Cheese Quesadilla Recipe
This is the best cheese quesadilla recipe ever! They are crispy, cheesy and so delicious. This quick and easy recipe takes only 8 minutes total. They are great for both kids and adults. Add your favorite protein, veggies, fillings or toppings. Everyone loves them!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This cheese quesadilla recipe is quick and easy.
- Only 3 base ingredients needed.
- Only pantry staple ingredients required.
- Add in your favorite protein. Steak, chicken, pork, ham, beans, taco meat, beef hamburger, and bacon are great options. This Chicken Taco Seasoning instantly adds flavor.
- Much healthier than Taco Bell.
- No need to turn on the oven or grill.
- Feel free to add in veggies. Onions, peppers, spinach and corn are all great ideas.
- Both kids and adults love them.
- This recipe can be made gluten free, nut free, dairy free, Keto and low carb.
- In addition, this recipe can be made sugar free.
- Check out this Whole30 Taco Salad for another Mexican night favorite.
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for this cheese quesadilla recipe. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Flour tortillas work better than corn tortillas. Spinach tortillas work well too. For gluten free, almond flour, cassava flour or quinoa flour tortillas work well. For Keto and low carb, use low carb wraps.
A little butter helps make these quesadillas crispy and buttery. Ghee works fine too. For dairy free, use a drizzle of olive oil or avocado oil.
Shredded cheese adds all the cheesy flavor! The best cheese for quesadillas include Oaxaca, mozzarella, Mexican, Monterey Jack and cheddar. I recommend buying block cheese and shredded it at home. Otherwise, pre-shredded cheese works fine.
Lastly, feel free to add in your favorite meat, protein, or veggies. This cheese quesadilla recipe is versatile.
What is a Quesadilla?
A quesadilla is a traditional Mexican recipe made with tortillas filled with cheese. They sometimes contain meat, veggies or another filling. Quesadillas are then cooked on a stovetop.
Authentic quesadillas usually use corn tortillas. They can be made with flour tortillas.
A half quesadilla is made with one tortilla and folded in half. A full quesadilla contains two tortillas.
Taste & Texture
This cheese quesadilla recipe is cheesy, savory and hearty. They taste a little buttery and very cheesy.
The tortillas become golden and crispy. The cheese fully melts and becomes creamy.
How to Make
First, add half of the butter to a skillet over medium heat. Once the butter melts, place a tortilla down in skillet.
Arrange shredded cheese in an even layer. Then add the second tortilla on top.
Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on the first side. Then carefully flip quesadilla over. Add the second half of butter if needed.
Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes on the second side.
Finally, remove this cheese quesadilla recipe from the pan. Use a pizza cutter to slice quesadilla.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Choose high quality tortillas. Both flour and corn can be used, but flour tends to be more durable.
Gluten free tortillas work well. Siete brand makes Paleo grain free tortillas.
Choose a high quality cheese for best results. Blocks of cheese tend to melt better than pre-shredded cheese.
Butter makes these quesadillas extra crispy. Do not make in a dry pan.
Continue cooking until cheese has fully melted.
Use enough butter if pan becomes dry.
Best Cheese for Quesadillas
Not all cheese is created equal. Here are the best types of cheese for quesadillas.
Oaxaca cheese is a white Mexican cheese. It is somewhat hard. This cheese is similar to Monterey Jack, but has the texture of string cheese. This cheese melts well.
Mozzarella cheese is a great option for quesadillas. This Italian cheese melts well and is readily available in grocery stores.
Mexican cheese is great too!
Monterey Jack cheese is somewhat hard with mild flavor. This California cheese has a light sweet flavor as well.
Cheddar cheese is sharper, but melts well.
Traditionally, Mexican restaurants use a cheese called Asadero. This melty cheese is great for many Mexican dishes. It is creamy and delicious.
Freshly grated cheese is best for quesadillas. Pre-shredded cheese contain anti-caking preservatives which prevent it from fully melting. For that reason, use freshly grated if possible.
Flavor Variations & Add Ins
Consider these flavor variations and add ins for this cheese quesadilla recipe.
Add in ground taco meat.
Add in chopped chicken, grilled chicken, or rotisserie chicken. Check out this Mexican Chicken Marinade.
Use peppers and onions in the quesadilla.
Add in a chipotle quesadilla seasoning.
Dip in salsa or guacamole.
Use an alternative cheese like goat cheese.
Add in pepperoni to make pizza quesadillas.
How to Serve & Store
Serve this cheese quesadilla recipe hot and fresh! It is best served immediately.
Serve with salsa, queso, guacamole, avocado, rice, beans or salad.
It is also great by itself.
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To reheat, add a little butter to a skillet. Cook on low medium until warmed.
Frequently Asked Questions
The best cheese for quesadillas are Oaxaca, mozzarella, Mexican, Monterey Jack and cheddar.
Many Mexican restaurants use Asadero cheese. It is great for many Mexican dishes.
The butter makes them taste better. It adds a buttery flavor and crispy texture. Otherwise, feel free to add in your favorite protein and veggies. In addition, serve with salsa or guacamole.
Yes. Form the quesadilla and then air fry at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Air fry for 8 to 9 minutes, flipping halfway through.
While oil makes them more crispy, butter adds that classic buttery flavor! I love the flavor of butter and cheese, so I recommend using butter to coat the pan.
To freeze quesadillas, first let them cool completely. Then, line them up on a baking sheet in a single layer and freeze them for at least 2 hours, or until they are solid. Once they are solid, transfer them to an airtight container or ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 2 months. To thaw and reheat quesadillas, you can either thaw them overnight in the refrigerator or thaw them in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes per side. Once they are thawed, heat them in a skillet over medium heat until heated through.
Nonstick Skillet: This large skillet is great for making quesadillas.
Cheese Grater: If you are grating cheese, use a cheese grater. Freshly grated cheese melts better than shredded cheese.
Heat Resistant Spatula: I love cooking with this spatula set. It makes removing the quesadilla super easy!
You May Also Like
If you make this cheese quesadilla recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Dinner Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Cheese Quesadilla Recipe
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tortillas
- ⅔ cup shredded cheese
- First, add half of the butter to a skillet over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, place one tortilla down in skillet.
- Arrange shredded cheese in an even layer. Then add the second tortilla on top.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on the first side. Then carefully flip quesadilla over. Add the second half of butter if needed.
- Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes on the second side. Cheese should be fully melted by this point.
- Finally, remove from pan. Use a pizza cutter to slice quesadilla.
- I recommend using flour or gluten free tortillas for this recipe. Corn tortillas do not work quite as well.
- For gluten free, I love almond flour or quinoa flour tortillas.
- The best cheese for quesadillas include Oaxaca, mozzarella, Mexican, Monterey Jack and cheddar.
- If possible, buy a block of cheese and shred it yourself. Otherwise, shredded cheese works just fine.
- The butter makes these quesadillas extra crispy.
- Continue cooking until quesadilla is crispy on both sides and cheese is melted.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, add leftovers to a skillet with a little butter.
Love this cheese quesadilla recipe? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!