These are the best Vegan brownies ever! They have the perfect fudge texture and delicious chocolate flavor. This recipe takes only 35 minutes from start to finish. They do not use an egg replacement such as flax eggs or chia eggs. These eggless brownies are rich, intense, and absolute perfection!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These vegan brownies are quick and easy.
- They are fudge like and gooey.
- This recipe is not cake like or dry.
- They are very chocolaty.
- No egg replacements needed.
- This recipe is made without black beans, flax eggs or chia eggs.
- They are made with only pantry staple ingredients.
- This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, egg free, nut free and vegan.
- Check out these Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies for another great dessert.
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for vegan brownies. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Use Vegan butter sticks. Earth Balance makes a great product. I have not tried this recipe using coconut oil, but it should work. These Dairy Free Brownies use coconut oil.
Any type of dairy free milk works. To keep this recipe nut free, use coconut milk or oat milk. Almond milk works well too.
Granulated sugar helps create a shiny top. I do not recommend substituting a sugar alternative.
Chopped chocolate makes these brownies extra fudge like. The chopped chocolate creates most of the flavor, so choose your chocolate wisely. I recommend using some that is somewhat sweetened. Sugar free chocolate will not create that beautiful shiny top.
Vanilla extract adds a great flavor.
Use either all purpose flour or gluten free 1 to 1 flour. I used King Arthur Flour gluten free 1 to 1.
Cocoa powder adds even more chocolate! Both regular cocoa powder and dark cocoa powder work well.
Any type of vegan chocolate chips work. These are technically an optional add in, but highly recommended. Enjoy Life makes delicious dairy free chocolate chips.
There are several key ingredients in brownies that contain dairy. Here is what makes these vegan brownies delicious.
Vegan butter adds a great flavor and texture. Use sticks of butter.
The butter and dairy free milk help dissolve the sugar.
Dissolving the sugar helps create that shiny top. In regular recipes, eggs are used to create the beautiful tops of brownies. Eggs are obviously not vegan. The method of dissolving sugar replaces the need for eggs.
Chopped chocolate and chocolate chips add the chocolaty flavor. Finding great vegan chocolate is relatively easy these days. Enjoy Life is a great brand for allergy friendly chocolate.
Taste & Texture
These vegan brownies are chocolaty, rich and intense. They taste like classic fudge brownies.
The texture is spot on. The edges are slightly chewy while the middle is gooey. These brownies are not cake like or dry.
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line an 8 inch square pan with parchment paper.
Add Vegan butter, Vegan milk and sugar to a skillet. Cook on low heat, stirring constantly, until sugar has dissolved. Do not bring to a boil.
Once the sugar has dissolved, remove skillet from heat. Add chopped chocolate and vanilla extract to the skillet. Stir until completely melted.
In a mixing bowl, add flour and cocoa powder. Pour melted chocolate mixture in. Stir to combine.
Fold in chocolate chips.
Add batter to the lined square pan. Smooth out into one even layer.
Bake vegan brownies for 23 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out mostly clean.
Finally, remove from oven. Allow brownies to cool before slicing into.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Carefully measure all ingredients, especially the chopped chocolate.
Use vegan butter sticks, not a butter blend tub.
Allow the sugar to dissolve, but do not bring to a boil. This process only takes 1 to 2 minutes on low heat. Stir constantly.
Stir in chopped chocolate until fully smooth and creamy.
Spread brownie batter into an even layer in lined pan.
Bake only until brownies look barely set in the middle. Do not over bake.
To test if brownies are done, insert toothpick into the middle. If it comes out mostly clean with a few moist crumbs, remove from oven.
Allow vegan brownies to cool before slicing into.
Flavor Variations & Add Ins
Consider these flavor variations for your vegan brownies.
Add in mint extract.
Stir in chopped walnuts.
Top with vegan frosting or icing.
Add in vegan white chocolate chips.
Add in vegan mini chocolate chips.
How to Serve & Store
Serve vegan brownies once fully cooled.
Serve with a tall glass of almond milk, coffee or oat milk hot chocolate.
These brownies go well with vegan ice cream!
Store leftovers at room temperature for up to 4 days.
They are great chilled or frozen.
Frequently Asked Questions
Both regular and dark cocoa powder work well.
I recommend Enjoy Life dairy free chocolate chips.
Insert a toothpick into the center of the brownies. If it comes out with only moist crumbs, then brownies are done.
Use gluten free 1 to 1 flour for vegan gluten free brownies.
You May Also Like
If you make this vegan brownie recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Vegan Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Vegan Brownies
- First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line an 8 inch square pan with parchment paper.
- Add Vegan butter, Vegan milk and sugar to a skillet. Cook on low heat, stirring frequently, until sugar has dissolved. Do not bring to a boil.
- Once sugar has dissolved, remove skillet from heat. Add chopped chocolate and vanilla to the skillet. Stir until completely smooth and creamy.
- In a mixing bowl, add flour and cocoa powder. Pour the melted chocolate mixture in. Stir to combine.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Add batter to the lined square pan. Smooth out into one even layer.
- Bake for 23 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out mostly clean.
- Finally, remove from oven. Allow brownies to cool before slicing into.
- Use Vegan butter sticks. Earth Balance is great.
- Any type of Vegan milk works. For nut free, use oat milk or coconut milk.
- Be sure to use dairy free chopped chocolate and chocolate chips.
- I recommend using chopped chocolate that is sweetened. It is the biggest flavor in these brownies. Sugar free chopped chocolate will prevent those beautiful shiny tops!
- Do not allow the sugar milk butter mixture to boil. Just cook until sugar has dissolved. This only takes 1 to 2 minutes on low heat.
- The brownie batter will be somewhat thick.
- Bake only until brownies look barely set in the middle. They are meant to be gooey.
- Store leftovers at room temperature for up to 4 days.
- These brownies are great straight from the fridge or freezer.
Love these gluten free vegan brownies? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!