These banana brownies are gooey, fudge like and chocolaty! They are made in one mixing bowl and take only 25 minutes total. These rich and decadent brownies are made with wholesome ingredients. Each bite is chocolate perfection!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These banana brownies are quick and easy to make.
- Only one mixing bowl needed.
- No dough chilling.
- This recipe requires only pantry staple ingredients.
- These brownies are rich and fudge like, but made with nutritious ingredients.
- They are very chocolaty.
- The banana adds moisture and a gooey texture.
- This recipe is Paleo friendly, gluten free, dairy free, and refined sugar free.
- Check out these Avocado Brownies for another fun sweet treat!x
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for banana brownies. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Use all natural creamy peanut butter made from only peanuts and salt. Do not use a brand with added sugar or oil. For Paleo, use almond butter or cashew butter. For nut free, use sunflower butter.
Use ripe bananas. If you have some extra, try these Banana Bread Brownies too!
One egg helps bind these brownies together. I do not recommend trying a Vegan egg replacement. For eggless, make these Vegan Brownies.
Cocoa powder adds even more chocolate flavor. Both regular and dark cocoa powder work well.
Pure maple syrup adds sweetness. If desired, use honey.
Vanilla extract adds a great homemade flavor.
Only half a teaspoon baking soda helps leaven these brownies slightly.
Lastly, fold in chocolate chips for more flavor. Use any type of chocolate chips. I love Hu Kitchen for dairy free, refined sugar free chocolate.
These banana brownies are nutritious and healthy. Here are some of their health benefits.
Creamy nut butter is a great plant based protein source. In addition, peanut butter contains magnesium, Vitamin E and Vitamin B6.
Bananas are filled with antioxidants and potassium. Moreover, bananas contain soluble fiber. This helps you feel fuller longer.
Maple syrup is a great refined sugar free option. It is lower on the glycemic index than traditional white sugar.
These brownies are gluten free, dairy free, and refined sugar free. In addition, they are flourless. These brownies can be made Paleo with almond or cashew butter.
Taste & Texture
These chocolate banana brownies are rich, decadent and naturally sweet. The two main flavors are chocolate and banana. The peanut butter flavor is also detectable.
These brownies are very gooey and fudge like. They are not dry or chewy.
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line an 8 inch square pan with parchment paper.
In a mixing bowl, add all ingredients except chocolate chips.
Then, fold in the chocolate chips.
Spread brownie batter down into the lined pan. Smooth out on top.
Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until brownies look barely set in the middle.
Finally, remove from oven. Allow banana brownies to fully cool before slicing.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Use natural nut butter made from only nuts and salt. Do not use brands with added sugar or oil.
Use ripe bananas. Do not use green bananas.
The brownie batter is fairly thick.
Smooth batter into an even layer before baking.
Do not over bake. They should look barely set in the middle.
Allow brownies to fully cool before slicing.
How to Serve & Store
Serve banana brownies once fully cooled. They pair well with a drizzle of nut butter.
These brownies are rich and decadent. Consider serving with milk, whipped cream or ice cream.
Additionally, feel free to frost them.
Store brownies covered at room temperature for up to 48 hours.
Due to the banana, they will not last much longer at room temperature. Store in the fridge or freezer after 2 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
I have not tried substituting banana for oil in brownies.
Yes, they are gluten free and flourless.
Use all natural creamy peanut butter. Use creamy, not chunky.
Yes, they do freeze well.
You May Also Like
- Almond Flour Brownies
- Dark Chocolate Brownies
- Small Batch Brownies
- Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Almond Flour Banana Bread
If you make this banana brownie recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Dessert Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Banana Brownies
- 1 cup all natural creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup, or honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ⅔ cup chocolate chips
- First, preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line an 8 inch square pan with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, add all ingredients except chocolate chips. Batter will be pretty thick.
- Then, fold in chocolate chips.
- Spread brownie batter down into the lined pan. Smooth out on top.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until brownies look barely set in the middle. They will be gooey!
- Finally, remove from oven. Allow brownies to fully cool before slicing.
- Use all natural creamy peanut butter. It should be made from only peanuts and salt.
- If desired, replace with all natural almond butter or cashew butter.
- Use ripe bananas for best results.
- To keep this recipe dairy free and refined sugar free, use dairy free naturally sweetened chocolate chips. I love Hu Kitchen (use ADDISON15 for 15% off their website).
- The brownie batter will be much thicker than regular brownie batter.
- Bake only until the middle looks barely set. These brownies are meant to be gooey.
- Store brownies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- Then, store in the fridge or freezer.
Love these banana brownies? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!
9 Comments on “Banana Brownies”
Love the flavors of banana and chocolate together! This recipe is fabulously easy and gives really great brownies!
How did I never think to add a banana to my brownies?!? These were amazing – a real kid-pleaser!
I was already sold when you said gooey and chocolatey but oh-my they were amazing to eat!
Okay, this was literally the best of banana bread and brownies and I was skeptical at first, but had a bunch of bananas I want to use up, and it turned out SO GOOD. Super moist, and delicious, just the right amount of chocolatey flavors.
At first I thought..no wayyyy these are too good to be true. Fudgy chocolate and banana brownies? I had to bake them for myself. So glad I found this recipe. It’s a keeper!
Never thought of adding bananas to brownies but loved them. This is a good way to use up the frozen bananas, and love the fudginess of the brownies.
These brownies are WOW! They are so rich and chocolatey. such a treat! Thanks for the recipe 🙂
These incredibly simple brownies are really rich with flavor. My husband ate most of them!!
I’m obsessed with all things banana, so I can’t wait to give these brownies a try! They look amazing!