Oat Flour Pancakes
These oat flour pancakes are fluffy, easy, and delicious! They are great for breakfast, brunch, or breakfast for dinner. These oatmeal flour pancakes are naturally gluten free!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These oat flour pancakes are so easy to make!
- Since they are made with oat flour, they are technically flourless.
- These pancakes are filling, slightly hearty and so tasty.
- They are great for any meal of the day!
- Top pancakes with your favorite toppings.
- This recipe is gluten free, easily made dairy free, and easily made nut free.
- Check out these Cassava Flour Pancakes and Cassava Flour Waffles for more great healthy breakfast ideas!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Oat flour is the base of these flourless pancakes. I highly recommend using store bought oat flour because it is very fine and has great texture. I do not recommend using another flour in this recipe.
The egg helps the pancakes hold together while cooking. These will not work with a chia egg, flax egg or Vegan replacement.
A little baking soda acts as the leavening agent. It contributes to a more fluffy pancake.
Pancake batter is commonly thinned out with milk or water. In this case, almond milk helps thin the batter out. Any milk works here!
Melted coconut oil is also used in the batter. Melted butter or melted Vegan butter can be used.
A hint of vanilla extract adds some flavor.
A pinch of cinnamon adds a classic cinnamon flavor. Feel free to add more or leave out completely if desired.
For coating the pan, use coconut oil, butter or Vegan butter. This prevents sticking and allows the pancakes to become golden with crispy edges.
Homemade Oat Flour or Store Bought
I have tried both homemade oat flour and store bought oat flour for these pancakes. Here are the takeaways.
Even after blending for 5 minutes with my Vitamix blender, the homemade oat flour was not fine enough. This yielded very dense and thick pancakes. In addition, the texture somewhat resembled oatmeal.
Store bought oat flour worked really well! It is much more naturally fine and created the perfect texture for these oat flour pancakes. I used Gold Medal oat flour and loved it.
Taste & Texture
These pancakes are not sweet by nature. Feel free to add a tablespoon of granulated sweetener to the batter for a sweeter result. The taste depends on any add ins or toppings.
These pancakes are soft and fluffy! They are golden in color and have those sought after golden crispy edges.
How to Make
First, combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Stir to combine. Batter will be slightly thin.
Allow batter to rest for 10 minutes at room temperature to slightly thicken.
After 10 minutes, add some coconut oil or butter to a large skillet or griddle over low medium heat.
Once oil has melted, pour batter in circles on the pan. They should be about 4 inches in diameter.
Once small bubbles have formed on top of pancakes, carefully flip.
Cook about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Add more coconut oil to skillet so that it is never dry.
Once pancakes are golden, remove from heat. Top with desired toppings and serve!
Expert Tips & Tricks
As mentioned above, I highly recommend store bought oat flour for best results.
Add a tablespoon of granulated sugar or coconut sugar to batter for sweeter pancakes.
The pancake batter should be slightly thin when mixing but thicker when pouring.
Add enough coconut oil or butter to skillet so that it is never dry. You will definitely have to continue adding more as you make pancakes.
Carefully flip pancakes. I like to use a larger spatula to do this.
How to Serve & Store
Serve oat flour pancakes hot from the skillet or griddle! They are delicious topped with butter, maple syrup, and chocolate chips.
Store pancakes in fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, add pancakes to a lightly greased skillet until warm. For a crispier result, use air fryer or toaster oven to reheat.
To freeze, place a piece of parchment paper between each pancake before freezing.
The toppings are endless! Here are some of my favorites.
Dark chocolate chips
Mini chocolate chips
Granola (try it!)
Jelly or Jam
Frequently Asked Questions
Any nonstick skillet works best. You will still need to coat pan with coconut oil or butter. My favorite is the Always Pan.
I would not recommend making these Vegan.
Yes! Add about 1/2 cup to the batter.
You May Also Like
If you make this oat flour pancakes recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Breakfast Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Oat Flour Pancakes
- First, add all ingredients to a mixing bowl. Stir until combined.
- Allow pancake batter to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes to slightly thicken.
- Add coconut oil or butter to a large skillet or griddle over low medium heat.
- Once coconut oil has melted, pour batter onto skillet in large circles. They should be about 4 inches in diameter.
- Once pancake has started to form small bubbles, flip pancakes with spatula. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cooked through. Add more coconut oil or butter to skillet so it is never dry.
- Finally, remove pancakes from skillet. Top with desired toppings and serve!
- These pancakes are not overly sweet. Feel free to add up to 1 tablespoon of white sugar or coconut sugar to batter for a more sweet result.
- I highly recommend buying oat flour. It is tough to blend oats enough to get them into a very fine powder.
- Any milk works. I used unsweetened almond milk to keep these pancakes dairy free.
- Coconut oil or butter work well for both the pancake batter and coating the skillet. Vegan butter can be used also.
- Flip pancakes once small bubbles have formed on surface of pancakes. Use a fairly large spatula to carefully flip pancakes.
- Continue adding coconut oil or butter to skillet so it is never dry. This prevents sticking.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- If freezing pancakes, place a piece of parchment paper between each pancake before freezing.
Love these oat flour pancakes? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!