Mint Chocolate Chip Nice Cream
This Mint Chocolate Chip Nice Cream is incredibly smooth and creamy! This nice cream is made with only a few healthy ingredients and does not require an ice cream maker. This Vegan and dairy free mint chocolate chip ice cream is such a refreshing and delicious dessert!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Who doesn’t love ice cream?
- This mint chocolate chip nice cream is a healthy and delicious alternative to traditional ice cream.
- It is significantly healthier than ice cream but tastes rich and decadent.
- The mint chocolate flavor is crave worthy!
- It is made without cream, without heavy cream, and without an ice cream maker.
- This recipe is Paleo, gluten free, dairy free, Vegan, and refined sugar free.
- Check out this Dairy Free Mint Chocolate Smoothie for another delicious recipe!
What is Nice Cream?
Nice cream is a dairy free alternative to ice cream. It is made with blended frozen fruit. This Vegan version of ice cream is surprisingly very smooth and creamy.
It is called nice cream because it is similar to traditional ice cream in flavor and texture, but nicer for your digestive system!
In this case, this mint chocolate chip version has the look and flavor of ice cream, but none of the dairy or added sugars.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Use completely frozen sliced bananas. The more ripe the banana, the more naturally sweet the nice cream will be.
Canned coconut cream is often sold in the Asian food aisle at grocery stores. It is very thick and creamy. Shake before use. If you only have canned coconut milk, do not shake can. Use only the hardened part on top that is very thick. For a last resort option, regular almond milk works too.
The pitted dates add a natural sweetness to this recipe. If needed, 1/4 cup of maple syrup, date syrup or honey can be used instead of dates.
Fresh mint leaves add such a pop of flavor! If you don’t have them, feel free to omit and add another drop or so of peppermint extract.
The peppermint extract really adds the mint flavor. Peppermint extract is extremely strong in flavor. Add only 1 drop and then add more after tasting if desired.
To keep this recipe added sugar free, I opted for a natural food coloring. Matcha powder, spirulina or another natural food coloring work well. When it comes to food coloring, a little bit goes a long way!
Add a tablespoon or two of almond milk if your nice cream is too thick to blend. Add just a little bit as needed.
The mini chocolate chips are a great size for this nice cream. Since they become frozen, regular sized chocolate chips tend to get too hard. Cacao nibs are also a great idea! I used Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips to keep this dairy free.
How to Make
First, add all ingredients except almond milk and mini chocolate chips to a high speed blender or Vitamix. Note: I did this in two steps. I added half the ingredients to my Vitamix, blended and then added the rest. I found this to be super helpful!
Blend on high until smooth and creamy. If needed, add a tablespoon or two of almond milk to help it blend.
Once smooth and creamy, fold in mini chocolate chips.
Line a bread pan with parchment paper. Pour nice cream into pan.
Serve immediately for soft serve ice cream. Alternatively, place a piece of plastic cling wrap on top. Store in freezer for at least 4 hours.
Finally, remove from freezer and scoop!
Expert Tips & Tricks
Use ripe bananas for a naturally sweeter result. Bananas need to be completely frozen.
Canned coconut cream yields a super creamy result! I highly recommend using this if you can find it instead of almond milk.
When it comes to peppermint extract, use very sparingly. It is extremely strong and flavorful.
I blended mine in two steps. I added half the ingredients to my Vitamix and blended. Then I added the remaining ingredients and blended again. This helped my Vitamix considerably.
Stop and scrape down sides of blender if needed.
Store ice cream in freezer with a piece of cling wrap on top of it. This prevents freezer burn.
How to Serve & Store
There are two great ways to serve this.
Serve immediately after blending for a soft serve nice cream.
Otherwise, freeze for at least 4 hours or until ice cream is frozen,
Store in freezer covered in plastic wrap for up to 2 months.
Natural Food Coloring
There are many great options for natural food coloring and food dyes. To dye this nice cream green, matcha powder and spirulina are great choices.
In addition, a little spinach or kale blended in can achieve the same color. I have not tried this nice cream with a leafy green.
Frequently Asked Questions
This nice cream is best within a month.
Use a high speed blender, Vitamix or food processor. Since the bananas are frozen, the mixture is extremely thick and creamy!
This nice cream tastes like mint chocolate chip with a slight banana flavor. The more peppermint extract you use, the less it will taste like bananas.
Sure! The fresh mint adds a great flavor but peppermint extract can be used by itself to flavor this nice cream.
Unfortunately fresh bananas will not yield a thick and creamy frozen mixture.
You May Also Like
If you make this recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, see this Desserts Recipes page.
Get the Recipe: Mint Chocolate Chip Nice Cream
- First, add all ingredients except almond milk and mini chocolate chips to a high speed blender or Vitamix. If needed, work in two batches. Blend half the ingredients first and then add the rest and blend.
- Blend on high until smooth and creamy. If mixture is too thick and will not blend, add 1 tablespoon of almond milk to blender to blend.
- Once smooth and creamy, fold in mini chocolate chips.
- Line a bread pan with parchment paper. Pour nice cream into pan.
- Serve immediately for a soft serve texture or place a piece of plastic cling wrap on top of pan. Freeze for at least 4 hours or until frozen.
- Finally, remove pan from freezer. Scoop into bowls!
- Each serving is approximately one large scoop.
- Slice bananas into chips before freezing. Freeze until completely frozen.
- Use canned coconut cream. If using canned coconut milk, use only the hardened part on top. See photo above for reference.
- Add 1 tablespoon of almond milk at a time if blender isn’t blending. A little bit of milk will help it blend.
- The matcha powder is solely for color. Use another food coloring if desired.
- This nice cream can be served either immediately for a soft serve texture or frozen for more of a traditional ice cream texture.
- When storing the ice cream, place a piece of plastic cling wrap on top. This prevents the ice cream from getting freezer burn.
- Store frozen for up to 2 months.
Love this mint chocolate chip nice cream? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans and new recipes!