Whole30 BBQ Chicken Casserole
This Whole30 BBQ Chicken Casserole just screams comfort food! With fall approaching, I am ready for all the warm and cozy foods. This casserole combines my love of sweet potatoes and BBQ chicken for one delicious combo. It’s truly comfort food at its best – hearty and flavorful but made with good for you ingredients and Whole30 approved.
Ingredients for Whole30 BBQ Chicken Casserole
SWEET POTATOES: The sweet potatoes add a natural sweetness to this Whole30 casserole.
GHEE OR BUTTER: Ghee or grass fed butter is mixed with the sweet potatoes to make them extra creamy.
CHICKEN BREASTS OR THIGHS: Use skinless and boneless chicken breasts or thighs.
OLIVE OIL: A drizzle of olive oil helps brown the chicken in the skillet. In addition, the chicken gets a little crispy.
SEA SALT & PEPPER: Season chicken with sea salt and pepper to taste. Feel free to leave out entirely if desired.
BACON: Use sugar free bacon to keep this casserole Whole30 approved.
RED ONION: Freshly chopped red onion adds a crispness and freshness to this casserole.
CILANTRO: Garnish with fresh cilantro if desired.
How to Make Whole30 BBQ Chicken Casserole
First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Next, peel and chop sweet potatoes into 1 inch cubes. Add sweet potatoes to a large pot of water and boil for 20 to 25 minutes, until easily pierced with a fork. Remove from heat.
Then, add potatoes to a mixing bowl and mash with a fork. Add in ghee and mash until smooth.
Cube chicken into 1 inch pieces. Add chicken and olive oil to a skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle sea salt and pepper over chicken. Cook 2 to 3 minutes per side, until completely cooked through. Then, remove from heat.
Next, shred chicken with two forks. In a bowl, add chicken, crumbled bacon and 1/2 cup of the BBQ sauce. Stir to combine.
In a large casserole dish, add mashed sweet potatoes. Top with BBQ chicken and bacon mixture. Then, spread remaining 1 cup BBQ sauce on top.
Bake casserole for 25 minutes, until top is starting to slightly golden. Lastly, garnish Whole30 BBQ Chicken Casserole with red onion and cilantro.
How to Store Whole30 BBQ Chicken Casserole
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. To reheat, bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 7 to 8 minutes or until cooked through. Alternatively, reheat in microwave.
You May Also Like:
Get the Recipe: Whole30 BBQ Chicken Casserole
- First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Next, peel and chop sweet potatoes into 1 inch cubes. Add sweet potatoes to a large pot of water. Boil for 20 to 25 minutes or until fork tender.
- Remove sweet potatoes from pot and drain completely.
- Then, add sweet potatoes and ghee to a mixing bowl. Mash together.
- Cube chicken into 1 inch pieces. Add chicken and olive oil to a skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Cook 2 to 3 minutes per side or until cooked through. Then, remove from heat.
- Next, shred chicken with two forks. In a bowl, combine chicken, crumbled bacon, and 1/2 cup of the BBQ sauce. Stir to combine.
- Then, spread mashed sweet potatoes along the bottom of a casserole dish. Top with chicken mixture. Spread remaining BBQ sauce on top.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until top is starting to turn golden.
- Finally, remove from oven. Top with red onion and cilantro if desired.
Have you signed up for my free newsletter? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans and new recipes!