Paleo Cranberry Sauce (Whole30, Vegan)
This Paleo Cranberry Sauce is sweet, tangy and bursting with flavor! This classic Thanksgiving side dish is quick and easy. It pairs well with turkey, chicken, and much more. This Vegan cranberry sauce takes less than 30 minutes to make and requires only a few ingredients!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This Paleo cranberry sauce is tangy, sweet and so yummy.
- It is an easy side dish for many meals.
- This recipe is made completely in one skillet.
- In addition, it is made without corn syrup and with orange juice.
- This recipe is Whole30 friendly, Paleo, gluten free, dairy free, and refined sugar free.
- Check out these Paleo Orange Cranberry Muffins for another fun recipe!
What is Cranberry Sauce?
Cranberry sauce is a sauce that is made from cranberries and typically served at Thanksgiving and Christmas.
This sauce has a jelly like consistency. It is often served with turkey.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Use fresh cranberries for best results. I have not tested this recipe with frozen cranberries but thaw cranberries before use. Then, squeeze out any excess water from berries before measuring and using.
The orange juice and zest adds the perfect amount of tartness and tangy flavor.
The cinnamon and nutmeg add warm spice to this cranberry sauce. Feel free to adjust amounts to suit your taste.
The water helps thin this sauce out.
A liquid sweetener adds sweetness. For Whole30 cranberry sauce, use date syrup. Otherwise, pure maple syrup and honey work well.
How to Make
First, add all ingredients to a skillet over medium heat.
Stir occasionally. Cook until desired consistency is reached, about 5 to 7 minutes. Cook longer for a thinner sauce.
Finally, remove from heat. Allow sauce to cool in pan for 10 minutes.
Lastly, garnish with orange zest if desired.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Fresh cranberries yield the best results.
Continue stirring sauce to prevent burning.
Cook until desired consistency is reached. The longer it cooks, the more thin it will become.
Variations & Add Ins
This Vegan cranberry sauce is great as is but here are some variations.
- Use half cranberries and half cherries
- Use half cranberries and half raspberries
- Add in 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Use half cranberries and half diced apples
- Add in a pinch of pumpkin pie spice
How to Serve & Store
Cranberry sauce is typically served chilled. This Paleo cranberry sauce is great served warm or chilled.
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
This sauce freezes well. Thaw before use.
Paleo Thanksgiving Recipes
Here are some great Paleo Thanksgiving recipes!
Frequently Asked Questions
Cranberries are Whole30 approved.
Yes, cranberries are low carb and can be eaten on a Keto diet in small quantities.
Sure! This cranberry sauce is great the next day.
Yes, cranberry sauce can be frozen and then thawed later.
You May Also Like
Get the Recipe: Paleo Cranberry Sauce (Whole30, Vegan)
- First, add all ingredients to a skillet over low medium heat. Stir occasionally until cranberries begin to burst and soften.
- After 5 to 7 minutes, some of the cranberries will have burst. Continue cooking for a smoother sauce, or remove from heat for a chunkier sauce.
- Finally, remove from heat. Allow sauce to sit in pan for 10 minutes to thicken.
- Garnish with more orange zest if desired.
- For Whole30, use date syrup.
- The orange juice should measure about 2 tablespoons. The zest will be approximately 1 tablespoon.
- Continue cooking until desired consistency is reached.
- Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- This serves 4 as a small side dish or sauce.
Love this Paleo cranberry sauce? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans and new recipes!