Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
This Vegan chocolate chip banana bread has the best soft and fluffy texture! It has a strong banana flavor with an abundance of chocolate chips. This gluten free and Vegan bread is great for breakfast, a snack, or even dessert.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This Vegan chocolate chip banana bread is easy to make.
- It is made in one mixing bowl.
- This gluten free bread is soft, fluffy and naturally sweetened.
- In addition, this Vegan banana bread is moist and not dry!
- There are no egg substitutions needed.
- For a healthy option, try this Healthy Banana Bread .
- This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, Vegan, and refined sugar free. It can be easily made nut free with oat milk, coconut milk, or soy milk.
- Check out these Vegan Chocolate Chip Muffins for another great idea!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for Vegan chocolate chip banana bread. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Use ripe bananas for best result. Look for bananas that are lightly spotted brown.
Melted coconut oil acts as the baking fat. Use refined coconut oil for a neutral flavor. Unrefined coconut oil has a slight coconut flavor.
Any type of milk works. Use nut free milk to keep this recipe nut free.
A little vanilla extract adds a great flavor.
Coconut sugar sweetens this bread. Lightly packed brown sugar can be used as well. For a completely sugar free version, check out this Sugar Free Banana Bread.
Both gluten free 1 to 1 flour and all purpose flour can be used. I do not recommend using another flour. Almond flour, coconut flour, cassava flour, and oat flour will alter the texture too much.
Baking soda helps the bread rise.
A pinch of sea salt adds a great salty flavor. When paired with the chocolate chips, it adds a little something extra. Omit if desired.
Use Vegan chocolate chips. My favorite brand is Enjoy Life.
Taste & Texture
This Vegan chocolate chip banana bread tastes like classic banana bread. It has the perfect amount of banana flavor and it is not artificially sweet. In addition, the dark chocolate chips bring a great chocolate flavor.
The texture of this bread is soft and fluffy. It is moist, not dry.
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a bread pan with parchment paper and spray with nonstick spray.
In a large mixing bowl, add mashed bananas, melted coconut oil, milk, vanilla extract and coconut sugar. Stir to combine.
Once combined, add in gluten free flour, baking soda and sea salt. Stir to combine. This batter is pretty thick.
Next, fold in dark chocolate chips.
Use a large spoon to transfer batter into lined bread pan. Dot with extra chocolate chips on top if desired.
Bake for 38 to 42 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Finally, remove from oven. Allow bread to cool for 1 hour before carefully slicing and serving.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Use ripe bananas for best results.
The banana bread batter will be thick. This is normal for this recipe!
Do not skimp on the chocolate chips. Add a few extra on top of the loaf before baking.
Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Do not over bake.
If the banana bread becomes too brown on top, add a tent of tin foil on top. Then, continue baking. This did not happen to me, but all ovens are different.
Allow the Vegan chocolate chip banana bread to cool for at least 1 hour before slicing into. It is warm and fragile straight from the oven.
Variations & Add Ins
While this Vegan chocolate chip banana bread is great as is, consider these add ins. Add these ingredients to the batter before baking.
Dash of cinnamon
Handful of blueberries
How to Serve & Store
Serve chocolate chip Vegan banana bread once it is cool enough to slice and serve. It pairs well with a glass of almond milk! Smear on peanut butter or almond butter for some extra deliciousness.
Store leftovers at room temperature for up to 3 days.
This bread freezes well!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! This eggless banana bread tastes like normal banana bread. You would never know it is egg free.
My favorite Vegan chocolate chips are Enjoy Life.
Insert a toothpick into the middle of the loaf. If it comes out clean, the bread is done. If it comes out with gooey batter on it, the bread still needs more time.
Yes! Use all purpose flour if desired.
You May Also Like
If you make this Vegan chocolate chip banana bread recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Vegan Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 1 ¼ cups mashed banana, about 2 large bananas
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
- 3 tbsp milk of choice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 ¾ cups gluten free 1 to 1 flour, or all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch sea salt
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a bread pan with parchment paper and spray with nonstick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, add mashed bananas, melted coconut oil, milk, vanilla extract and coconut sugar. Stir to combine.
- Once combined, add in gluten free flour, baking soda and sea salt. Stir to combine. Batter will be pretty thick.
- Fold in dark chocolate chips.
- Use large spoon to transfer batter into lined bread pan. Dot with extra chocolate chips on top if desired.
- Bake for 38 to 42 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Finally, remove from oven. Allow bread to cool for 1 hour before carefully slicing and serving.
- Use ripe bananas for best results.
- Both gluten free 1 to 1 flour and all purpose flour can be used.
- Any type of milk works. I used almond milk.
- The banana bread batter will be thick. Its consistency is thicker than cake batter but not quite as thick as cookie dough.
- Bake until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- If the banana bread starts to brown on top too much, tent with aluminum foil and continue baking.
- Allow the bread to cool for 1 hour before slicing and serving.
- Store leftovers covered at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freeze individual slices for up to 1 month.
Love this Vegan chocolate chip banana bread? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!
17 Comments on “Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread”
Can I use canned coconut milk as a substitute?
Sure! It may be a little more dense. Feel free to add a drop of water if the dough is way too thick. Enjoy!
Can you make this recipe into muffins?
I have not tried that, but it should work! I would try them for 13 to 15 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Use the same recipe!
Baking powder is not a part of ingredients?
No, but there is baking soda in this recipe. Hope you enjoy it!
Love this recipe….it is now my go to recipe for banana bread! Comes together easily and it’s delicious!
I love a go to recipe! Glad you enjoyed this banana bread, Ann!
Love this recipe… It is now my go to recipe for banana bread! Makes up easily and it’s delicious! Highly recommend this recipe!
So I used 1 cup regular flour and 3/4 cup almond flour. It is delicious!! It is a bit softer than you would think of for a “bread” using the almond flour but boy is it delicious!! Loved it ! Next time I will try with the GF sub but this way was yummy ! I saw your note about no almond flour after I made the batter!
pinned this yummy banana bread recipe!
You can never go wrong with banana bread, and I love that this is vegan. The chocolate chips truly pop in the photos!
This banana bread looks amazing. So fluffy!! We planned on making banana bread today and will be trying this recipe!
This vegan chocolate chip banana bread is the best banana bread I have tried! It is so easy to make and delicious. Definitely making it again!
This looks great! Could this recipe be used for muffins? If so, any suggestions for where to start with bake times?
Oh my gosh, this vegan banana bread looks so moist & scrumptious, and those chocolate chips . . . yes please! Can’t wait to give this a try. Thank you for sharing!
I can’t believe how moist and delicious this vegan banana bread is! Definitely a keeper!