Lime Juice Recipe (Limeade)
This homemade lime juice recipe is easy, so refreshing and way better than store bought juice. It is quick and easy to make and the perfect summertime drink! This homemade limeade is made with only two main ingredients and can be as sweet or as tart as you like!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This lime juice recipe is way more tasty than store bought.
- It is made with only 2 main ingredients.
- Add a slice of lemon for a lemon limeade.
- This refreshing drink is perfect for warm summer days.
- It is made without artificial preservatives and without fat.
- This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, nut free, oil free, and Vegan.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Fresh limes are best for this juice! They are packed with bold flavor and the most juice. If needed, bottled lime juice can be used.
Ice cold water yields a super refreshing juice.
A little granulated sugar goes a long way! Limes are naturally tart and sour, so a little sugar balances that out. If Paleo or refined sugar free, stir in a little honey instead of sugar.
What is Lime Juice?
Lime juice is made from freshly squeezed limes. This drink can be sweetened or unsweetened. In addition, lime juice is key in making limeade.
Lime juice is commonly added to margaritas, cocktails and drinks. It is slightly sour, a little tart, and so flavorful.
Lime Juice Benefits
Limes are oftentimes referred to as nutritional powerhouses. They are high in Vitamin C and contain only 20 calories per lime. In addition, they are a great source of antioxidants.
Since limes are so high in Vitamin C, they potentially boost your immune system.
What is Limeade?
Limeade is a refreshing drink made from lime juice. It is typically sweetened with sugar. Since it is so quick and easy to make, it has become a popular summer drink.
In this recipe, only limes, water and sugar are used.
How to Make
First, roll each lime between hands to slightly soften it.
Slice each lime in half. Use juicer or hands to squeeze out all lime juice into a large cup or bowl.
Then, add water to pitcher. Stir in lime juice and stir to combine.
Taste juice and add granulated sugar for a sweeter juice. Add more water for a less concentrated juice.
Finally, pour into glasses with ice and garnish with sliced lime if desired.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Fresh limes are much more flavorful than bottled lime juice.
Roll limes between hands before juicing to loosen them up.
Taste juice and adjust sugar to suit your taste.
How to Serve & Store
Serve this lime juice with ice! It is great when fresh. Lime juice is commonly used in margaritas and other cocktails.
Store limeade in fridge for up to 4 days. Stir before drinking.
How to Juice A Lime
You can juice a lime with a juicer and without a juicer.
Without a juicer, cut limes in half. Squeeze lime juice into a bowl or large cup.
With a juicer, place halved lime with the skin facing up. Shut juicer and squeeze until juice comes out!
Substitute for Lime Juice
There are several substitutes for lime juice based on your needs.
In baked goods and some cocktails, lemon juice can be used. This is a one to one replacement. Use the same amount of lemon juice that the recipe calls for lime juice.
If you have a lime but not enough juice for the recipe, use lime zest. Zesting a lime creates a concentrated and bold lime flavor! If the recipe calls for 1 teaspoon of lime juice, use around 1/4 teaspoon to 1/2 teaspoon of lime zest.
Lastly, orange juice can be used. Orange juice obviously has a different flavor, but it provides some sweetness and tartness.
How Much Lime Juice in One Lime
Depending on the size and freshness of a lime, it produces approximately 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice.
To allow for some error, this recipe calls for 6 limes which should be plenty for 1/2 cup lime juice.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, definitely. Add lemon juice to suit your taste.
Granulated sugar is the best sweetener for this recipe. A drizzle of honey can be mixed in if desired.
There should not be any pulp in this lime juice. After it refrigerates for a day or two, the lime juice settles towards the bottom. Shake or stir before use.
You May Also Like
Get the Recipe: Lime Juice Recipe (Limeade)
- 6 limes, about ½ cup lime juice
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar, optional
- First, roll each lime between hands so they are less firm and more juicy.
- Slice each lime in half. Either use a juicer or use your hands to squeeze out all lime juice into a bowl or large cup.
- After limes have been juiced, pour cold water into pitcher. Stir in lime juice and stir to combine.
- Taste juice and add granulated sugar if desired.
- Finally, pour into cups with ice and garnish with sliced limes if desired.
- Each serving is approximately 1 cup of limeade.
- Roll limes between hands to loosen them up. This makes them much easier to juice.
- If you don’t have a juicer, squeeze out juice with hands.
- The 6 limes produce approximately ½ cup of lime juice. It might be more than ½ cup so adjust water accordingly.
- Bottled lime juice can be used in place of limes but might not taste as fresh.
- This limeade is tart and sour without the granulated sugar. Taste and add more sugar for a sweeter taste or more water for a more subtle taste.
- Store limeade in fridge for up to 5 days. Stir before drinking.
Love this lime juice recipe? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!