Lemon Blueberry Cookies
These lemon blueberry cookies are light, fresh, sweet and soft! Lemon and blueberry are the perfect pairing. These cookies take less than 20 minutes from start to finish. They are great for Easter, Mother’s Day, rainy days and birthdays!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These lemon blueberry cookies are quick, easy and delicious.
- They are made with only pantry staples.
- The lemon and blueberry add a little nutritional punch to these cookies.
- They take only 20 minutes from start to finish.
- No dough chilling required.
- They are both sweet and tart.
- Both gluten free 1 to 1 flour and all purpose flour work well.
- As written, these cookies are gluten free, nut free and oil free.
- Check out these Blueberry Cheesecake Cookies or these Blueberry Cookies which are similar!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for lemon blueberry cookies. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Use cold butter right from the fridge. This allows the cookies to hold their shape while baking. Moreover, the cookies will not spread too thin. Cream butter and sugars until no clumps of butter remain.
Both granulated sugar and light brown sugar add the sweetness. I have not tried this recipe using coconut sugar or a low carb sweetener.
The egg helps bind these cookies together. For an eggless version, substitute this 1 egg with ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce. For more egg free baking tips, check out these Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Vanilla extract adds a great classic cookie flavor.
Both gluten free 1 to 1 flour and all purpose flour work. For this recipe, I used gluten free flour. I do not recommend trying almond flour, oat flour, or coconut flour. These flours will yield very different results.
Baking soda leavens these cookies.
Both lemon juice and lemon zest provide the fresh lemon flavor! If you do not have a fresh lemon, a pinch of lemon extract can be used.
Fresh blueberries provide a burst of flavor. Use smaller blueberries if possible. Be very careful folding in berries to prevent breakage. For a blueberry free version, check out these Gluten Free Lemon Cookies.
Taste & Texture
These lemon blueberry cookies taste like a lemon sugar cookie with fresh blueberries throughout. They are sweet, light and very slightly tart.
These cookies are thick, soft baked and melt in your mouth delicious! They are not dry, bland, crispy or thin.
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, add cold butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar. Beat for 2 to 3 minutes or until no clumps of butter remain.
Add in egg and vanilla extract. Stir until combined.
Then, add in flour, baking soda, lemon juice and lemon zest. Stir until a thick dough is formed.
Carefully fold in blueberries.
Use an ice cream scoop to scoop balls of dough onto lined pan.
Bake for 9 to 10 minutes or until middles of cookies are just barely set.
Finally, remove from oven and serve!
Expert Tips & Tricks
For best results, follow this recipe exactly as written.
Use cold butter straight from the fridge. This prevents the cookies from spreading too thin in the oven.
Beat butter and sugars until the butter is completely creamed. Beat until no clumps of butter remain. See photos above for reference.
Very carefully fold blueberries into batter. Try not to break berries.
This recipe makes 8 large cookies or 10 regular sized cookies. For the larger blueberry lemon cookies, use an ice cream scoop to scoop balls of cookie dough.
Make balls of cookie dough the same size to ensure even baking.
Bake until cookies are very very slightly golden around their edges. The middles of cookies should look a little doughy but set.
Allow lemon blueberry cookies to cool on pan for 10 minutes. Then, carefully remove to a wire rack.
How to Serve & Store
Serve blueberry lemon cookies once cool enough to handle. They are gooey!
Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
These cookies freeze well.
Frequently Asked Questions
I do not recommend frozen blueberries. If that is all you have, thaw blueberries. Then squeeze out all excess moisture from berries. Fold into batter. Please note, the cookie dough may need a little more flour. It will also turn blue or purple!
Yes! Make these these Blueberry Cheesecake Cookies which are very similar.
You May Also Like
- Raspberry Cheesecake Cookies
- Small Batch Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Levain Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Strawberry Cheesecake Cookies
If you make this lemon blueberry cookie recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Dessert Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Lemon Blueberry Cookies
- First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add cold butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar. Beat for 2 to 3 minutes or until no clumps of butter remain.
- Add in egg and vanilla extract. Stir until combined.
- Then, add in flour, baking soda, lemon juice and lemon zest. Stir until a thick dough is formed.
- Carefully fold in blueberries.
- Use ice cream scoop to scoop balls of dough onto lined pan.
- Bake for 9 to 10 minutes or until middles of cookies are just barely set.
- Finally, remove from oven and serve!
- This recipe makes 8 large cookies or 10 medium cookies.
- Use a regular sized ice cream scoop to make large cookies.
- Use cold butter straight from the fridge. This helps the cookies not spread too much while baking.
- Both gluten free 1 to 1 flour and regular all purpose flour work.
- Carefully fold in blueberries to not break them.
- Bake cookies until edges are very slightly golden and the middles are barely set.
- Allow cookies to cool on pan for 10 minutes before carefully transferring to cooling rack.
- Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- These cookies freeze well!
Love these lemon blueberry cookies? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!