Avocado Banana Smoothie
This avocado banana smoothie is so creamy, thick and delicious! It takes only a few minutes to make and has the texture of ice cream. This healthy smoothie is great for breakfast, snacks or even dessert. You will not believe how creamy this smoothie is!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This avocado banana smoothie is made with only a few ingredients.
- It takes less than 5 minutes to make.
- The avocado makes the smoothie extra creamy. It also makes this Avocado Chocolate Pudding super creamy.
- This is great for an on the go breakfast or afternoon snack.
- This smoothie is naturally green.
- No kale, no spinach or no vegetables required.
- Additionally, it is delicious for dessert too!
- This recipe is Paleo, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, and can be made Vegan and nut free.
- Check out this Oat Milk Smoothie for another tasty recipe.
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for avocado banana smoothie. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Use a frozen ripe banana for best results. Frozen bananas add a great creamy texture to smoothies. Use a ripe banana to add natural sweetness. If you only have a fresh banana, the smoothie will be less creamy.
Likewise, use a ripe avocado for the best flavor. I used a small avocado for this recipe, but feel free to use a medium or large one.
Any type of milk works. For dairy free, Vegan and nut free, use oat milk. For a higher protein smoothie, use cow’s milk.
A tiny bit of vanilla extract adds a great vanilla flavor. Feel free to omit if needed.
Add in a scoop of protein powder for extra nutrients. Any type of protein powder works. Use Vegan protein powder if needed.
This avocado banana smoothie is loaded with vitamins, minerals and nutrients.
First, avocados are packed with nutritional benefits. They are high in heart healthy fats and fiber. Avocado is high in folate, magnesium, and potassium.
Bananas are one of the most inexpensive ways to consume nutrients. They are high in fiber, antioxidants, and potassium. In addition, bananas contain Vitamin C.
Depending on the type of milk used, milk can add great nutritional value as well. Almond milk is super high in Vitamin E and calcium. Cow’s milk is high in protein. Oat milk is Vegan, dairy free, and high in fiber and vitamins.
Any type of protein powder adds protein to this smoothie. Collagen protein is great for hair, skin, nails and joint health. Vegan protein powders are potentially easier to digest, but they still provide great protein.
Taste & Texture
This avocado banana smoothie tastes mostly like banana. The avocado flavor is not detectable. The vanilla flavor is subtle, but delicious.
This smoothie is truly the creamiest smoothie. It is smooth, thick and velvety.
How to Make
First, add all ingredients to a blender.
Blend until smooth and creamy.
Finally, pour smoothie into glass and serve.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Use a frozen ripe banana for the best flavor and texture. It is much easier to blend sliced frozen banana rather than a whole frozen banana.
Use ripe avocado for best flavor.
Blend until smooth and creamy. Depending on the brand of blender, this may take up to 30 seconds.
Add in protein powder for extra protein and nutrients.
For best results, immediately consume.
Flavor Variations & Add Ins
This avocado banana smoothie is so delicious. Consider these add ins.
Top with mini chocolate chips
Top with cacao nibs
Add in 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
Add in a pinch of cinnamon
Top with sliced bananas
Top with peanut butter
Add in a pinch of ground ginger
Top with coconut flakes
Top with chopped nuts
Add in some blueberries or strawberries
How to Serve & Store
Serve banana avocado smoothie immediately after blending.
This smoothie is rich and filling enough to act like a meal. Or, serve alongside a meal.
It is great for breakfast, a snack, and dessert.
Store smoothie in the fridge for up to 24 hours. After 24 hours, it may start to turn slightly brown due to the avocado.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ideally yes. The frozen banana adds so much thickness and creaminess. If you only have a fresh banana, the taste will remain the same.
Yes. Bananas and avocado are great together.
Adding an avocado to a smoothie adds so much creaminess.
This smoothie does not taste like avocado. It tastes like a vanilla banana smoothie.
You May Also Like
- Healthy Snickers Smoothie
- AIP Smoothie
- Chocolate Mango Smoothie
- Mint Chocolate Smoothie
- Paleo Chocolate Smoothie
If you make this avocado banana smoothie recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Breakfast Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Avocado Banana Smoothie
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 small avocado
- ½ cup milk of choice
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 scoop protein powder, optional
- First, add all ingredients to a blender.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Finally, pour smoothie into glass and serve.
- A fresh banana can be used, but a frozen banana makes this smoothie extra creamy.
- Use a ripe banana.
- For an extra sweet smoothie, feel free to add in a drizzle of maple syrup or honey.
- Use any milk of choice. To keep this Vegan and dairy free, use a dairy free milk.
- Protein powder is optional.
- This smoothie can be made up to 24 hours in advance.
- Store in the fridge until ready to drink.
- Nutrition facts do not include protein powder.
Love this avocado banana smoothie? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!