Chocolate Covered Orange
These chocolate covered orange slices are incredibly delicious and super easy! The tart orange slices and the smooth creamy dark chocolate work so well together. This quick snack and dessert is great for holidays, birthdays and more!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This chocolate covered orange requires only 4 ingredients.
- They are easy to make and no bake.
- This recipe only takes 25 minutes from start to finish.
- They taste like candy but they are much healthier.
- For another fun treat, try these Rolo Pretzels.
- These are great for holidays and holiday gifting!
- Mix and match this recipe using other fruits.
- This recipe is Paleo, gluten free, dairy free, nut free, Vegan, and can be made sugar free and low carb.
- Check out these Chocolate Covered Gummy Bears for another fun recipe!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Use your favorite kind of orange. Even Mandarin oranges can be used in this recipe. Choose in season, bright and fresh oranges for the best results.
The dark chocolate chips provide a rich and decadent chocolate coating. If desired, milk chocolate, semisweet chocolate and even white chocolate chips can be used.
Coconut oil makes the chocolate coating more smooth. In addition, it hardens the chocolate while chilling. Use refined coconut oil for a neutral flavor. Shortening can be substituted.
A sprinkle of sea salt adds a great flavor. Chocolate and sea salt is always a winning combination!
Taste & Texture
The two strongest flavors are fresh orange and chocolate. Sea salt adds a great salty touch! These chocolate covered orange slices taste exactly as expected.
The orange is sweet and juicy while the chocolate coating is smooth and creamy.
How to Make
First, wash and dry oranges. Slice into 8 equally sized pieces, either ¼ inch rounds or wedges.
In a microwave safe bowl, add dark chocolate chips and coconut oil. Microwave in 30 second increments, stopping and stirring between each increment, until smooth and creamy.
Line a pan with parchment paper.
Dip each orange slice into melted chocolate either fully or halfway. Place on lined pan. Repeat for remaining orange pieces.
If desired, sprinkle with sea salt. Then, place pan in fridge for 15 minutes or until chocolate coating has hardened.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Use fresh, juicy oranges for best results.
Oranges can be sliced into thin rounds or wedges. Both work well!
Do not eat the orange peel.
For best results, stop and stir chocolate mixture between each 30 second increment in the microwave. This yields extra creamy chocolate and prevents burning.
The chocolate mixture makes a lot! Feel free to use leftovers for other fruits you may have on hand.
Store in fridge. I do not recommend freezing.
How to Serve & Store
Serve chocolate covered oranges once chocolate coating has hardened. Do not eat the peel!
Store in fridge. The chocolate will soften if left at room temperature for too long.
Variations & Add Ins
Use semisweet chocolate, milk chocolate or white chocolate if desired.
Consider sprinkling oranges slices with chopped nuts, sprinkles, or coconut flakes before chilling.
For Keto and low carb, use sugar free chocolate chips.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Orange and chocolate are a great pair.
Every fruit is great with chocolate! Popular choices include strawberries, raspberries, cherries, blueberries, and bananas. Try these Chocolate Covered Blueberries!
Yes! Use sugar free chocolate chips to make Keto chocolate oranges.
You May Also Like
If you make this chocolate covered orange recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Dessert Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Chocolate Covered Orange
- 2 oranges
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- dash sea salt, optional
- First, wash and dry oranges. Slice into 8 equally sized pieces, either ¼ inch rounds or wedges.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add dark chocolate chips and coconut oil. Microwave in 30 second increments, stopping and stirring between each increment, until smooth and creamy.
- Line a pan with parchment paper.
- Dip each orange slice into melted chocolate either fully or halfway. Place on lined pan. Repeat for remaining orange pieces.
- Sprinkle with sea salt if desired. Place pan in fridge for 15 minutes or until chocolate coating has hardened.
- Finally, serve!
- Slice oranges your preferred way. I cut mine into rounds so they are more visually appealing, but do not eat the peel.
- They can also be peeled and sliced before dipped into chocolate.
- Stop and stir chocolate mixture between each 30 second increment to prevent burning. It should only take two 30 second increments to be fully melted.
- This makes a lot of melted chocolate so you will probably have a little leftover. I like to use up any fruit in my fridge and dip it in!
- Dip as much or as little of the orange pieces in the chocolate as desired.
- Store in fridge for up to 4 days.
- I do not recommend freezing these.
Love this chocolate covered orange? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!
11 Comments on “Chocolate Covered Orange”
It was delicious!
I love this idea! So festive.
These turned out perfectly! The chocolate and orange were so great together, and I just love the flavor the sea salt added.
My favorite holiday flavor combo!
so pretty and festive treats or decor for cakes
Chocolate and orange are such a great combination. This is a much healthier snack than the classic Terry’s Orange.
great snack and dessert to enjoy orange and chocolate
Yum – a perfect flavor combination!
These are the perfect festive sweet treat!