Cast Iron Skillet Chicken Breast
This cast iron skillet chicken breast recipe is quick, hearty and so flavorful! The chicken comes out juicy, tender and moist. Only 25 minutes total. This simple method creates perfectly cooked chicken breasts every single time! Great for meal prep, family dinners and leftovers.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This cast iron skillet chicken breast is quick and easy.
- Only 25 minutes needed.
- Everything is made in one skillet.
- The cast iron skillet provides the best flavor and texture.
- This recipe is versatile.
- Use chicken in soups, stews, casseroles, sandwiches, tacos, salads and more.
- Both kids and adults love this chicken recipe.
- This recipe is suitable for many diets.
- It is Whole30 compliant, Paleo, Keto, gluten free, nut free, sugar free, low carb and egg free.
- Check out these Gluten Free Chicken Tenders for another family friendly dinner.
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for cast iron skillet chicken breast. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Use avocado oil or olive oil. These oils are great for pan searing without burning.
Use fresh chicken breasts for best results. Boneless skinless are great for this recipe. If you have frozen chicken, thaw completely. Bone in chicken takes longer to cook through.
Season chicken with sea salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Feel free to adjust these amounts to suit your taste.
Butter adds great moisture. Spoon melted butter over chicken breasts. If desired, use ghee or dairy free butter.
Garnish with fresh herbs if desired. Basil, parsley and thyme are good options.
Taste & Texture
This cast iron skillet chicken breast is hearty and savory. The main flavors are chicken and butter. The seasonings adds a touch of flavor without being overwhelming.
This chicken comes out juicy and moist. The golden brown exterior adds a nice texture.
How to Make
First, add avocado oil to a big cast iron skillet over medium heat.
Pat the chicken dry. Bang a few times with meat mallet to tenderize. Season chicken on both sides with sea salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.
Once oil is hot, place chicken breasts in skillet. Cook for 6 to 7 minutes on each side. Cook until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Once chicken is cooked, turn heat off. Add the butter to the hot skillet. Use a spoon to spoon the melted butter over chicken breasts.
Finally, remove chicken to a plate. Serve with chopped fresh herbs on top.
Expert Tips & Tricks
For best results, use fresh chicken breasts. If using frozen, thaw completely before making this recipe.
Allow oil to get hot before adding chicken.
Season chicken liberally. Do not skimp on seasonings.
Feel free to add some paprika or cayenne powder for more heat.
Resist the urge to flip chicken many times over. It really only needs to be flipping once, maybe twice.
If chicken is burning, turn heat down.
Use a meat thermometer to accurately measure internal temperature. Chicken is safe to eat when it reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Once cast iron skillet chicken is done cooking, allow it to sit for 5 minutes before slicing into. This helps retain moisture.
How to Serve & Store
Serve cast iron skillet chicken breast about 5 minutes after cooking.
This chicken pairs well with salads, roasted veggies, mashed potatoes and more.
Serve with ketchup, mustard, BBQ sauce or your favorite condiment.
Use leftovers in soups, stews, casseroles, buffalo chicken dip and more!
Store chicken in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
Use boneless skinless chicken breasts.
Use a meat thermometer to test chicken. It is done when it has reached 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Use enough oil or butter to prevent sticking. A well seasoned cast iron skillet helps too.
Yes! This cast iron skillet chicken breast recipe uses butter.
No, do not use frozen chicken.
You May Also Like
- Instant Pot Whole Chicken
- Whole30 Chicken Wings
- Buffalo Chicken Casserole
- Sous Vide Chicken Breast Recipe
- Dutch Oven Roasted Chicken
If you make this cast iron skillet chicken breast recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Dinner Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Cast Iron Skillet Chicken Breast
- 2 tbsp avocado oil, or olive oil
- 3 chicken breasts
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- pinch onion powder
- 2 tbsp butter, or ghee
- fresh herbs, to garnish
- First, add avocado oil (or olive oil) to a large cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Pat chicken dry. Bang a few times with meat mallet to tenderize. Season on both sides with sea salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Once oil is hot, place chicken breasts in skillet. Cook for 6 to 7 minutes on each side. Cook until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once chicken is cooked, turn heat off. Add butter to the hot skillet. Use a spoon to spoon the melted butter over chicken breasts.
- Finally, remove chicken to a plate. Serve with chopped fresh herbs on top.
- This recipe works best with boneless skinless chicken breasts.
- Bone in chicken breasts will take longer to cook.
- Use a meat thermometer to measure internal temperature. To be safe, chicken needs to be 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Feel free to season with other seasonings if desired.
- Do not over cook chicken.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Love this healthy cast iron skillet chicken breast? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!
9 Comments on “Cast Iron Skillet Chicken Breast”
I’m going to try this recipe today I usually fix my chicken breast in the oven but this sounds good I have a iron skillet i use for other purposes i will let you know how i like the chicken breast in the skillet
I hope you enjoy it! Please let me know how it comes out.
So easy and delicious. Absolutely loved it!
This chicken breast turns out so moist and delicious
I love your recipe! So easy to prepare and wonderfully seasoned! Simply perfect!
An excellent recipe! I am always looking for something to make in my cast iron skillet and this recipe will be added to our dinner menu. Everyone loved the taste and I enjoyed having only a few dishes to wash.
These ARE perfect! I was going to grill, but then it started raining so I yanked out the cast iron skillet. The seasoning was just right. Used ghee and it was perfect for the hot pan.
Yum! My kids would love this chicken breast recipe!:) It has the right flavor and texture! I would love to pair it up with my favorite rice. Thanks!
So juicy and tender!