Paleo Lemon Bars
These Paleo Lemon Bars are one of my favorite things about springtime! Don’t get me wrong – I absolutely love the warm and cozy winter recipes but there’s something refreshing and hopeful about spring desserts. I’m a chocolate girl through and through, but lemon is one of my other favorites. It’s bright, fresh, and just the right amount of tart. These lemon bars are light and refreshing and have the most delicious layers. Let’s get started!
ALMOND FLOUR: Almond flour is a slightly nutty and hearty Paleo and gluten free baking flour. In this case, it makes up the majority of the shortbread layer.
COCONUT FLOUR: Coconut flour is a very absorbent flour. In addition, a little bit goes a long way.
HONEY: Honey is a delicious natural sweetener! It is used in both the shortbread layer and the lemon filling.
VANILLA EXTRACT: One teaspoon of vanilla extract adds a little flavor to the shortbread crust.
EGGS: Use room temperature eggs for best results. Whisk completely before adding in the remaining filling ingredients.
LEMONS: About 3 to 4 large lemons are needed for these Paleo Lemon Bars.
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line an 8 inch by 8 baking pan with parchment paper.
In a mixing bowl, combine shortbread layer ingredients. Mixture will be slightly crumbly. Press mixture into an even layer on the bottom of the baking pan.
Bake for 11 to 13 minutes or until edges are slightly golden. Then, remove from oven. TURN DOWN oven temperature to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
Meanwhile, using a KitchenAid or bowl and whisk, whisk 4 eggs. Add remaining lemon filling ingredients and whisk until NO flour clumps remain and mixture is uniform. This is VERY important!
Once shortbread layer is done baking, pour lemon filling immediately on top and return to the oven for about 15 to 18 minutes or until the middle is set.
Finally, allow lemon bars to cool for at least 2 hours before slicing into. Place bars in the fridge to speed up process.
If desired, top with powdered maple sugar (see my Chocolate Crinkle Cookie recipe for this recipe) or with organic powdered sugar.
How to Store Paleo Lemon Bars
Store leftover lemon bars in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
You May Also Like
Get the Recipe: Paleo Lemon Bars
- First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line an 8 inch by 8 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Make the shortbread layer first. Add all shortbread ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine. Dough will be slightly crumbly.
- Then, press shortbread dough into one even layer in the baking pan. Lightly pierce dough with a fork several times on top.
- Bake 11 to 13 minutes or until edges are starting to turn slightly golden. Then, remove from heat. TURN DOWN oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Meanwhile, using a large stand mixer or bowl and whisk, whisk 4 eggs. Add remaining filling ingredients and whisk until NO flour clumps remain. This is highly important!
- Once shortbread layer is done baking, pour lemon filling on top. Return to oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until the middle is set and not jiggly.
- Remove from oven and let lemon bars cool for at least 2 hours before slicing into.
- Top with powdered maple sugar or organic powdered sugar if desired.
Have you signed up for my free newsletter? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans and new recipes!