Paleo Ice Cream
This homemade Paleo ice cream is incredibly creamy and decadent! It takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish. This recipe is made with only 5 ingredients. This ice cream is naturally gluten free, dairy free and also refined sugar free. It is great for birthdays, holidays, and summer!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This Paleo ice cream is quick and easy to make.
- The ice cream maker does most of the work.
- This recipe can be made without an ice cream maker. See Notes section below recipe.
- It is made with only 5 ingredients.
- It is made without eggs, without bananas, without avocado and without dairy.
- This ice cream is naturally sweet.
- This recipe is Paleo, grain free, gluten free, dairy free, Vegan, and refined sugar free.
- Check out this Mint Chocolate Chip Nice Cream for another great dessert.
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for Paleo ice cream. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
For best results, use chilled coconut cream. Simply add the can of coconut cream to the fridge for at least 8 hours. Do not use light coconut milk. Unfortunately, it will not work.
Cocoa powder adds the chocolate flavor! For Paleo vanilla ice cream, simply omit this. Both regular and dark cocoa powder work well.
Pure maple syrup adds the sweetness. If desired, substitute with honey. Granulated sugar may make this ice cream too gritty.
A little vanilla extract adds a great flavor. Almond extract would be delicious too!
Any creamy nut butter works. Almond butter, cashew butter, sunflower butter and peanut butter (not technically Paleo) are great options.
Coconut Milk vs Coconut Cream
Coconut milk and coconut cream are similar, but different.
Canned coconut milk is much more thin than canned coconut cream.
Typically, coconut cream contains about twice as much shredded coconut than coconut milk. Thus, coconut cream is much thicker.
Coconut cream is much more creamy than coconut milk.
They can both be found at most grocery stores. Look in the Asian aisle or baking aisle. They both come in cans.
These ingredients are typically used in curry, soup, sauces or stews. They are a great dairy free alternative to milk. In addition, try them in smoothies or coffee!
In this case, use coconut cream. It is much more thick and creamy than coconut milk. I have tried both and had much better results with coconut cream.
Taste & Texture
This chocolate Paleo ice cream is rich, decadent and chocolaty! It is sweet, but not overly so. The maple syrup adds a great depth of flavor.
The texture is so creamy and smooth!
How to Make
First, make sure ice cream bowl has is completely frozen per manufacturers instructions.
Add all ingredients to a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy.
Then, pour mixture into the frozen bowl of ice cream maker. Churn for 20 to 25 minutes, or until it has the consistency of soft serve ice cream.
Either serve immediately for soft serve or add to a freezer safe container. Place lid on freezer safe container or place a piece of cling wrap on top. There should be no air accessible to the ice cream.
Freeze for at least 1 to 2 hours or until ice cream has reached desired consistency.
Store leftovers in the freezer safe container for up to 2 months. Before eating, allow ice cream to thaw at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes.
Expert Tips & Tricks
For best results, use chilled coconut cream. This yields the most creamy results.
Chill ice cream bowl for at least 24 hours. It needs to be completely frozen.
Churning takes anywhere from 15 to 25 minutes. Be patient!
Feel free to add in some mix ins. Chopped nuts, chocolate chips and a swirl of nut butter are all great options.
Soft Serve or Hard Serve Ice Cream
This recipe can be made into soft serve or hard serve ice cream.
For soft serve, serve immediately after churning. It is soft, creamy and delicious!
For regular ice cream, store ice cream in freezer after churning. Be sure to store in a freezer safe container with lid. After about 2 hours or so, it will harden.
The longer the Paleo ice cream freezes, the more firm it will become. Thaw before eating.
How to Serve & Store
Serve Paleo ice cream immediately or after freezing. It is delicious both ways!
Top with your favorite ice cream toppings or serve in an ice cream cone.
Store ice cream in a freezer safe container for up to 2 months.
Flavor Variations & Add Ins
Here are some fun ideas for your homemade Vegan ice cream.
Omit cocoa powder for vanilla ice cream.
Add in chocolate chips.
Add in coconut flakes.
Stir in nut butter.
Add in crushed cookies or brownies.
Add in chopped nuts.
Cookie dough makes a great addition.
Blend with milk to make this Vegan Milkshake!
Frequently Asked Questions
Typically, ice cream is not Paleo.
Halo Top is Paleo friendly, but not exactly Paleo.
Coconut Bliss is dairy free, but not certified Paleo.
Sure. Blend and pour into a freezer safe container. Then, stir by hand every 15 minutes or so until hardened. It may be slightly more icy this way.
No, this recipe does not taste like coconut.
You May Also Like
- Paleo Brownies
- Avocado Banana Smoothie
- Healthy Snickers Smoothie
- Paleo Dark Chocolate Banana Protein Smoothie
- Gluten Free Ice Cream Cones
If you make this Paleo ice cream recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Paleo Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Paleo Ice Cream
- First, make sure ice cream bowl has is completely frozen per manufacturers instructions.
- Add all ingredients to a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Then, pour mixture into the frozen bowl of ice cream maker. Churn for 20 to 25 minutes, or until it has the consistency of soft serve ice cream.
- Either serve immediately for soft serve or add to a freezer safe container. Place lid on freezer safe container or place a piece of cling wrap on top. There should be no air accessible to the ice cream.
- Freeze for at least 1 to 2 hours or until ice cream has reached desired consistency.
- Store leftovers in the freezer safe container for up to 2 months. Before eating, allow ice cream to thaw at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Chill bowl of ice cream maker for at least 24 hours. It should be frozen solid. Otherwise, the ice cream will not become frozen.
- Chill can of coconut cream for at least 8 hours. This really helps the process!
- I tried this without light coconut milk and it never churned into ice cream. I do not recommend replacing the coconut cream.
- To make this without an ice cream maker, blend all ingredients. Then pour into a freezer safe container. Cover. Then stir every 15 minutes or so until desired level of consistency is reached.
- Ice cream is good for up to 2 months in the freezer. Thaw before eating.
Love this Paleo ice cream? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!