Air Fryer Filet Mignon
This air fryer filet mignon is so tender and juicy! The air fryer cooks steak perfectly. This recipe takes only 12 minutes total. The end result is a perfect cooked filet mignon! Great for family dinners, holidays, special occasions and more!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This air fryer filet mignon is melt in your mouth tender!
- It takes only 12 minutes total.
- Only minimal seasonings needed.
- Feel free to double or triple this foolproof recipe.
- Get that restaurant taste at home.
- This steak tastes gourmet and fancy, but it is so easy.
- The garlic butter adds moisture and flavor.
- Great for Christmas, holidays, birthdays, and more.
- This recipe is Keto, Paleo, Whole30 compliant, gluten free, sugar free, low carb and nut free.
- Check out this Air Fryer Ribeye Steak for another great recipe!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for air fryer filet mignon. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Use a high quality filet mignon for best flavor results. If you only have frozen steak, completely thaw before air frying. I do not recommend air frying directly from frozen.
Both sea salt and black pepper add flavor. If desired, use Montreal steak seasoning.
For the topping, use softened butter or ghee. For dairy free, use dairy free butter.
Add a little minced garlic to the softened butter. This adds so much flavor.
If desired, add some fresh herbs to your compound butter.
What is Filet Mignon?
Filet mignon comes from the end of the tenderloin of a cow. The name filet mignon is French. It translates to “cute” or “dainty” filet. Filet mignon steaks are typically smaller in size.
This cut of beef is taken from the thing end of a tenderloin. It is commonly served as a round steak.
Filet mignon is more expensive than most cuts of beef. Since so little filet mignon is butchered, it is pricy. This is also due to its super tender texture.
Filet steaks can be grilled, baked in the oven, cooked in the sous vide, pan seared or air fried.
Benefits of Air Frying
There are several benefits to filet mignon in the air fryer.
First, no need to turn on the grill or oven.
The air fryer is a small and accessible kitchen appliance.
This recipe requires no preheating time.
No need to flip the steak. In fact, air fryer steak remains so juicy because they do not flip over. This allows all of the juices to remain in the meat.
Taste & Texture
This air fryer filet mignon is hearty, savory and flavorful. It tastes like a classic steak.
These steaks remain very juicy. Since they do not flip over, all the juice remains in the filet mignon. This steak is melt in your mouth tender.
How to Cook Filet Mignon in Air Fryer
First, remove filet mignon from fridge 30 minutes before cooking.
Pat steak dry with paper towels. Generously season on both sides with sea salt and pepper.
Place steak in the air fryer basket. Air fry at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes for medium rare. If needed, continue cooking.
While steak is cooking, add softened butter and minced garlic to a small bowl. If desired, add in some chopped fresh herbs. Stir to combine.
Finally, remove filet mignon steak from air fryer. Place on a plate and put butter on top. Allow it to sit for 5 minutes before slicing into.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Use fresh filet mignon. Or, fully thaw frozen steaks.
Remove filet from fridge 30 minutes before air frying. This brings it to room temperature.
Generously season steaks.
If your steak is thicker or less thick, adjust cooking time.
All air fryers are different. Please use a meat thermometer to check internal temperature.
Use the meat thermometer to prevent overcooking.
Top with garlic butter for even more moisture and flavor.
Allow air fryer filet mignon to sit on the plate before slicing into.
Time & Temperature
This time and temperature chart is for 1.5 inch thick filet mignon in the air fryer. All air fryers are different, so use a meat thermometer.
|Rare||8 to 9 minutes||120 to 130 degrees Fahrenheit|
|Medium Rare||10 minutes||130 to 135 degrees Fahrenheit|
|Medium||11 to 12 minutes||135 to 145 degrees Fahrenheit|
|Medium Well||12 to 13 minutes||145 to 155 degrees Fahrenheit|
|Well Done||Over 13 minutes||Over 155 degrees Fahrenheit|
How to Serve & Store
Serve air fryer filet mignon with compound butter on top!
Pair with these Honey Sriracha Brussels Sprouts.
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
To reheat, add steak to air fryer. Air fry at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for a couple minutes, until warm.
Frequently Asked Questions
Filet mignon is a French name. It translates to cute or dainty filet.
Beef tenderloin is larger and longer than filet mignon. Filet mignon is much smaller and has almost no marbling.
Sure! Adjust air frying time as needed.
Filet mignon is one of the most expensive cuts of steak.
Use a meat thermometer to test doneness. It is generally considered safe to eat at 145 degrees Fahrenheit internally.
You May Also Like
If you make this air fryer filet mignon recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Join my exclusive Facebook Group for a behind the scenes look. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Dinner Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Air Fryer Filet Mignon
- 1 filet mignon
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp softened butter, or ghee
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- fresh herbs, if desired
- First, remove filet mignon from fridge 30 minutes before cooking. This allows the beef to come to room temperature.
- Pat steak dry with paper towels. Season generously on both sides with sea salt and pepper.
- Place steak in air fryer basket. Air fry at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes for medium rare. If needed, continue cooking to desired temperature.
- While steak is cooking, add softened butter and minced garlic to a small bowl. If desired, add in some chopped fresh herbs. Stir to combine.
- Finally, remove steak from air fryer. Place on a plate and put butter on top. Allow it to sit for 5 minutes before slicing into.
- Use fresh filet mignon if possible. Fully thaw frozen filets before making this recipe.
- The recommended time and temperature is for 1.5 inch thick filet mignon steak.
- Generously season. Feel free to use Montreal steak seasoning if desired.
- The garlic butter is totally optional, but highly recommended.
- Use a meat thermometer to check internal temperature.
- For rare, temperature is 120 to 130 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Medium rare is between 130 and 135 degrees Fahrenheit.
- For medium, cook between 135 to 145 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Medium well is 145 to 155 degrees Fahrenheit.
- For well done, cook above 155 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Allow steak to sit on the plate for 5 minutes before slicing into. This locks in the juices.
Love this air fryer filet mignon? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!