Baked Haddock Recipe
This baked haddock recipe is incredibly flavorful! The fish is tender and flaky. The cracker crumb topping adds a buttery crunch. This quick and easy recipe takes only 20 minutes total. It is easy enough for busy weeknights, but flavorful enough for special occasions.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This baked haddock recipe is quick and easy.
- Only 20 minutes needed total.
- This recipe requires only 7 ingredients.
- The fish is flaky and moist.
- The cracker crumb topping is buttery and crunchy.
- This recipe for baked haddock is simple and straightforward.
- Quick and easy enough for weeknights.
- Fancy and sophisticated enough for special occasions and holidays.
- This recipe is gluten free friendly. Use gluten free crackers.
- In addition, this recipe is nut free, egg free, and sugar free.
- Check out this Baked Tilapia Recipe for another seafood favorite.
What is Haddock?
Haddock is a white fish known for its mild flavor. In addition, it is very similar to cod. Haddock is just slightly sweeter than cod.
This fish comes from the northern Atlantic Ocean. Haddock are typically between 15 and 30 inches long. Their weight gets up to 3 to 4 pounds at the heaviest.
Haddock is a very common seafood dish. It can be grilled, smoked, baked, fried, broiled or pan seared.
Fish and chips is typically made with haddock. This British classic is also very popular in the United States, especially New England.
When cooked, haddock is white and flaky. It is very similar to cod in both flavor and appearance.
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for this baked haddock recipe. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Use fresh haddock if possible. If not, completely thaw frozen haddock fillets.
A little sea salt and pepper add a subtle flavor.
Any type of cracker crumbs work well. If desired, replace with breadcrumbs. Use gluten free if needed. For Keto, omit cracker crumbs.
Combine cracker crumbs with melted butter. For dairy free, use dairy free butter. In addition, ghee can be used as well.
Garnish with a squeeze of lemon juice and chopped fresh parsley. These are technically optional, but highly recommended.
Taste & Texture
This baked haddock recipe is fresh, buttery and light.
The fish becomes flaky and moist. The crumb topping adds crunch and texture. The texture contrast makes this fish dish so good!
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a baking dish with nonstick spray.
Pat haddock dry. Season on both sides with sea salt and pepper. Place seasoned fillets in baking dish.
In a bowl, combine cracker crumbs and melted butter.
Sprinkle cracker crumbs over the haddock fillets.
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until fish is flaky.
Finally, remove this baked haddock recipe from oven. Top with a squeeze of lemon juice and fresh parsley if desired.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Thaw frozen haddock before making this recipe.
Use your favorite type of crackers. I suggest ones that are buttery and not overly flavored.
If needed, replace crackers with breadcrumbs.
For Keto, omit cracker topping.
For gluten free, use gluten free crackers or breadcrumbs.
To test doneness, insert fork into fish. Twist. If fish easily flakes, remove from oven.
Do not over cook fish.
Taste and season as needed. You may want more butter, more pepper, or something else.
How to Serve & Store
Serve this baked haddock recipe hot and fresh from the oven. Top with lemon juice and fresh herbs.
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
I do not recommend freezing cooked haddock.
Frequently Asked Questions
Depending on the size, haddock only takes about 12 to 15 minutes in the oven.
Haddock is most commonly baked and fried.
Cook haddock until it reaches 140 degrees to 145 degrees Fahrenheit internally. For accurate results, use a meat thermometer.
Use gluten free crackers or breadcrumbs to make it gluten free.
Sure! The topping will be slightly less crunchy though.
You May Also Like
- Royal Red Shrimp Recipe
- Fried Lobster Tails
- Blackened Mahi Mahi
- Pan Seared Chilean Sea Bass
- Lobster Tail Recipe
If you make this baked haddock recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Dinner Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Baked Haddock Recipe
- First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Pat haddock dry. Season on both sides with sea salt and pepper. Place in baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine cracker crumbs and melted butter.
- Sprinkle cracker crumbs over the haddock fillets.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until fish is flaky.
- Finally, remove from oven. Top with a squeeze of lemon juice and fresh parsley if desired.
- If using frozen haddock, thaw completely before making this recipe.
- Any type of crackers can be used. Both gluten free and regular are good options.
- If desired, feel free to use breadcrumbs.
- To make this low carb and Keto, omit cracker crumbs.
- Fish is done when it easily flakes. Insert fork into fish and twist. If the fish easily flakes, it is done.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Love this recipe for baked haddock? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!