Air Fryer Ribeye Steak
This air fryer ribeye steak is incredibly juicy, hearty and flavorful! This recipe takes only 20 minutes from start to finish and yields the most irresistible steak. Using an air fryer makes this process extremely easy, quick, simple and straightforward!
This steak is from Gibson’s Steak which I highly highly recommend! The code SAVE15AL is good for 15% off their Game Day Box!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This air fryer ribeye steak is cooked perfectly.
- It is not dry or bland.
- The air fryer does all the hard work and yields the best texture and flavor.
- The ribeyes are extremely flavorful and juicy.
- This recipe is made without a grill and without an oven.
- These steaks are Whole30, Paleo, Keto, low carb, gluten free, easily made dairy free, and sugar free.
- Check out these Whole30 Garlic Steak Bites for another great idea!
- For the pressure cooker version, check out this Instant Pot Steak.
What is Ribeye Steak?
Ribeye steak comes from the beef rib section of cows. It is regarded as one of the best steaks to buy. Ribeye is the meat between the ribs. This cut of meat can be grilled, baked, air fried, sautéed or pressure cooked.
This section contains more fat, which creates the white lines of fat throughout. This yields extra juicy and tender steak!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Use high quality boneless ribeye for best results. Bone in can be used, but increase air frying time. Steak about 1 inch thick is the sweet spot. It is thick enough to enjoy, but not too thick that it takes forever to cook.
The sea salt and pepper add a little bit of flavor! Feel free to adjust to your taste.
Both garlic powder and onion powder add some seasoning while not being overpowering.
Taste & Texture
This air fryer steak tastes like a hearty and flavorful steak! The easy dry rub seasoning is flavorful enough to be noticed, but subtle enough to let the steak shine.
This steak is incredibly juicy and tender. Let the steak sit for 5 minutes after air frying to allow the juices to remain in the steak. This method yields super moist steak. It is melt in your mouth delicious!
Steak Doneness & Internal Temperatures
Air frying time depends on air fryer brand, thickness of steak, and personal preference. Below is the different internal temperatures for steak.
Rare has a cool pink center and is soft. The internal temperature is approximately 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
Medium rare has a warm pinkish red color and is the most popular choice. The internal temperature is approximately 130 degrees Fahrenheit.
Medium has a hot red center and is more firm than medium rare. The internal temperature is approximately 135 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit.
Medium well has very little red left in its center. The internal temperature is approximately 150 degrees Fahrenheit.
Well done steak is brown throughout and is the most firm. The internal temperature is approximately 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
How to Make
First, preheat air fryer to 390 degrees Fahrenheit.
Season both sides of ribeye steaks with sea salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.
Add steaks to air fryer basket.
Air fry for 9 to 11 minutes, checking internal temperature of steaks with meat thermometer. Depending on air fryer brand and thickness of steak, this time will vary. Mine took 10 minutes for medium.
Finally, remove from heat. Top with butter, herbs, or desired steak sauce.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Use a high quality ribeye for best flavor.
Allow steak to come to room temperature before seasoning and air frying. This yields the best flavor and texture.
If using frozen, allow the steak to fully thaw and reach room temperature before air frying.
Check internal temperature with a meat thermometer to prevent over cooking or under cooking.
Check steaks after 8 or 9 minutes. You can always cook longer if needed!
How to Serve & Store
Serve air fryer ribeye steak after it has been air fried and allowed to sit for 5 minutes. This allows the juice to stay inside the steak.
They are seen here served with Air Fryer Diced Potatoes.
How to Choose the Perfect Ribeye
Grass fed steak tends to be more flavorful than grain fed.
Look at the white marbling. This is fat and adds so much flavor!
Choose a steak with some thickness. A steak about 1 inch in thickness is best for creating a crispy exterior and soft tender interior.
I used Gibson’s Steak boneless ribeyes which I highly recommend!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, ribeyes are great in the air fryer.
This depends on the thickness of steak and air fryer brand.
No, there is no need to flip the steaks.
Yes! Allow the steak to sit for 5 minutes after air frying to retain its juices.
You May Also Like
Get the Recipe: Air Fryer Ribeye Steak
- First, preheat air fryer to 390 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Season both sides of steaks with sea salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Place steaks in air fryer basket.
- Once air fryer is preheated, place basket in air fryer.
- Air fry for about 9 to 11 minutes. The thicker the steak, the longer it will take to cook through.
- Use meat thermometer to test internal temperature. A medium rare steak is about 135 degrees Fahrenheit internally. See blog post above for specific cooking times and temperatures.
- Finally, remove from heat. Allow steak to sit for 5 minutes to retain its juices. Then, top with sliced butter, herbs, or steak sauce if desired.
- I used boneless ribeye steaks for this recipe. They were about 1 inch thick.
- All air fryers are different so cooking time may vary. Thicker or thinner steaks will require different cooking times.
- I cooked mine 10 minutes for medium.
- Use a meat thermometer to check temperature of steak.
- For rare, air fry about 8 minutes, medium rare 9 minutes, medium 10 minutes, medium well 11 minutes and well done 12+ minutes. These are all according to my air fryer and may vary depending on which brand you have.
- I have the Ninja Foodi Indoor Grill which has an air fryer setting.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Love this air fryer ribeye steak? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!