Buffalo Chicken Casserole
This buffalo chicken casserole is hearty, savory and flavorful! It is just spicy enough and packed with bold flavors. This healthy comfort food is a great weeknight dinner. Eat as meal prep or leftovers too. Both kids and adults love this casserole!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This buffalo chicken casserole is easy to make.
- Everything is mixed together in one mixing bowl.
- This recipe is made with wholesome, healthy ingredients.
- It is packed with protein.
- This recipe is low in carbs and sugar free.
- This is a great way to use up leftover chicken. Check out this Cast Iron Skillet Chicken Breast recipe or these Baked Chicken Thighs for easy chicken.
- As written, this recipe is Whole30 compliant, Paleo, Keto, low carb, gluten free, dairy free optional, and sugar free.
- Feel free to substitute potatoes or noodles for the cauliflower rice.
- Check out this Whole30 BBQ Chicken Casserole for another great idea.
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for buffalo chicken casserole. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Use cooked chicken for this recipe. This is a great way to use leftover chicken. Shredded chicken, rotisserie chicken and diced chicken all work well. I have not tried ground chicken, but it would work fine.
Use fresh cauliflower rice. Thaw frozen rice and remove excess moisture before adding to the mixing bowl. If you have a head of cauliflower, add it to a food processor. Then, process until rice. For other options, replace cauliflower rice with regular rice, spaghetti squash, cooked noodles or diced potatoes.
Buffalo sauce adds the spice! I love Primal Kitchen Foods buffalo sauce. Feel free to add more or less to suit your flavor preference.
Ranch dressing adds the creamy texture. I used a Whole30 sugar free version, but regular can be used as well. If desired, replace Ranch with blue cheese dressing.
Garlic powder, sea salt and black pepper add some flavor. These flavors are not overpowering, but just subtle enough.
The egg helps bind everything together. While this can be made without the egg, it will be more crumbly.
The egg is missing from this picture, but do not omit it!
Taste & Texture
This buffalo chicken casserole is hearty and spicy! It is not overly spicy. For spicier, use more buffalo sauce. For a more mild flavor, use less buffalo sauce or more Ranch. The biggest flavors are buffalo sauce and chicken. The cauliflower rice flavor is not detectable.
The texture is creamy! Try this Keto Buffalo Chicken Dip too.
How to Make
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
In a large mixing bowl, add all of the ingredients. Then, stir to combine.
Transfer to an 8 inch or 9 inch square pan. Smooth out into an even layer.
Bake for 30 to 32 minutes or until no longer jiggly in the middle.
Finally, remove casserole from oven. Top with more buffalo sauce or Ranch if desired.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Use shredded or diced chicken. The pieces should not be larger than ½ inch pieces.
Use fresh, not frozen, cauliflower rice. Thaw frozen cauliflower rice beforehand.
Mix everything together completely.
The egg helps bind the casserole together. I highly recommend not skipping this ingredient.
Do not skimp on seasonings. The garlic powder really brings out a nice flavor.
Bake buffalo chicken casserole until no longer jiggly in the middle.
Flavor Variations & Add Ins
There are some delicious ways to change up this buffalo chicken casserole!
Replace cauliflower rice with regular rice. This will no longer be Whole30 or Paleo.
Replace cauliflower rice with diced potatoes. Dice potatoes into no larger than ½ inch pieces.
Replace cauliflower rice with spaghetti squash. Be sure any moisture is squeezed out of squash.
Replace cauliflower rice with al dente noodles. This will no longer be Whole30 or Paleo.
Add in cooked red peppers, onions or carrots.
Feel free to add in a little more spice! Add in pinch of cayenne powder, cumin or chili powder.
For non dairy free, top casserole with cheese.
Substitute Ranch with blue cheese dressing. Or, crumble blue cheese on top.
Use ground chicken instead of shredded chicken.
How to Serve & Store
Serve buffalo chicken casserole hot and fresh from the oven! It is great served immediately or as leftovers.
Try this Buffalo Shrimp too!
This casserole is loaded with flavor, so it does not necessarily need a side dish.
If desired, serve with celery, peppers or tortilla chips.
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Either mix everything together and then refrigerate before baking. Or, bake and then store in the fridge until ready to eat.
Both work well.
Sure! Use diced potatoes, spaghetti squash, cooked noodles or regular rice.
Yes, the chicken needs to be cooked.
You May Also Like
- Buffalo Chicken Pasta
- Dairy Free Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Thighs
- Sous Vide Chicken Breast
- Buffalo Chicken Fries
If you make this buffalo chicken casserole recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Dinner Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Buffalo Chicken Casserole
- First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Transfer to an 8 inch or 9 inch square pan. Smooth out into an even layer.
- Bake for 30 to 32 minutes or until no longer jiggly in the middle.
- Finally, remove from oven. Top with more buffalo sauce or Ranch if desired.
- Any type of cooked chicken works. Shredded chicken or diced chicken work well.
- Use thawed cauliflower rice. Frozen cauliflower rice retains a lot of water.
- Feel free to substitute blue cheese for the Ranch.
- If not low carb, feel free to substitute cauliflower rice for cooked noodles, cubed potatoes or regular rice.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- For non dairy free, feel free to sprinkle cheese on top before baking.
Love this buffalo chicken casserole? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!