Hope you love it!
Very nice banana loaf recipe indeed. I am saving this recipe.
Hi Ramona! I am so happy you enjoyed this banana bread recipe. Thank you for the review and comment!
I baked it for 60 mins but the bottom is kind of sticky. A skewer came out clean with a bit of stickiness. How can I be sure it’s fully cooked through? I’m new to GF baking. Thanks!
Hi Queenie! I would insert a longer toothpick or even a knife into the middle of the bread. If you insert it all the way to the bottom of the bread, you should be able to tell if it’s baked all the way through. Thanks for being here and welcome to gluten free baking!
Thank you for the no added sugar recipe. I am cutting it out of my diet. This baked wonderfully moist
I love this sugar-free banana bread! The added vanilla gives such an incredible taste alongside with the bananas! So good! Thanks for the recipe!
Such a moist banana bread and I especially loved that the recipe is sugar free! Love having a dessert with less guilt!