Healthy Zucchini Bread
This healthy zucchini bread is soft, fluffy, and so flavorful! This recipe is the perfect way to use up garden fresh zucchini. It is made with wholesome and nutritious ingredients but tastes like the classic recipe. The zucchini adds the perfect amount of moisture, while the chocolate chips add a touch of sweetness. Everyone loves this quick and easy zucchini bread!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This healthy zucchini bread is quick and easy to make.
- Everything is mixed together in one bowl.
- I also love this Healthy Pumpkin Bread and this Gluten Free Bread!
- My mom and I grow zucchini in our home garden every summer. This is our favorite way to use it!
- Great way to sneak in extra veggies to your diet.
- Only a handful of pantry staple ingredients are required.
- This recipe is made with healthy and nutritious ingredients.
- It uses no white flour and no refined sugars.
- Despite being a healthier version, this zucchini bread does not compromise on taste or texture.
- The grated zucchini adds vitamins, antioxidants, and moisture.
- This quick bread recipe is customizable! Feel free to add in some dried cranberries, walnuts, pecans, raisins, or another mix in.
- Great for breakfast, brunch, snacks, and desserts.
- This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, nut free, and refined sugar free as written.
- Check out this Gluten Free Zucchini Bread for another favorite!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for healthy zucchini bread. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Finely grate the zucchini. Then, use paper towels to squeeze out the excess moisture from the zucchini. I use unpeeled zucchini. There is no need to peel the zucchini before grating it.
Use gluten free 1 to 1 flour. Paleo baking flour blends also work well! Do not directly replace with oat flour or almond flour. For another version, make this Almond Flour Zucchini Bread!
A little sea salt adds a touch of flavor.
Baking soda helps leaven this bread.
Add in a pinch of cinnamon for a cozy flavor!
Coconut sugar is a popular Paleo sugar alternative. This natural sweetener adds a great flavor. If needed, substitute with maple sugar (not maple syrup) or brown sugar.
Melted coconut oil adds moisture. Use refined coconut oil for a neutral flavor. Unrefined coconut oil has a slight flavor. If needed, use melted butter instead.
Two eggs help bind the batter together. For this specific recipe, do not substitute the eggs. If you are vegan or egg free, try these Vegan Zucchini Muffins!
Vanilla extract adds a warm and cozy flavor.
Lastly, mini dark chocolate chips add chocolate to every bite! Feel free to use any type of chocolate chips. I love the mini dark ones for added chocolate flavor.
What is Zucchini Bread?
Zucchini bread is a delightful baked treat that features grated zucchini as a key ingredient!
It falls under the quick bread category, where leavening agents like baking powder or baking soda are used instead of yeast.
The grated zucchini not only contributes to the moistness but adds a subtle earthy flavor. This makes it a unique and enjoyable snack or dessert option!
Although zucchini is a green vegetable, this quick bread does not taste like veggies. Instead, it has a warm and comforting flavor. It has a similar flavor to carrot cake.
Taste & Texture
This healthy zucchini bread is naturally sweet with a touch of cinnamon. It does not taste like zucchini or vegetables. The chocolate adds a great flavor as well!
This chocolate chip zucchini bread is soft, fluffy, and moist. The grated zucchini adds moisture.
How to Make
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a bread pan with parchment paper.
Grate the unpeeled zucchini. Once grated, squeeze out the excess moisture with paper towels. Then, measure out the 1 ½ cups. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the gluten free flour, sea salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and coconut sugar. Stir together.
Then, add in the grated zucchini, melted coconut oil, eggs, and vanilla. Stir together.
Fold in the chocolate chips.
Transfer the batter to the lined bread pan. Smooth into an even layer. Dot with a few chocolate chips on top.
Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Finally, remove the healthy zucchini bread from the oven. Fully cool before slicing into.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Finely grate the zucchini. Then, use paper towels or a cheesecloth to squeeze out all excess moisture. This is vital in achieving the correct consistency.
Dot the bread with some extra chocolate chips before baking.
Since all ovens are different, check the bread after 40 minutes. Then, add more baking time as needed.
To test doneness, insert a toothpick into the bread. If it comes out clean, the bread is dine.
Allow the healthy zucchini bread to cool completely before slicing to achieve clean cuts.
Health Benefits of Zucchini
Zucchini has many health benefits!
It is rich in vitamins A and C, potassium, and antioxidants.
In addition, zucchini promotes eye health, boosts the immune system, and helps in maintaining healthy blood pressure levels.
Furthermore, zucchini is low in calories and high in fiber, aiding in digestion.
How to Serve & Store
To serve, simply slice the healthy zucchini bread into thick pieces. Enjoy it by itself or pair it with a cup of tea, coffee, or a glass of milk.
For storing, place it in an airtight container and keep it at room temperature for up to 3 days.
If you wish to extend its shelf life, store it in the refrigerator for up to a week, or freeze slices individually for up to 2 months.
Flavor Variations & Add Ins
Here are some fun ways to switch up the flavors of your healthy zucchini bread!
Add in chopped nuts for an extra crunch. Walnuts and pecans are great options.
Add in some dried fruits for natural sweetness. Raisins and dried cranberries work well.
Feel free to add in regular chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, or chocolate chunks. These add even more indulgence.
Frequently Asked Questions
Zucchini has many health benefits! It is a low calorie vegetable packed with vitamins, minerals, and dietary fiber. Additionally, the high content of antioxidants in zucchini may help reduce inflammation and promote overall heart health.
There is no need to peel the zucchini before shredding.
Sure! Spray a muffin pan heavily with nonstick spray. Prepare the recipe as written. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 to 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Use a grater to finely grate the zucchini. Then, use paper towels to squeeze out the excess moisture.
Zucchini is in season from May to August.
Grater: Use a grater to finely grate the zucchini.
Pre-Cut Parchment Paper Sheets: These parchment paper sheets are great for lining pans.
Pyrex 3 Glass Mixing Bowls: These are my favorite mixing bowls! They are easy to clean and sturdy.
Pyrex Glass Measuring Cups: I love these heavy duty glass measuring cups.
Bread Pan: I use this bread pan every time I bake this healthy zucchini bread!
Check out all of my kitchen favorites!
You May Also Like
- Healthy Brownies
- Paleo Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Healthy Banana Bread
If you make this healthy zucchini bread recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Join my exclusive Facebook Group for a behind the scenes look. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Breakfast Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Healthy Zucchini Bread
- First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a bread loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Grate the unpeeled zucchini. Once grated, squeeze out the excess moisture with paper towels. Then, measure out the 1 ½ cups. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the gluten free flour, sea salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and coconut sugar. Stir to combine.
- Then, add in the grated zucchini, melted coconut oil, eggs, and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the batter to the lined bread pan. Smooth out the top with a spatula. Dot with a few chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Finally, remove the healthy zucchini bread from the oven. Fully cool before slicing into.
- This bread can also be made with Paleo baking flour. Use the same amount.
- Be sure to squeeze out all the excess moisture from the zucchini. Use paper towels or a cheesecloth to do this.
- Coconut sugar is my favorite healthier sugar alternative. If needed, substitute with lightly packed brown sugar.
- Melted coconut oil can be replaced by melted butter if needed.
- All ovens are different. Your bread might need slightly more or less time.
- Allow the bread to fully cool before slicing and serving.
Love this healthy zucchini bread? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!