Oat Milk Smoothie
This oat milk smoothie is so thick and creamy! This recipe is made with only 4 ingredients and takes less than 5 minutes to make. This smoothie with oat milk is a quick and healthy breakfast or snack!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This oat milk smoothie is so quick and easy!
- It is thick, creamy and has the consistency of soft serve ice cream.
- Add any frozen fruits for a customizable flavor.
- It is made with only 4 ingredients.
- This smoothie is naturally sweetened, Vegan, gluten free, dairy free, and easily made nut free and Paleo.
- Check out this Vegan Snickers Smoothie for another great option!
Ingredients & Substitutions
There are only 4 ingredients in this smoothie recipe, so each one is very important.
Either homemade oat milk or store bought oat milk can be used.
Any kind of frozen fruit works well. I used frozen strawberries and frozen cherries. Frozen blueberries, pineapple, mango, and raspberries are all great options. I highly recommend using frozen fruit and not fresh fruit for extra thick and creamy smoothies.
Frozen banana adds such a creamy texture. In addition, banana adds natural sweetness.
Lastly, peanut butter adds both flavor and plant based protein. Feel free to use any nut butter. For nut free, use SunButter.
What is Oat Milk?
Oat milk is made from oats soaked in water. The oats are then blended together and strained through a cheesecloth or strainer.
Oat milk is a great Vegan and dairy free alternative to milk. Since oats retain water better than nuts, oat milk tends to be much more creamy than other plant based milk alternatives.
While oat milk is lower in protein than cow’s milk, it is actually higher in fiber and lower in sugar.
Taste & Texture
This oat milk smoothie tastes like peanut butter and jelly! The frozen fruit used has the strongest flavor. The banana flavor is also present, and the peanut butter rounds things out nicely.
It is smooth, creamy and thick.
How to Make
First, add all of the ingredients to a high speed blender or Vitamix. Blend on high until fully blended and creamy.
Next, pour into smoothie glasses. Finally, top with extra peanut butter if desired.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Use frozen fruit instead of fresh fruit for extra thick and creamy smoothies.
Do not skip the frozen banana and replace with other fruit. It really helps add creaminess and natural sweetness.
This smoothie is best consumed immediately.
For a thinner smoothie, add more oat milk.
How to Serve & Store
Serve oat milk smoothies immediately.
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 24 hours. Stir before drinking.
Variations & Add Ins
These oat milk smoothies are great as is, but consider blending in these add ins.
Scoop of protein powder
Sprinkle granola on top
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Oat milk is great for smoothies.
Both oat milk and almond milk are great for smoothies. Oat milk is usually slightly more creamy, so that would be my suggestion.
No. There is no need to add ice if using frozen fruit.
Check labels to make sure gluten free oats were used in the making of your oat milk. I have found that most brands are gluten free, but always double check.
You May Also Like
If you make this oat milk smoothie recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Vegan Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Oat Milk Smoothie
- 1 ½ cups oat milk
- 1 cup frozen fruit, I used strawberries and cherries
- 1 frozen banana
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- First, add all ingredients to a high speed blender or Vitamix. Blend on high until fully creamy.
- Pour into smoothie glasses and top with extra peanut butter if desired.
- Any frozen fruit works! I used a mixture of frozen cherries and frozen strawberries.
- The frozen banana really helps add natural sweetness and creaminess. I highly recommend not substituting another fruit in its place.
- Blend until fully blended and creamy.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
Love this oat milk smoothie? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!