Air Fryer Toast
This air fryer toast will change the way you make toast! It is easier, faster and more convenient than using a toaster. This air fryer method yields the most golden crispy and delicious toast!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This air fryer toast takes only a few minutes to make.
- No need to dig out your toaster or toaster oven.
- Depending on the air fryer brand, you can add 4+ pieces of bread at once.
- Unlike a toaster, top toast with bread or other toppings while frying.
- The air fryer makes the toast crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
- Depending on the bread used, this recipe can be Paleo, gluten free, dairy free, Vegan, low carb, Keto and sugar free.
- Check out this Paleo Bread for the perfect bread recipe!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Use desired type of bread. Gluten free, Paleo, Keto and Vegan breads are all great options.
Butter is a great topping for the bread. It yields toast that is crispy and buttery. For best results, use softened butter since it is easily spreadable. For dairy free and Vegan, consider using Vegan butter, melted coconut oil or olive oil.
See section below for bread toppings.
Taste & Texture
This toast is warm, buttery and hearty. It will taste like the type of bread used and butter (or oil).
If adding toppings after air frying, the flavors will be that of the toppings.
The texture is crispy crunchy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside.
Advantages of Using an Air Fryer
It seems unconventional to use an air fryer to make toast. Here are several advantages!
An air fryer typically fits more slices of bread than a toaster. My air fryer basket fits 4 slices of bread whereas my toaster only fits 2 at once. Thus, an air fryer cuts down on the time needed to toast several pieces of bread.
It is much easier to burn a piece of toast in the toaster oven.
Using an air fryer can potentially cut down on cross contamination for food allergies. For example, my family is not gluten free and uses our toaster for regular bread. If I then used that same toaster oven, it could lead to cross contaminated. Therefore, an air fryer makes sense for toasting my bread. That way I know I’m not indirectly coming in contact with their bread.
Air fryers are much more versatile and popular these days than toasters. If you are regularly using an air fryer, it makes sense to keep that handy in your kitchen. Then, it is super quick and easy to pull it out for toast.
Unlike a toaster oven, you can add butter or oil on top of your bread before air frying. This is a game changer! Toast from a toaster oven will not have a buttery flavor. Adding a spread of butter on top of the bread yields less dry toast.
I use the Ninja Foodi indoor grill with air crisp setting.
How to Make
First, lightly spray air fryer basket or pan. Set temperature to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Spread softened butter on one side of each piece of bread.
Place bread buttered side up in air fryer basket or pan.
Air fry for 4 minutes or until bread is toasted to your liking.
Carefully remove basket or pan from air fryer.
Finally, top toast with desired toppings and serve!
Expert Tips & Tricks
Every air fryer brand is different. This toast may only need 3 minutes or it may need 5 or more minutes.
Cooking times vary with type and size of bread, type of air fryer, and desired crispiness.
Feel free to check bread halfway through to check doneness and/or flip bread.
Texas toast works great in the air fryer too!
How to Serve & Store
Serve air fryer toast when it is hot! There’s nothing better than a warm piece of toast topped with homemade peanut butter!
Store leftover pieces of toast in the fridge. When ready to eat, air fry again for 1 to 2 minutes or until warm.
Variations & Add Ins
Consider adding these toppings to your bread BEFORE air frying.
Sprinkle of cinnamon
Dash of brown sugar
Small dash of nutmeg
Sprinkle of sea salt
Garlic powder or minced garlic to make garlic bread
Here are some great toppings for AFTER air frying bread.
Frosting and sprinkles
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Toast is great in the air fryer.
Depending on the make and model of air fryer, toast usually takes 3 to 5 minutes.
An air fryer can do everything a toaster can.
I used an air fryer basket and had great success! Follow this recipe exactly as written.
You May Also Like
If you make this air fryer toast recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Breakfast Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Air Fryer Toast
- 4 slices bread
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- Lightly spray air fryer basket or pan. Set temperature to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spread softened butter on one side of each piece of bread.
- Arrange bread buttered side up in air fryer basket or pan.
- Air fry for 4 minutes or until bread is toasted to your liking.
- Carefully remove basket or pan from air fryer.
- Finally, top toast with desired toppings and serve!
- Use your favorite bread. I used my homemade Paleo bread.
- For Vegan and dairy free, use Vegan butter, softened coconut oil or olive oil instead of butter.
- Every air fryer is different. Yours might only need 3 minutes or may need 5+ minutes.
- If using an air fryer basket, there is no need to flip toast halfway through frying.
- If using an air fryer pan, flip bread after 3 minutes and air fry another 1 minute or until toast is done.
- I use and love the Ninja Foodi indoor grill with air crisp setting.
Love this air fryer toast? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!