Crispy Air Fryer Diced Potatoes
These crispy air fryer diced potatoes are the perfect side dish, appetizer or snack! They are quick and easy, golden crispy, and versatile. Serve them as breakfast potatoes, with lunch and dinner, or eat by themselves. These diced potatoes in the air fryer are irresistibly delicious!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These air fryer diced potatoes are so crispy!
- They are made with only a few ingredients.
- The seasonings can be adjusted to suit your taste.
- Unlike oven roasted potatoes, the air fryer heats up quickly and yields extra crispy potatoes.
- This recipe is Whole30 approved, Paleo, gluten free, dairy free, Vegan, nut free and sugar free.
- Check out these Whole30 French Fries for another air fryer favorite recipe!
- For added flavor, check out these Mexican Potatoes.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Red potatoes and Russet potatoes are great options for this recipe. They both maintain their shape and do not get soggy or mashed. In addition, they get nice and tender on the inside. Baby golden potatoes and Yukon gold potatoes are also great.
A little olive oil helps the seasonings stick to the potatoes. Additionally, the olive oil yields crispier potatoes. Avocado oil, melted coconut oil, or vegetable oil can be substituted.
The seasonings all add a nice touch of flavor without being overpowering. Feel free to adjust amounts to your liking. These air fried potatoes are also great with a little paprika or cayenne powder for some spice
Best Potatoes To Use
Look for fresh potatoes that are firm and without any bruising. Here are some varieties of potatoes that air fry well.
Red potatoes are naturally high in sugar and low in starch. They crisp up nicely in the air fryer while maintaining a creamy fluffy inside.
Russet potatoes turn a beautiful golden color when air fried. They too will have a soft melt in your mouth inside.
Yukon gold potatoes are a desirable choice due to their low starch and high sugar properties. These potatoes are slightly softer than Russet potatoes, but equally as delicious.
All three of these types of potatoes are great options for air fryer diced potatoes. Use whatever you have on hand or whatever you prefer!
Taste & Texture
These air fryer cubed potatoes have the taste of a French fry. They are golden in color and have that signature potato taste.
These potatoes are crispy on the outside, and soft and pillowy on the inside. They are small enough to be reminiscent of breakfast potatoes.
How to Make
First, preheat air fryer to 390 degrees Fahrenheit.
Wash and pat dry the potatoes. Dice them into 1 inch cubes.
Add cubed potatoes to a large bowl. Add in remaining ingredients.
Toss until potatoes are completely covered in oil and seasonings.
Arrange potatoes in one even layer in air fryer basket.
Air fry for 15 minutes. Then, use fork to check if potatoes are fork tender. Add additional air frying time and flip potatoes if necessary.
Finally, once potatoes are tender on the inside, remove from air fryer. Serve with choice of dipping sauce.
Expert Tips & Tricks
For the best air fryer diced potatoes, dice potatoes into equal size. This ensures they will all be fried equally. See below for whether or not to soak the potatoes beforehand.
Toss potatoes with olive oil and seasonings until fully coated. This yields uniformly tasting potatoes.
Arrange potatoes in an even layer and avoid overlap. This ensures extra crispy potatoes.
Check if potatoes are fork tender. They might seem crispy on the outside but may not be fully cooked through. Insert fork into potatoes. If it slides in and out easily, potatoes are done. If the potatoes are still somewhat firm, flip potatoes and add more time.
To Soak Or Not To Soak
Soaking potatoes before roasting or air frying is a great idea in theory. This removes some of the starch from potatoes and yields the most incredible texture.
If you have time, I highly recommend soaking your potatoes in water for up to 1 hour.
I find when I’m throwing together an air fryer dinner, I do not always have an hour to soak the potatoes. These are still delicious without the pre-soak.
In conclusion, soak the potatoes if you have time. Then pat dry and begin recipe. If you do not have time, check to make sure they are fork tender and soft on the inside.
How to Serve & Store
Serve air fryer diced potatoes hot from the air fryer! These are definitely best eaten fresh and hot. Serve with your choice of dipping sauce!
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
Depending on your air fryer, these potatoes need anywhere from 15 to 25 minutes.
If you have time to soak the potatoes, then do so. It releases starch and aids in creating soft tender potatoes. If you do not have time, no worries!
I have the Ninja Foodi indoor grill that doubles as an air fryer. Relatively speaking, it is powerful.
Yes, this recipe is gluten free.
You May Also Like
If you make this air fryer diced potatoes recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Side Dish Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Crispy Air Fryer Diced Potatoes
- First, preheat air fryer to 390 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash and pat dry potatoes. Dice into 1 inch cubes.
- Add diced potatoes to a large bowl. Add in remaining ingredients. Toss until potatoes are completely coated in olive oil and seasonings.
- Arrange potatoes in a single layer in air fryer basket.
- Air fry for 15 minutes. Test to see if potatoes are fork tender in the middle. Insert fork into a diced potato. If it goes in and out smoothly, remove potatoes from air fryer. If potatoes are still firm, cook another 5 to 7 minutes or until tender.
- Finally, remove air fryer basket from air fryer. Serve potatoes with choice of dipping sauce.
- If you have time, soak potatoes in a bowl of water for up to 1 hour before air frying. Then pat dry and begin recipe. This yields extra crispy potatoes but is not necessary in a time crunch.
- Red potatoes and Russet potatoes tend to do best in an air fryer. They maintain their shape but get tender in the middle.
- Feel free to adjust seasonings to suit your taste.
- My air fryer does a great job of evenly frying everything inside. If desired, flip potatoes at the 15 minute mark when you test if they are fork tender.
- Different air fryers have different power levels, so you may need to adjust your cooking time.
- Store potatoes in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Love these air fryer diced potatoes? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!