Gluten Free Lemon Bars
These gluten free lemon bars are fresh, sweet, and so delicious! This recipe features a buttery shortbread crust and creamy lemon filling. The flavors are the perfect balance between tart and sweet. Perfect for spring and summer!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These gluten free lemon bars are made with pantry staples.
- They are made with only 6 main ingredients.
- The powdered sugar garnish makes them stunning!
- They have a great balance between sweet and tart.
- The shortbread layer is buttery and delicious.
- The lemon filling is fresh and creamy.
- This recipe is gluten free and nut free.
- Check out these Paleo Lemon Bars for a Paleo and grain free version!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for gluten free lemon bars. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Melted butter adds the buttery flavor to the crust. I have not tried this recipe using dairy free butter, but that should work.
Gluten free 1 to 1 flour is the base of the shortbread crust. In addition, it helps slightly thicken the lemon filling. Do not substitute another gluten free flour alternative.
Granulated sugar sweetens both layers. I do not recommend substituting brown sugar or coconut sugar. These options will darken the color and alter the flavor.
A little vanilla extract adds a great flavor to the bottom layer.
Three eggs contribute to the filling. There is absolutely no substitute for eggs in this recipe.
Freshly squeezed lemon juice adds the lemon flavor. For best results, use freshly squeezed. If not, store bought works fine too.
For a beautiful garnish, use powdered sugar. Or, consider using some Candied Lemon Slices for another gorgeous topping.
Taste & Texture
These gluten free lemon bars are sweet, slightly tart and very lemony. They have a great mix of sweetness and tartness. The shortbread crust is buttery.
The crust is just firm enough. In addition, the lemon filling is smooth and creamy.
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line an 8 inch square pan with parchment paper.
First make shortbread crust. In a mixing bowl, add melted butter, gluten free flour, sugar and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
Once combined, press this shortbread mixture down into the lined pan. Bake the crust for 20 minutes.
As soon as the crust comes out of the oven, lightly pierce holes all over. Do not press all the way down, just slightly.
Next, make the filling. Add sifted flour to a mixing bowl. Then, add in all remaining filling ingredients except powdered sugar. Stir until the sugar has completely dissolved and no clumps of flour remain.
Pour this lemon filling mixture down over warm crust.
Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until the middle is set.
Finally, remove gluten free lemon squares from oven. Allow the bars to fully cool before topping with powdered sugar. Then, slice and serve.
Expert Tips & Tricks
For thicker layers, use an 8 inch square pan. This will yield thicker layers than a 9 inch square pan.
Line pan with parchment paper. This is vital! This really helps remove the bars from the pan.
Press crust batter into an equal layer in the lined pan.
Sift flour for the filling mixture. Clumps of flour will not taste good!
Mix filling until sugar has dissolved completely.
For best results, use freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Once crust has baked, lightly poke holes in it with a fork.
Bake gluten free lemon squares until the middle is set.
Allow gluten free lemon bars to cool completely before garnishing with powdered sugar and slicing into.
How to Serve & Store
Serve gluten free lemon bars once fully cooled.
They pair well with a glass of milk, lemonade or even smoothie. Try these Lemon Ricotta Cookies too!
Store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, typically lemon bars contain gluten. This recipe is gluten free.
Yes, but the texture may change slightly. These bars are meant to be eaten at room temperature or chilled, but not frozen. Thaw before eating.
The filling tastes similar to a lemon curd.
Use dairy free butter in the crust for dairy free.
You May Also Like
- Gluten Free Lemon Cookies
- Vegan Lemon Cookies
- Lemon Blueberry Cookies
- Paleo Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- Lime Juice Recipe
If you make this gluten free lemon bars recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Dessert Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Gluten Free Lemon Bars
- ¼ cup gluten free 1 to 1 flour, sifted
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- powdered sugar, optional garnish
- First, preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line an 8 inch square pan with parchment paper.
- First make shortbread crust. In a mixing bowl, add melted butter, gluten free flour, sugar and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
- Once combined, press this shortbread mixture down into the lined pan. Bake the crust for 20 minutes.
- As soon as the crust comes out of the oven, lightly pierce holes all over. Do not press all the way down, just slightly.
- Next, make the filling. Add sifted flour to a mixing bowl. Then, add in all remaining filling ingredients except powdered sugar. Stir until sugar has completely dissolved and no clumps of flour remain.
- Pour this lemon filling mixture down over warm crust.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until the middle is set.
- Finally, remove from oven. Allow bars to fully cool before topping with powdered sugar. Slice and serve.
- I recommend an 8 inch baking pan for this recipe. It makes both layers a little more thick than a 9 inch square pan. If using 9 inch, the layers will be slightly less thick.
- Line with parchment paper. This helps remove the bars from the pan once cooled.
- Pierce the crust with fork allows lightly. Do not push all the way through.
- For best flavor, use freshly squeezed lemon juice. About 2 large lemons is sufficient.
- Bake until middle is no longer jiggly.
- Allow bars to fully cool before garnishing with powdered sugar.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Love these gluten free lemon bars? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!